Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with the nmb stepper pm35s-048

Posted by jdev 
Problem with the nmb stepper pm35s-048
June 05, 2013 05:58PM
Hi fellow:
Im posting this because I dont have a typical circuit test for this steppe. So I decided write an e-mail to company for support if they have the schematic circuit, BUT i had respond from sales team redirecting my mail to my zone where i live two days later the e-mail turn in blackmail from them saying We're the team sales Brazil, if have an order to purchase 1000 steppers or 10k$ for purchase We " Kindly" provide a specific driver for your project, otherwise we dont bring any support thanks for prefer us!!!!!! TADA DAAAAAH!!!!grinning smiley

That thing pissing off anybody right?. I'm needing help my custom test circuit, the stepper i test with a led and this got on so the coils are fine, the circuit test i implemented work fine too. BUT the stepper doesnt move moody smiley

The stepper

My circuit

hot smileyTHE EVIL COMPANYhot smiley
hot smiley nmbtchot smiley
Dont buy anything from this company or support it

Cheers smileys with beer
VDX
Re: Problem with the nmb stepper pm35s-048
June 05, 2013 06:14PM
... can you show the connector PCB with more details?

If all 5 pins are connected, then the motor could be an unipolar stepper - then it steps when the coils are single energized, not in pairs as with bipolar types ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 05, 2013 06:24PM
from the circuit or the stepper? datasheet stepper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2013 06:30PM by jdev.
VDX
June 06, 2013 02:32AM
... from the datasheet it's a common bipolar with BLACK/BROWN for coil A and ORANGE/YELLOW for coil B and pulling between 0.3A to 0.5A of current.

So any bipolar stepper driver should work, if you limit the current to 400 to 500mA -- 12Volts should be fine, but much better with 24Volts ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

June 06, 2013 02:46AM
AFAIK minebea doesnt sell to end users like us. They make custom stepper motors for other companies. Therefore end user support is not their "thing". Which probably explains the behavior. That stepper is probably recuperated from some discarded printer or similar. To test the stepper, use a multimeter to measure coil resistance and to ensure they arent interupted or shorted in a wrong way.
Also afaik, you may need a few R and C near the 555.
June 06, 2013 02:54AM
Datasheet is 4 wire, but the picture shows 5 wire. Maybe datasheet could be from something else. Just to be sure, should measure with multimeter to see if the 5th wire is common or not. If it is indeed unipolar with common gnd, then bipolar driver may not work.
June 06, 2013 12:33PM
I know the 555 need the R and C is on the real breadboard as i said my test circuit is work finespinning smiley sticking its tongue out Im having my pulse by 555 is just a block schematic and the picture is reference the datasheet explain are 4. I was thinking use 239 motor driver. I'll let you know to seee what happen by the recommendation for VDX
June 06, 2013 07:51PM
I think it is a 5 wire unipolar, I have similar ones.

I guess that it is a discontinued version that Minebea no longer make, but they have kept the model number and replaced it with 4 wire bipolar version. The picture of the 5 wire one above doesn't match any of the ones in their current product lineup.
VDX
June 07, 2013 02:06AM
... this with 'unipolar or bipolar' was my initial question regarding the 5-pin connector - in the datasheet it's clearly a 4-wire bipolar, but the connector didn't fit to the image, so maybe some type-mismatch confused smiley

Viktor
--------

June 07, 2013 02:24PM
No buddy my stepper is for 4 wires as told you the picture is just reference taken from the internet not is the real i have, the real one have 4 wires smiling bouncing smiley

BTW my capacitor is 470 mF 16v and all resistor are 1k 1/4w

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2013 03:28PM by jdev.
June 07, 2013 03:31PM
Ok at last I fixed my tablet and I could take a picture of my stepper (dare devil!) here is the real

BIPOLAR STEPPER

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2013 05:20PM by jdev.
June 08, 2013 05:54AM
jdev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No buddy my stepper is for 4 wires as told you the
> picture is just reference taken from the internet
> not is the real i have, the real one have 4 wires
> smiling bouncing smiley

That is not what you said before. If you post partial and misleading information, no one is going to be able to help you, I can see why NMB weren't interested.

You've obviously made a mistake with your driver circuit, no point trying to blame the motor or NMB. I guess you copied the circuit from the internet somewhere without understanding how it is supposed to work.
June 08, 2013 07:32AM
Your drive circuit is for a unipolar motor (5 or 6 wires) but you have a 4 wire bipolar motor, so it will not work. ULN2803 will only connect each coil to ground. There is nowhere to connect the supply to the motor.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 08, 2013 11:06AM
bobc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jdev Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > No buddy my stepper is for 4 wires as told you
> the
> > picture is just reference taken from the
> internet
> > not is the real i have, the real one have 4
> wires
> > smiling bouncing smiley
>
> That is not what you said before. If you post
> partial and misleading information, no one is
> going to be able to help you, I can see why NMB
> weren't interested.
>
> You've obviously made a mistake with your driver
> circuit, no point trying to blame the motor or
> NMB. I guess you copied the circuit from the
> internet
somewhere without understanding how it is
> supposed to work.

Look i dont need copy and paste from internet ok thats my design circuit i used many applications like walkers, light sequencer I have many design i share it in other forums PLUS I PUT THE LINK OF THE DATASHEET REFERRING SPECIALLY pm35s-048 AS RIGHT NOW IT WAS POSTED and lastly fixed the tablet to a picture thats wasnt enough for you??
VDX
June 10, 2013 04:11AM
... read through the thread again - there were some questions regarding the differences between the motor image, the posted datasheet and your schematics.

Yo seems to have intermixed the bits of bipolar and unipolar driving of a bipolar(?) stepper - you need the correct driving methode for your particular stepper or it simply won't move in the right way ...

Viktor
--------

June 10, 2013 03:03PM
Hi Viktor

Lets recap everything right from scratch to be clear

This is my actual bipolar stepper im working for it and have 4 wires

The Datasheet for this stepper

In the last reply they told about uln2003 doesnt work with bipolar and thinking before, so I thought use the l293d for this case thats is my plan B, just replace uln2003 for this one, because maybe is the reason it doesnt move eye rolling smiley

And I cant edit anymore the first post, i cant put it down sad smiley

thanks good fellow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 03:06PM by jdev.
VDX
June 10, 2013 04:28PM
... OK, then you have a bipolar stepper with two coils - one between BLACK/BROWN and one between RED/ORANGE.

So you'll need a common bipolar driver, e.g. a pololu, stepstick or what you can source ... it's mostly not worth the fuzz to make an own driver ...

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login