Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ordering components in the UK for PCBs

Posted by MotorAssist 
Ordering components in the UK for PCBs
June 18, 2009 11:16AM
I really need some help here. Is there any one UK supplier which can suply all, or nearly all, the components for the following PCBs?

optoendstop v2.1
GM3 noise suppressor v1.0
temperature sensor v2.0
stepper motor driver v2.3

I can get just 4 components at Maplin (fairly readily accessible by bus), and if anyone has a parts list for these PCBs for RS, that would also be useful, as I can get to one of their depots, too.

Otherwise, I'd like to limit my P&P charges to just one supplier if possible.

There are too few details given about what the ESSENTIAL criteria are for each component on the part lister, and I am new to electronics and just don't know. I've spent all afternoon going round the houses!

Please, can anyone help?

Hazel.
Re: Ordering components in the UK for PCBs
June 19, 2009 02:11AM
I've used Farnell
[uk.farnell.com]
who seem to supply much more than maplin, in fact, they supply so much it's hard to find what you want!

If you've got a parts list with numbers, they can probably help you - I even got the 'official' RRRF 100k thermistors from there, they seem to have/import a lot of parts from the US.

You will need to buy minimum quantities of some parts though - paticularly SMD components - often 10, 20 or 50. However, I bought 50 resistors for £0.0045 each, so it's still under a pound and you've got lots of spares.

Minimum order is £20, but if you're getting all the parts for your boards, you'll probably go higher than that.

Good luck

p.s. They're fine with non-commercial (hobby) orders, and signing up is relatively painless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2009 02:13AM by David Reynolds.

---
Reprapping blog and other rants: [renoirsrants.blogspot.com]
My Reprap: [sites.google.com]
June 19, 2009 06:43AM
Hi Dave,
IF I had part numbers for Farnell, or RS, that would be easy - but the only part numbers available on the parts lister are for Mouser, generally. And I don't know which/what of those item details as listed in Mouser are the essential criteria for ordering elsewhere.

How did you go about ordering the thermistor from Farnell - how did you know which was the right one? (the thermistor is the only part I DO know, because Nophead directed me to one in RS).

Hazel.
June 19, 2009 08:50AM
I normally use [www.rapidonline.com]
Their stock is not as extensive as Farnell (but still very large), they are more orientated to smaller purchases.
June 19, 2009 02:04PM
OK, this might take a while, but:

Go to the parts list : [parts.reprap.org]

note down which part and how many:

click through to the mouser page: the manufacturer part number from the mouser page can help you search through farnell: e.g. [uk.farnell.com]

If you don't find an exact match :

Most of the components are SMD size 1206. select this size first.
Then, e.g. the resistor or capacator value : 10k

get the list, and search by price (ascending, cheapest first):
e.g.
[uk.farnell.com]|0&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=1206+10k&Ntx=&locale=en_UK&appliedparametrics=true&getResults=true&originalQueryURL=http%3A//uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp%3FN%3D500006%2B1000291%26Ntk%3Dgensearch_001%26Ntt%3D1206%2B10k%26Ntx%3D%26No%3D0%26getResults%3Dtrue%26appliedparametrics%3Dtrue%26locale%3Den_UK

look for the cheapest ones in-stock - note that you'll probably have to get 50 of some. At least you'll have some spares.

Maybe between the UK'ers, we should put together some alternative parts lists.

We can store them on the builder's wiki?

---
June 19, 2009 03:07PM
ah-ha, I understand - I didn't know you could look for the manufacturer's part number in the suppliers' websites.
OK, got (a lot of) it now! Thank you so much.

Actually, most of it isn't surface-mount, so far, but I've only just got to the stepper motor driver, which is, so your searching technique will be most useful there.

The one item I've not been able to identify yet is the 3mm green LED, on the opto endstop and the temp, sensor boards - do you know if Farnell's [http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=9929495&_requestid=272490] is right?
(The Mouser part is given as [http://gb.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=859-LTL-4231N-1], or the Futurlec part is given as [http://www.futurlec.com/LEDG3R.shtml], and these seem very different.)

Rapid Online is filling holes from Farnell, so far. so I was glad of that info too.
I'll be putting my purchase list up on my blog, but doing something on the Wiki pages is a good idea. We do, of course, have access to Mouser UK, but at £12 delivery charge.....

Thanks for the pointer,
Hazel.
June 19, 2009 03:09PM
Hi GreenArrow,
Thank you very much for another source - I am finding them very useful for those parts Farnell do NOT have!
I am actually getting somewhere now - with relief.

Hazel
June 19, 2009 05:17PM
Green LED looks OK to me.

I'd bet that most generic LEDs would work OK in the circuit - they're only for indication.

Electronics can sometimes be very forgiving in values of components, and as long as the LED lights up, you're good.

I've got a maplin mixed bag of LEDs (about 30 different types) for playing with, and they all seem to be very similar.

Good luck! I hope you manage to find everything - I'm thinking about getting some gen3 boards too, as I've only got a lowly arduino running my whole setup - and that can't handle the current firmware (too small!)

I'd better fix my extruder first... smiling smiley

---
June 22, 2009 08:03PM
I have just got the Atmega328 chip to replace the lowly arduino 16k chip on my Arduino Decima board I have not fitted it yet or put the boot code on.

It is fully pin compatible with Atmeg168 with an extra 16k for around £5 P&P

I am waiting for a low cost:-

Atmega 128 bd to arrive < £30 inc P&P I think this may need a mod or two to convert to enable use of the Arduion SW

and

A pucka Arduion Atmega1280 Bd to arrive < £45 inc P&P

I also bought some of the 226521 - 89 at www.conrad.nl as sugested in Erik's Blog
[blog.erikdebruijn.nl] fast delivery huge box ream of A4 size with 4 of the extruder gears in.

I havent got an allan key small enough for the grub screw I found my smallest torx instriument screwdriver fitted the grub screw ok.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login