Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LCD-TFT Screen Ultimaker 2?

Posted by TRoager 
LCD-TFT Screen Ultimaker 2?
March 21, 2014 03:36PM
Hello Folks.

Do you guys think its possible to find a cheap tft graphic display to create a user interface looking like the UM2 / Zortrax M200 / Replicator 5th gen ?
i Really like the concept of the designs, more user friendly and not so boring to look at smiling smiley

Hope you guys have some inputs smiling smiley

- TRoager
Re: LCD-TFT Screen Ultimaker 2?
March 24, 2014 01:19AM
The printers you've mentioned use OLED displays, not LCD displays.
March 24, 2014 01:30AM
Do you still think its possible with oled display?
March 24, 2014 02:29AM
It's just a display to drive. Electrically it's easy.

That said, the main issue is that the firmware is already fairly big, an driving an OLED display from an 8-bit Arduino with its limited memory/flash is going to be an issue. Things like fonts, graphics, etc take a lot of room, more so the bigger the display. I don't expect to see an OLED display working well on a printer with an 8-bit Arduino core (eg: RAMPS, etc), unless it's on a separate Arduino that just takes care of the display and tells the other board what to do.

Once you get into 2 micros talking to each other though, you run into all sorts of troubles (eg: what firmware each is running, do they use the same protocol, how do you debug an electrical fault from a code fault, etc). It's why everyone moved away from the Gen3 electronics and the extruder having it's own processor.

You MIGHT be able to do it on something like an Arduino Due, so things like RAMPS-FD & RADDS could be worth looking at. [*]

The Beagle Bone Black based stuff might be more likely to drive it.

There are drivers for RasPi that will drive OLED displays, but you still need something to do the printer movement side of things.

* - Note that this is me looking EXTREMELY long term. Don't expect to buy anything with this setup for a while. I personally won't be spending any time developing it (I don't do code anyway).
March 24, 2014 02:54AM
Hmm now im just thinking what about "octoprint" ? maybe we could incorporate an OLED, because its also talking to ramps i guess, and its using the Raspberry PI.
What do you think Cefiar ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login