Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Further power supply woes

Posted by larsrc 
Further power supply woes
July 28, 2009 12:55PM
I still don't have a working power supplysad smiley I bought two old IBM Server 330 mega-towers for about $5. I didn't fire up the one of them before taking it apart, so I don't actually know if the power supply from it works. The other one, however, works (I took about 8 gigs of old bank data off the RAID drivessmiling smiley, audibly so, but even with the power on input wire shorted and a 1 Ohm resistor on 5V I get no output. It's not like the ATX power supply that I burned out where I got a little flash of light. This one just keeps on humming and nothing lights up. Not the stepper motor driver LEDs, not the car light bulb, nothing. Guess I'll need to look around for another, preferably more modern. Or even *gasp* buy a new one!

The power supply is one I haven't seen mentioned before, probably because it's old found in big server boxen. I have a description of it here, in case anybody's curious.

Other than that, my X and Y stages are ready for power and for getting the motors correctly wired (the wiring I figured out myself contradicts a mail I got from another Step-Syn user).

-Lars

[repstrapdk.blogspot.com]
Re: Further power supply woes
July 28, 2009 02:32PM
Did you put a load resistor across the sense line so that it would know to send power?
Re: Further power supply woes
July 29, 2009 06:26AM
Some power supplies will not switch on without the load resistor.
On mine I used a ~15ohm power resistor on the 5v line.

There is also a 'status' line that should give out 5v when the psu is 'happy'. PSUs vary quite a bit though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login