Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Arduino Mega

Posted by unfold 
Arduino Mega
March 28, 2009 11:09AM
Officially announced: the Arduino MEGA with more of about everything.
[arduino.cc]

There is a nice comparison by Zach on the makerbot blog of Arduino, Arduino Mega and Sanguino. [blog.makerbot.com]
Looks like a nice piece of hardware for reprap v.3 (6-axis/6-printheadssmiling smiley)
Re: Arduino Mega
March 28, 2009 09:40PM
I just ordered one and want to see how far I can drive it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2009 09:44PM by Robert Teeter.

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
VDX
March 29, 2009 03:20AM
... recently i was going the other direction ...

For a very simple stepper-controller i was searching the simplest possible ready-to-use microcontroller/evaluator with USB - i found the AVR MySmartControl with an AtMega168 for 28 Euros ( [www2.produktinfo.conrad.com] )

Viktor
March 30, 2009 03:15PM
Yep My AVR is a neat little board thanks for the link Victor.

I just received the RepRap mother board V1.1 from the RRRF. I have not built it yet.

With it in my hands I think it’s a very neat solution.
Zack has made it very universal by adding IDC connections for each axis particularly with the addition of the SD card reader it’s become a powerful little beastie.

It now looks like it will be so much easier for some one who is not an electronics engineer to connect up a Darwin or Repstrap machine using a Pre-build board.

I must emphasize Pre-Built.

I think it is only with use of Pre-built boards the RepRap community will expand to include people who are not interested in the electronics.

Yet they are really bitten by the idea of replicating / designing and printing 3D objects. Any thing we can do to make it an easier task is great news.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
May 13, 2009 10:54AM
Hi Bodgeit,
You say about supplies of pre-built electronics being essential. I don't know about that. I am no electronics expert - beyond looking at a burnt-out component (in our last breadmaker) and knowing it's a gonner, I have no idea what the component is, or how to fix it.
However, I did get an interest (A level physics, just don't ask how long ago that was) - I've just never done any, but my other half reckons I'd be good at soldering because I have a joy of fiddly things that involve patience as long as no brute force is also required.

I have just seen the post on the Paperduino, and after looking at the website thought that may be something I can do. After all, I can follow instructions!

Now if there were PaperGuinos, Papaboards (sic), and Paperstruder controllers (can I call it PaperStrudel?) to make, hey I'd be there. I'd do them myself if I understood the schematics etc (but I haven't a clue!)

Challenge anyone?

Early Learning Electronics, here I come....

Hazel

[copycatbot.blogspot.com]
Re: Arduino Mega , Paperduino, and alternatives
May 13, 2009 03:07PM
MotorAssist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I have just seen the post on the Paperduino, and
> after looking at the website thought that may be
> something I can do. After all, I can follow
> instructions!

Hello Hazel & Co.,

Except for getting away from the cost of a PC board, I don't see the Paperduino as being easier for a newbie to get working than a non-surface-mount kit, such as the Sanguino. I think it'd be harder to get right at first -- all those point-to-point wires to cut, strip, solder, route..... If you're going to solder anyway, why not do it on a rigid, pre-drilled, pre-tinned PC board (with solder mask to help prevent shorts) -- and that won't char as easily as paper.

-- Larry
Who's planning on watching SMT soldering via hotplate this weekend.
We (some Boston area folks) went in on a Makerbot cupcake CNC kit.

Larry Pfeffer,

My blog about building repstrap Cerberus:
[repstrap-cerberus.blogspot.com]
May 13, 2009 04:49PM
Hello Larry,
cutting/stripping wires is no problem for me (I've rewired a house). Soldering is probably no problem. Or if the wires are long enough, it may be possible (if inelegant) to use tiny connectors.

The thing about the original board(s) is that you have to have access to the specific board ready-marked etc and you have to know how things connect and what it all means. I think the thing about the paperduino is that you don't so much.
That's what I meant: rather than using the schematic as is, I need easy-follow instructions (where the routing has already been worked out for me) which can be achieved without having the original boards (PCBs), which are unavailable in the UK, apparently.

Or that's what I'd like, anyway.

As it is, looks like I'll have to get them shipped from the US with all the extra import tax and tax handling charges and delay that will entail.

Hazel
May 13, 2009 05:49PM
Hazel, et al,

One of the main points of a PC board (at least a properly-done one) is that there is printing on the board "art layer" showing what components go where, and their orientation. So, you don't need to understand the circuit to stuff and solder it. The Sanguino board is labelled this way.

Of course, to fix problems if they occur, some understanding (and a meter, etc.) is helpful, but that's true for the paperduino just as it is for virtually any circuit.

I'd suggest (bare) perforated board (thin fiberglass, with holes on 0.1 inch centers)instead of paper. I suspect Farnell carries it, among many others. Or paper taped to perfboard, until it works, then remove the (probably charred) paper.

Are the bare PC boards really unavailable in the UK? I seem to recall somebody mentioning a price (20 Eu?) below which duties, etc. weren't bothered with.

If getting the bare boards is a problem in the U.K., is there a way for you to get AVR chips with the arduino/compatible bootloader burned?

Just my random opinions,

Larry Pfeffer,

My blog about building repstrap Cerberus:
[repstrap-cerberus.blogspot.com]
May 14, 2009 10:11PM
Larry_Pfeffer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hazel, et al,
>
>
> If getting the bare boards is a problem in the
> U.K., is there a way for you to get AVR chips with
> the arduino/compatible bootloader burned?
>
> Just my random opinions,

It's easy to do with the USB to Serial cable, I have blogged about the process of using our standard cable at this link. Though the avrdude commands would need to changed for other types of AVR chips.

[exmrclean.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 10:13PM by freds.
VDX
June 29, 2009 03:39AM
... for my development of a repstrap with multitooling (paste-dispensing, lasercutting, milling) where i need some more RAM and IO i recently ordered an Arduino Mega and found some interesting Arduino hacks too - e.g. the Quadruino/Multiduino ( [www.freeduino.de] ) with 4 Atmegas on a single PCB connected via I2C.

So the fork of master and slaves could be reduced to a single PCB, what makes the assembly a bit easier than with a set of slave-controllers connected via cables ...

Viktor
June 29, 2009 06:55AM
Ive recived 3 diffrent AVR/Atmega boards to evaluate based around the ATMega128 cpu with a price range of £19 up to £49. Also the low cost Atmega328 chip > £5 to upgrade the Aurdrino decima eg 16k to 32k flash.
Ive added a printer port to my PC to enable flashing boot loaders and bought the AVR USB programer. I will post the results of the investigation/experiments.

Back to ready built..~

I empasized ready built because there a lots and lots of people who would be put off by the electronics in kit form. This can be seen by the huge market in pre built CNC controllers, the thought of electricity frightens some people or they just want instant plug and play control. When in 1988 I had a computer shop for 10 years I was supprized by the number of users who just did not want to install any kind of add on to their PC no mater how simple. They just wanted to pay some one to do it "properly". I guess its a bit like car servicing Im sure there is not so much DIY car maintaince now.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login