Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RUMBA random disconnects

Posted by Rigor_M 
RUMBA random disconnects
April 13, 2014 10:36PM
Hi,

I'm installing a rumba board on a custom 3d printer that i'm building. The problem that i'm facing is : Random disconnect from the PC to the board.. I've tested with my windows laptop and my imac. both have the same problem.

at anytime, it will disconnect.. I will issue a G28 to home the axes and it could time out there.. if it dosent, the, in a middle of a G29 (bed auto level).

I tried to flash the latest atmega16u2 firmware with a AVRISP II and avrdude (flash successfully) but it did not remove the problem.

all tests are done with pronterface (MAC or PC)

anyone faced this problem before or could help me into the right direction ?

I havent done a print yet but I would imagine that it would never finish the print :-(

Thank,

J-F
Re: RUMBA random disconnects
April 14, 2014 04:31PM
One possible cause is because you have a ground loop putting excessive current through your USB cable. This can be caused when your printer ground is at a different voltage to your PC's USB ground. You can check this by unplugging the USB cable and measuring the voltage between the shield of the USB cable and the shield of RUMBA's USB connector. It should be near zero.
It could be this is a false trail, but worth checking anyway.

On my printer I get a similar problem, but generally between 30mins to an hour. I've since switched to printing from an SD card, but initiating the print via USB. If the comms fail then the print keeps running.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2014 04:31PM by samp20.
Re: RUMBA random disconnects
April 14, 2014 07:04PM
In fact, I did some more testing,

I did try what you said (never rule out a idea ;-) ). But since i'm using a laptop, there is no loopback ground possible. (at lease I havent found one)

But I did find something worth mentioning, When changing the 5V selector to USB POWER, the problem goes away. I can do a much G28 and G29 as I want.. it wont reset. But, as soon as I but it back in its original position, I can't do one sequence without it reseting,

So, for now, I thing its a faulty step down regulator problem.

I'll continu my tests and see.

Thanks for the lead :-)

J-F
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login