Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

stm8s-discovery

Posted by dissidence 
stm8s-discovery
February 08, 2010 09:23PM
i had a friend send me this link today i was wondering what other people thought of this unit, i am going to be getting one, i thought for the price it would be a good thing to play with at that price [benryves.com] this is the article i read about it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2010 09:26PM by dissidence.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Re: stm8s-discovery
February 08, 2010 11:39PM
looks like a cheaper version of ATmega328P with inferior documentation and toolchain support. Feel free to try it out, but windows-only software bodes quite poorly for acceptance with other reprappers.

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
February 09, 2010 08:34AM
i figured for less than half the cost of a ATmega128 it would not be a bad thing to fiddle with at the very least i all most spent that much on solderless bread boards alone

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
February 09, 2010 05:52PM
Arduino becomes much cheaper when you use blank chips at cost with your own boards or breadboard.

The version 18 IDE comes with the code for setting up an Arduino as an AVRISP ICSP programmer to burn bootloaders to blank chips in the examples section. I have been using this code for a couple of years with very few problems with a Diecimilla and a stripboard sheild for tteh LED's and ICSP lead. (NB if using with linux you will need to either disbale the auto reset or use avrdude to drive the programmer rig directly, the auto reset reboots the board every time the ide connects and you will drop into the bootloader instead of talking to the AVRISP code)

At the end of the day what processor you choose to use is up to you if only you will be using it.

aka47

Necessity hopefully becomes the absentee parent of successfully invented children.
February 09, 2010 07:18PM
stty can turn the auto-reset on and off with the hup switch- see the examples in the makefile for my firmware rewrite. You need a relatively recent kernel as the FTDI driver had a bug where it would only assert the line, never de-assert it so auto reset would only work the first time after plugging in.

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login