Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where are the Azteeg X3 v1.2 gerber files?

Posted by deluz 
Where are the Azteeg X3 v1.2 gerber files?
March 17, 2014 05:03AM
Hey,

I'm trying for the past 2 days to find Azteeg X3 gerber files for the latest version without any luck. Isn't it open source project?

Where can I find latest version (v1.2) gerber files, BOM, etc.. it seems only panucatt is selling the boards.

I only found the schematics for an old version (v1.0.0).

Any thoughts? is this project still open?

Thanks,
Del
Re: Where are the Azteeg X3 v1.2 gerber files?
March 17, 2014 10:19AM
Yes the guys took open source resources from the community, made a closed source product, and sell it to the otherwise open source community.

Sadly there is much more than one case of that. Goes under the radar because not all ppls are able or willing to see through. But personally i think it must be because they are americans. Perhaps some among them may be ok, but otherwise as nation they tend to do exactly that. Do whatever they want - and invent excuses to make bad things appear as good or legit. Like in the case of makerbot becoming closed source. Or if you want to go other areas, double check the "liberation" of petroleum countries, etc. Smoke and mirrors. New kind of bullies. Very few do speak of it plainly. Few ppls can see through, most of them avoid subject, and some do not even see it, all these guys favor it because ignorance is encouraging this behaviour. exactly because of letting it pass. So i am glad you asked this question, and by all means, you keep asking questions like that. After some number of questions, you will see some children of some country writing messages on bombs which will later explode and eventually kill children of another country. At that point it feels worse than dorothy in a very mean rabbit hole. Well, this is just an opinion - mine. And by all means i just hope you are really NOT happy with this answer.
March 18, 2014 12:25AM
NoobMan
But personally i think it must be because they are americans. Perhaps some among them may be ok, but otherwise as nation they tend to do exactly that... Do whatever they want - and invent excuses to make bad things appear as good or legit. Like in the case of makerbot becoming closed source. Or if you want to go other areas, double check the "liberation" of petroleum countries, etc. Smoke and mirrors. New kind of bullies. Very few do speak of it plainly. Few ppls can see through, most of them avoid subject, and some do not even see it, all these guys favor it because ignorance is encouraging this behaviour. exactly because of letting it pass. So i am glad you asked this question, and by all means, you keep asking questions like that. After some number of questions, you will see some children of some country writing messages on bombs which will later explode and eventually kill children of another country. At that point it feels worse than dorothy in a very mean rabbit hole. Well, this is just an opinion - mine. And by all means i just hope you are really NOT happy with this answer.
Oh stop it. Every country or region has bad apples. Painting the entire country as evil because of the actions of a few companies is just stupid. If you want to rant about a company that has violated an open source licensed design or violated the spirit of such a design, then that's acceptable. If you want to encourace a boycott of such a thing or work to have the community ignore such a company, I'd stand in line with you with that fight. But leave the political rants out. It has no place in this community.
March 18, 2014 05:44AM
Totally agree with cdru. It has nothing to do with Americans etc..

I'm just wondering how come the whole community is fooled by thinking it's an open source design, the official RepRap wiki states the same even with a licenses of "CC ShareAlike 3.0".

Shall I update it? or am I missing something? is it known issue with Azteeg becoming a closed source hardware?

Thanks,
March 18, 2014 06:30AM
Azteeg "never become closed source" because simply it was never open. Sources were never available not even from start.

Its not a known issue, because these kinds of stuff(s) are based on ppls ignoring issues like that or not wanting to talk about it. Like many other cases - hard to refrain comments on that line, but i shall.

If you look at page history, i did updated the page in september 2013 saying that sources are not available, and this information was later edited out. So you know its not like a mishap that files are not there, its more like an intended coverup.
March 18, 2014 07:30AM
deluz
I'm just wondering how come the whole community is fooled by thinking it's an open source design, the official RepRap wiki states the same even with a licenses of "CC ShareAlike 3.0".

Shall I update it?

After asking the Azteeg people for the design files, yes, please. If they deliver the files, please upload it. If not, well, putting lies into the wiki intentionally makes it almost a candidate for a wiki removal.

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of an uproar, too. Many RepRap developments are judged almost solely by the licencing status, why not in this case?

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 18, 2014 09:17AM
Something like that was discussed already on this forum some time ago, which lead to the wiki mention. One guy having the board wanted more information and after digging a little around the issue it became apparent that producer was providing schematics image but only "upon request" by email, and only to those who already purchased the board. After a little presure regarding source files, he posted saying something like he "didnt had time" to upload - something like that. Well, now the schematic is up, so apparently that was the biggest concession he could made, and probably was considered "enough". I just do not see it as "enough" to be honest, and i do not like the situation, the behaviour or the mentality behind it.

I guess most ppls dont want to see stuff like that, or if they do then would avoid talking openly about it on the reasons of being "civil". As far as i can tell without being an english native, the word probably means something about being civilized, e.g. a behaviour that helps community. But ironically, in such cases, the behaviour that does help the community is to actually really talk about it. So being "civil" is to not close my eyes on it. Perhaps the tone suggests otherwise, but really i am not particularly agry or upset or anything like that, not at all. I just can not let this go without me speaking my mind, because that would mean lack of character on my part. Again, its just an opinion and mine alone. And again ofc, by all means, everybody should have their opinions, and they should voice theirs, etc.
March 18, 2014 10:42AM
I searched and found the link for the previous discussion about sources, for further reference it was in this thread. Two posts down somebody else quoted the wiki addition which i thought to be accurate - word by word. And ofc that would of get removed - might hurt sales. I sincerely understand "do not have time", but for a validity up to one year, then its got to be something else. Again and ofc - my opinion.
March 18, 2014 11:00AM
Well, it's kinda a funny statement about time.
It should be managed as any other open-source project, all sources exposed and other contribute.. even if the "gerber is messy"..

Gotta say, RAMBo is managed as I didn't see around. Everything in Github, with the BOM attached for latest version (v1.2e).

I've sent a private message to the mentor of Azteeg, no response yet, will keep you posted.
March 21, 2014 12:14PM
The same is true about their variations of the Mk2 Heatbed, Stepstick, Vikipanel - all are based on RepRap opensource designs but the source is not shared (not just schematic but original design files)

Pretty sad state of affairs.

DuetWifi.: advanced 3d printing electronics
March 21, 2014 05:36PM
I blame our current society design flaw:

[having money] >> [having a vertebral spine].

But i would be very interested what could be actually done in reality cases like this one - i think it goes like that because there is no enforcement tool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2014 05:38PM by NoobMan.
March 21, 2014 07:17PM
NoobMan
I blame our current society design flaw:

[having money] >> [having a vertebral spine].

But i would be very interested what could be actually done in reality cases like this one - i think it goes like that because there is no enforcement tool.
It's a controversial option, but we could only allow Open Source products/projects to appear on the wiki. No sources = no page.
March 21, 2014 07:45PM
Wiki is editable by everyone, it has to be open to allow all contributions. We could make mentions on pages like that, but will just get overwritten. Could mention things on forum, but i think only a handful of ppls read this particular one. I do not see anything else to do besides to comment or inform ppls as situation arises.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login