Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using 36 Pin parallel port instead of 25 for burning bootloader

Posted by AnandMG 
Using 36 Pin parallel port instead of 25 for burning bootloader
September 17, 2013 03:57AM
Hi,

For some great reasons, the fuses in my sanguino are not set properly. I tried burning the bootloader using USBasp and Avrdude is throwing up errors for which I couldn't find any solutions anywhere. I planned use parallel port to burn the bootloader but unfortunately parallel ports are dinosaurs.
[reprap.org]

I ordered a 25 pin parallel to USB cable but the seller shipped 36 pin. My question is can I use this 36 pin (use corresponding pinouts [en.wikipedia.org])?

Thanks
Re: Using 36 Pin parallel port instead of 25 for burning bootloader
September 17, 2013 04:53AM
I think that the 36 pin connector would not be a problem, just use the corresponding pins. Electrically it should be the same.

However, I don't think a USB-parallel adapter will work, because software like avrdude uses parallel port registers which are not provided by the USB adapter. You would need a real parallel port on a PCI card for it to work.

I can't confirm or deny the theory since I haven't tried it, but first I would see if avrdude can recognise the adapter. I would think the best thing is to get a refund on the adapter.
Re: Using 36 Pin parallel port instead of 25 for burning bootloader
September 19, 2013 05:01AM
bobc is correct. usb to parallel can only do 8 bit data, you cant control the individual pins like you need to to use as a programmer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login