Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS for Due!

Posted by bobc 
Re: RAMPS for Due!
November 13, 2015 09:03AM
We can put 5 Volt from the first of the extension Pin.
It works, but personaly I think the module ESP8266 is good for nothing.

Bluetooth (HC-06 Modul) is Ok for wireless conections.

I like the PanelDue and when I have more Time I have to test it also :-)
[www.think3dprint3d.com]

For Wifi I also check at first the
mks tft28 v1.2 smart touch (2,8" the PanelDue has 4,3 " Touch Display)
+
mks hlkwifi

W-LAN:
Personaly I like the UDOO Quad.
The most reprapers use the new Raspi with Octoprint /Repetier-Server ...
The Hackerspace-FFM guys prefer to add only a Arduino due and the 8" Windows Tablet for less then 100 Euro.

A modular Electronic Setup is not easy, because you have 1000 options and possibilitys and extension and and and.

Depends what you need for your Printer Setup.

Mein Club: [hackerspace-ffm.de]
RADDS-Shield -> Commercial [max3dshop.org]
November 13, 2015 09:18AM
I successfully used the RAMPS-FD, and although it is definitely beta-quality, it was a good board until I destroyed it (a high power stepper driver blew up and took out a bunch of other stuff with it).

If you read the comments in this thread, you can figure out how to make reasonably good use of it.

However, like most 3D printer controller boards, it is dangerous to leave it alone for any length of time. For this board, it is a little worse than that, for example if processor power goes off (disconnected UScool smiley, then the heaters go on continuously, so you will turn your extruder into an aluminum torch.

So by all means, experiment with it if you have it, but be careful.

My next purchase is likely to be the replicape version B that is on kickstarter: [www.kickstarter.com]

The drawback is you still have to buy a beaglebone. But the combination of the two should be darn near the best combination you can get for a high speed 3D printer.
November 13, 2015 09:56AM
angelo
We can put 5 Volt from the first of the extension Pin.
It works, but personaly I think the module ESP8266 is good for nothing.

The ESP8266 has low bandwidth, so I suspect it will never be able to provide a decent file upload speed. However, monitoring printer status and sending manual gcodes doesn't need much bandwidth. So perhaps it would be good enough for that.

angelo
For Wifi I also check at first the mks tft28 v1.2 smart touch (2,8" the PanelDue has 4,3 " Touch Display)

The PanelDue controller also works with a 5" touch display, and I hope to qualify a 7" touch display within the next few days. The latest firmware supports up to 4 extruders on the 4.3" display, and up to 6 on the larger displays.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 14, 2015 06:20AM
Ah, it's quite sad seeing Angelo saying stuff like that about ESP8266.
I got my ESP running with RADDS and even uploading files (~2 minutes for a 1.5 mb, lol). It is quite neat to spend $3 instead of ~$70 (raspberrypi + wifi dongle) for wifi monitoring feature.
I normally physically take SD card out of printer, put a bunch of g-code files for a day on it, put it back in printer and just look how it goes and start-stop the jobs from my phone with ESP8266.
@dc42 ESP8266 can be powered from RADDS' I2C +V pin that is 3.3V from DUE afaik. Tried that and it works. What made me add a 5V->3V regulator is that connection is pretty ugly: you have to pull a wire from other part of the board and it just asks to be tangled in and come loose... :-D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2015 06:24AM by toxuin.
November 23, 2015 02:29AM
@toxuin
ESP8266 can be powered from RADDS' I2C +V pin that is 3.3V from DUE afaik ...

I will test it,
Can you give me (us) a short discription for configuration, please

thank you.
Angelo

Mein Club: [hackerspace-ffm.de]
RADDS-Shield -> Commercial [max3dshop.org]
November 23, 2015 02:35AM
Sure! It's pretty much described for RADDS on my github, here's link: [github.com] – read the below at the description. If you have any questions – I would gladly help! And I can confirm ESP8266 can be from I2C 3.3V and GND pins n RADDS, works just fine.
December 23, 2015 07:15PM
Hi

Just playing around with the RAMPS-FD from Geeetech...

Want to install on an i3, which has 2 stepper motors for the Z axis.

On the regular RAMPS, or even RADDS, there are 2 headers for the Z axis.

The RAMPS-FD only seems to have a single header for the Z axis.

Any ideas how I can simply set up the second Z axis stepper motor?

Thanks
December 24, 2015 03:55AM
Just wire them in series, that anyway for most motors a better choice compared to the parallel wiring of the double plugs. See here.
December 29, 2015 04:18AM
Thanks for the reply. Will give it a try.

By the way - how does RAMPS 1.4 do it?
March 18, 2016 01:19AM
Does any one has a complete Pinout of this Board with all pins and connections?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2016 01:21AM by AlexanderSz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login