Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about electronics kit at MakerStore

Posted by Colecoman1982 
Hi,

I don't know if there's anyone frequenting this boards that can answer this question, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm thinking about putting together a repstrap and have been trying to find a way to avoid having to solder my own components onto PCBs (I'm ok with a soldering iron, but I've never had to deal with ICs or surface mount components and I'm more of a mechanical/software person by interests/background). I was checking out the MakeStore and, unfortunately, they don't seem to have had the time to include much in the way of technical details with many of the products they sell. The, specific, problem I have is with the electronics kit. I can't tell from the picture if all the boards have the components pre-soldered or if the kit is intended that the builder has to attach them. If anyone here can shed some light on the situation it would be greatly appreciated.

-Shawn
Re: Question about electronics kit at MakerStore
March 20, 2009 05:39PM
The boards are a kit of parts and you have to assemble them yourself.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
March 20, 2009 05:50PM
The Arduino Duemilanove is assembled though and not far from the specifications of the Sanguino.
March 20, 2009 07:02PM
bobt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The boards are a kit of parts and you have to
> assemble them yourself.

I think his question is: Is it SMD or normal soldering?
March 25, 2009 07:13PM
Hi Colecomen,

I've got pretty much the same background as you. Mechanical + Software/coding but very little, if no, electronics experience.

I bought the electronics kits back in November and didn't feel comfortable even trying to solder the small boards till this past weekend. It's not really all that bad, so long as you take some time to do some research on good soldering techniques.

Also, try to find a local group that you can ask questions. I've been attending Seattle Robotics Society meetings and it's amazing the kind of stuff I've learned. I've pretty much never soldered in my life (when I was 15 I played around with an iron, but that doesn't really count) and I've managed to solder up the 3 opto-endstop boards, along with the temperature sensor and the arduino breakout shield. Everything works too!

So, I realize your apprehension on assembling the kits yourself, but I think it's probably easier than you think. The main thing I'm worried about is long-term durability of the solder joints since I'm sure my technique isn't the best... but the way I see it is, I'm learning and if something fails later on, I'll have to find a way to replace it the best I can.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm not an expert, but I'm probably a lot closer to your skill level and can empathize with your concerns.

Good Luck

-John

([email protected])
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login