Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sanguinololu board running low voltage motors

Posted by raiyans 
sanguinololu board running low voltage motors
September 11, 2013 07:42AM
Hey guys!

So I bought the Sanguinololu board. My stepper motors are rated at 2.8 volts and 1.68A. The Sanguinololu board accepts a 12 V input but in any case not lower than 7 volts.
So my question is, would it be a problem if I connected the motor directly to the board or would I need to lower the voltage first. I am not sure how much the output voltage of the board will be.

Thanks in Advance.
Re: sanguinololu board running low voltage motors
September 11, 2013 08:52AM
The voltage rating on stepper motors is effectively the minimum voltage required to make them work. You can use higher voltages than the "rated" voltage through a stepper driver (the higher the voltage, the faster each "step" will be). With the Pololu (A498x) and TI (DRV 88xx) drivers, you actually need a voltage higher than the "rated" voltage of the stepper motor coils to get them to step at a reasonable speed. I personally try and select motors so that the rated voltage of the stepper driver is less than 1/3 of the supply voltage (so, for 12V, I use motors that are rated for 4V or less).

So you can run the Sanguinololu board off 12V no problem with those motors.

Note: The 1/3rd rule is not based on specific rule, it's just something that I've tested and found to work well as a basic "will it work" test.
Re: sanguinololu board running low voltage motors
September 11, 2013 10:56AM
Thanks a million Cefiar.

This is exactly the answer I was looking for.

Best Regrds
Ryan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login