Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Parts List

Posted by R I Eagland 
Parts List
July 17, 2007 04:02AM
Hi

Has any one a parts list for the powercomms v1.2.1 and universal controller v1.2.1 with Farnell or RS parts numbers?

Save reinventing the wheel.........

Regards

Ian
Anonymous User
Re: Parts List
July 17, 2007 05:49AM
This is a list of all the electronic components i ordered from either Farnell, Radionics (RS Ireland), or from the RRRF site.

Parts_List.xls
July 17, 2007 09:31AM
hello,

we have this website setup to generate part lists: [bom.reprap.org]

on step 2 of the BOM generation, you can choose your supplier (RS and Farnell are both options) however, we dont have full parts listings for those suppliers, so the lists generated are incomplete

if someone would like to add part supplier numbers for RS or Farnell, i can give you access to the google docs that serve at the database. otherwise if nobody wants to do it, please post it here and i'll add it in myself.
July 17, 2007 10:17AM
Hi Zach

Did not see RS or Farnell listed as suppliers for the PowerComms Board.

As I sort out the parts I can provide numbers.

The one part that I am having trouble with is P1 the mating PCB plug for the disk drive cable.

Ian
July 17, 2007 10:24AM
Hi

Ignore last, Found part 5 minutes after posting..........

Ian
Anonymous User
July 17, 2007 12:22PM
Hey, I have all the parts you need, just tell me where to send it and you reimburse me the postage. I have everything except the MAX232, but the web site might sample it to you for free.
July 17, 2007 01:25PM
Hi

Thanks for the offer. I have the parts on order from Farnell here in the UK. The only problem part is the Tx Rx Header pins and housing. They are obtainable in the UK from both RS and Farnell but they are shipped from the States on special order with
July 17, 2007 03:02PM
thats strange... the .100 headers should be very standard parts. i'll try looking around on their site tonight and see if i can find the parts. i'd really love to get the part suppliers fleshed out for countries other than the USA, as alot of reprappers live outside it.
July 17, 2007 03:44PM
You can get them from Maplin in the UK.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 18, 2007 05:09AM
Hi Zach

I will see if Farnell can identify from mouser numbers.

I am trying to keep to all Farnell parts to keep odering simple.

Ian
July 18, 2007 09:53AM
Hi

Well, Farnell came back with a list of their part numbers and half the items are special ship from US so no help there. I have in fact found equivilants for most items other than the 2 pin and 12 pin molex headers and housings. Plain header pins are easy to get so maybe using those and doing without the housing will be the way to go. Can some one confirm the housings actually have a function, ie they retain the lead.

The .1" terminals I tried are just to big for the PCB holes so not an ideal solution.

Ian
July 18, 2007 09:57AM
That's odd. I thought that 0.1 inch holes were pretty much standard anywhere.
July 18, 2007 11:31AM
the 'official' headers we recommend are keyed (polarized), friction lock headers. they serve 2 purposes:

1. the key ensures you only insert the connector in the proper direction
2. the friction lock keep the connector connected.

you can definitely use standard breakaway headers instead of these, but then you have to pay close attention to plugging connectors on =)
July 18, 2007 03:45PM
Hi Zach

Would you be kind enough to check on their web site the technical data sheet of Farnell part number 973-1148 and let me know if this part is the same as the pins & headers you use in the States.

Regards

Ian
July 18, 2007 05:05PM
yup, thats the right one... they each come with a different number of pins, so make sure they match up.

also, the manufacturer number seems to be the same, for example:

mouser part #: 538-22-23-2021
links to: [www.mouser.com]

where we find the "Manufacturer Part #" of "22-23-2021" (note the similarities...)

if we take that new part number to Farnell, we get this page: [uk.farnell.com]

which is the correct part number. although now i see your US stocked parts problem.

long post short: it appears your part is correct, although it specifies the pins as 'ways'. i'm not sure what that means. i would suggest ordering a wide variety of them to test (they're cheap) then once you're sure they work, then please let me know the part numbers and i can put them up on the BOM.

thanks!
July 18, 2007 05:22PM
The number of ways is the number of possible pin positions. Usually the same as the number of pins but sometimes one is missed out for keying on some connectors systems.

E.g. suppose you have three four pin connectors next to each other and you don't want people to mix them up. Then you use five way connectors with four pins, each missing a different pin out. You then put blanking pieces in the mating housings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2007 05:31PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 18, 2007 08:58PM
interesting, and good to know.
July 19, 2007 02:31PM
Slightly off topic. I recently ordered the Opto-end stop boards from RRRF (they came yesterday). I also used the BOM to order the parts from Mouser (they came today). My problem is that everything looks good except, no pins for the connectors. What is the correct part number for the pins (that go in the mating connector bodies). Should they not have been listed as part of the BOM?

Thank you,
Michael Elledge
Christmas, FL.
Re: Parts List (crimp connectors 538-08-50-0114 )
July 19, 2007 04:35PM
> What is the correct part number for the pins (that go in the mating connector
> bodies). Should they not have been listed as part of the BOM?

I believe Mouser part number 538-08-50-0114 is what you are missing; these are in the BOMs of the PowerComms and StepperController, so they probably should be in the end stop board BOM as well. BTW, these are slightly cheaper in qty >= 100, and you'll end up needing 120 of them (according to the current BOM -- so more if we add the endstops). It might be worth ordering some spares, too, as you are likely to destroy a few of these pins while creating wires, and to create wires that are too short and need to be redone... maybe order 150 of them for the entire project, to be safe??

Jonathan
July 19, 2007 04:37PM
sorry about that, its definitely something that should be sourced. i'm updating the google docs (and bom generator) now.

i'd also like to change the opto endstop board instructions so you solder the wires directly to the board, and put the connector on those wires. theres really no need to have a header on the opto endstop board itself.

the mouser part # is 538-08-50-0114
July 19, 2007 04:41PM
actually the quantity in the BOM is 2x what you actually need. they are rather cheap, and easy to break when you're first learning. now all places that need them have them, so we should be good to go.
July 19, 2007 05:07PM
> actually the quantity in the BOM is 2x what you actually need

Hmmm. Is that by design (so we expect everyone to break one for each one they correctly crimp)? That seems an excessively high fudge factor to me!? I can definitely understand a 10% or maybe even 20% breakage, but surely not 50%!

Are there other parts in the BOM for which such quantity multiplying is happening (either accidentally or deliberately)? I'd started looking at the total parts cost based on the BOM last night ... but if it has such multipliers in it, that kind of cost estimation is likely to be fairly worthless :-)

In general I think the BOM output should be the minimal set of parts, assuming a perfect human constructor who makes no mistakes. Then each of us can add in our own "fudge factor" for things like this, based on our assessment of how mistake-prone we are!

Jonathan
July 19, 2007 05:18PM
> In general I think the BOM output should be the
> minimal set of parts, assuming a perfect human
> constructor who makes no mistakes. Then each of
> us can add in our own "fudge factor" for things
> like this, based on our assessment of how
> mistake-prone we are!

In that case gimme four or five. smiling bouncing smiley
July 20, 2007 09:45AM
the BOM generator has been designed from the ground up with the assumption that the user purchasing parts from it will have a beginner's understanding of the parts they're actually ordering, and are depending on the BOM to provide them with a list that is foolproof, with no modifications needed.

the vast majority of the parts are sourced at exactly the quantities required. they are also rather hard to break. however, some of them like the crimps *are* easy to break, especially by someone who is doing it for the first time. it might not take you two crimps for each one, but when you do your first 10, you might use 30. also, they are a useful item (and cheap) so its not like the unused ones will be worthless.

it would be nice to add a fudgefactor option, but its so much easier to just put that into the data itself. its a order of magnitude easier. i'd rather get the BOM up, functional, and useful and then move onto more interesting projects like actually getting a RepRap up and running.

the BOM generator code is open source, and stored in our subversion repository. anyone is welcome to dig through it and make improvements. it also pulls from google, so its basically a standalone PHP app. actually, i'd love to have someone go through there and look for bugs, etc.
July 20, 2007 01:42PM
> the BOM generator has been designed from the ground up with the assumption that
> the user purchasing parts from it will have a beginner's understanding of the
> parts they're actually ordering, and are depending on the BOM to provide them
> with a list that is foolproof, with no modifications needed.

OK. The reality doesn't seem to match the design goal, in that case :-) Examples follow.

(1) Solder: One RepRap is not going to need a pound (should be 454grams!) of solder, even if you had to redo every single solder joint! If you decide to order parts for 3 of them, you end up with 1362 grams of solder.

(2) Wire: One 100' (this should be specified in SI units, maybe 30 metre) spool of 22 AWG wire -- surely it will be far easier for most Reprappers to use wires of multiple colours, as shown in many of the photos on the Wiki? Also this item doesn't say that the wire needs to be stranded copper rather than solid. [This is not a BOM Generator bug, the output is only as good as its input from the spreadsheets, I realize].

(3) Serial Cable or USB Serial converter: This links to a USB serial converter, not to an appropriate serial cable. I realize line items containing "or" will be difficult to deal with well!

(4) Computer: The system currently specifies an expensive PC with Windows and with far more CPU, RAM and disk space than the RepRap host software needs. Some beginner users could easily take that to mean such a powerful PC (and the Windows OS) will be *required*.

(5) The Tools section specifies a fairly high end power drill *and* a drill press (are both really needed?) ... but no drill bits. Knowing which bits to buy (and maybe fudging for any you are likely to break!) seems useful information.

(6) The Tools section likewise includes a good hacksaw, but no spare blades for it. The chances of breaking at least one blade during RepRap construction are, judging from anecdotes on the forums or in email at least, fairly high. If we're (silently) fudging crimp connectors, we should probably be consistent and fudge hacksaw blades too.

(7) The Tools section appears to lack a PIC Programmer.

(8) We may want to "fudge" PICs as well, since the sockets on our PCBs are not really intended for repeated insertions and extractions, which are quite likely in practice during testing... at least one spare PIC is probably worth having on hand. It's cheaper than 90 extra crimp terminals, too!

(9 and 10) Some items have no suppliers and a very minimal description, such as "half bearing" and "screw drive", and these do not link back to the Wiki for more detail either. [In general, linking back from part descriptions to the Wiki page describing their use during construction would be very helpful when deciphering brief descriptions like this.]

(11) "3mm ID silicon tubing" -- how much of it is needed is not specified?

(12) We're apparently specifying that it takes 8 28oz buckets of CAPA to make a RepRap? That is 14 pounds, or about 6.4 kilos. Seems excessive.

(13) 2 units of a "210mm wire" are specified, in addition to the 30m spool of 22AWG wire. What are these wires, and why can't the wire from the spool be used? I honestly don't know the answer to this!

The idea of the BOM Generator is great. The UI is clean and easy to use. It mostly "works" well. Most of the output it generates is fine. However, IMO, there are still quite a few items that make the final output as a whole decidedly less than "foolproof" for users with a "beginners understanding" of the project. Those users include me, on much of the mechanical stuff :-)

If someone, today, checked all the boxes, and created a parts list and then went out and tried to buy everything on the list, buying as much as possible online from major suppliers (perhaps Mouser/McMaster/Amazon) --

(a) could they actually buy each item using only the descriptions on the printed parts list?

(b) would they in fact be spending significantly more than they really need to (computer, drill press, too much CAPA, etc.)?

(c) would they then have everything needed to create a RepRap, but not much excess stuff left over at the end of construction?

I think we're fairly close, but I really don't think we're there yet, in terms of the BOM Generator providing "a list that is foolproof"!

Jonathan
July 20, 2007 02:34PM
jmarsden Wrote:

> (b) would they in fact be spending significantly
> more than they really need to (computer, drill
> press, too much CAPA, etc.)?

Of all the things that you want to supply through the foundation CAPA, either in pellet or filament form really, really needs to be done through the foundation. Solvay USA who supplies bulk CAPA is not set up to deal with orders from individuals.
Anonymous User
July 20, 2007 03:12PM
A few things I noticed:

The instructions say to use heat shrink to attach wires to the stepper motor, but I didn't see it specified anywhere (a roll of electrical tape could be listed as a more versatile alternative). I noticed that the docs on making cables has a section heading for 'sliding on heat shrink' but no content, and it doesn't seem to be necessary.

Heat sink grease also seems to be missing from the BOM. I'm not sure if a nut & machine screw for attaching the heat sink are specified somewhere in the parts list or not.

Other than that the electronics parts are looking good.
July 20, 2007 03:31PM
> I'm not sure if a nut & machine screw for
> attaching the heat sink are specified somewhere in
> the parts list or not.

Don't forget a lock washer.
July 20, 2007 05:36PM
good suggestions. i probably wont be able to program on the BOM this weekend, but next week is looking good. i'll address the individual points with possible solutions below.

> (1) Solder: One RepRap is not going to need a
> pound (should be 454grams!) of solder, even if you
> had to redo every single solder joint! If you
> decide to order parts for 3 of them, you end up
> with 1362 grams of solder.

yes, solder has definitely not been spec'ed out, neither has it been converted into a units thing in the BOM. it seems a main goal should be to implement a units system in the BOM. i will generalize this to cover solder, wires, CAPA, etc.

>
> (2) Wire: One 100' (this should be specified in SI
> units, maybe 30 metre) spool of 22 AWG wire --
> surely it will be far easier for most Reprappers
> to use wires of multiple colours, as shown in many
> of the photos on the Wiki? Also this item doesn't
> say that the wire needs to be stranded copper
> rather than solid. .

see units above. i'll standardize on SI.

> (3) Serial Cable or USB Serial converter: This
> links to a USB serial converter, not to an
> appropriate serial cable. I realize line items
> containing "or" will be difficult to deal with
> well!

yes, alternative items arent supported yet. i went with usb to serial as its probably the best option for people right now. (most computers w/o a USB port probably wont be able to run the control software)

>
> (4) Computer: The system currently specifies an
> expensive PC with Windows and with far more CPU,
> RAM and disk space than the RepRap host software
> needs. Some beginner users could easily take that
> to mean such a powerful PC (and the Windows OS)
> will be *required*.

yup, i just went on amazon and found a computer just to get some data in there. we actually have specs on the website for what computer to use. if you cant figure out what computer to get, reprap may be a bit too much for you winking smiley

> (5) The Tools section specifies a fairly high end
> power drill *and* a drill press (are both really
> needed?) ... but no drill bits. Knowing which
> bits to buy (and maybe fudging for any you are
> likely to break!) seems useful information.

yes, i think i also spec'ed the 'Hardware Store' the amazon ones are just to give you an idea.

> (6) The Tools section likewise includes a good
> hacksaw, but no spare blades for it. The chances
> of breaking at least one blade during RepRap
> construction are, judging from anecdotes on the
> forums or in email at least, fairly high. If
> we're (silently) fudging crimp connectors, we
> should probably be consistent and fudge hacksaw
> blades too.

good call, i'll add those in.

> (7) The Tools section appears to lack a PIC
> Programmer.

another good catch, i'll add that in.

> (8) We may want to "fudge" PICs as well, since the
> sockets on our PCBs are not really intended for
> repeated insertions and extractions, which are
> quite likely in practice during testing... at
> least one spare PIC is probably worth having on
> hand. It's cheaper than 90 extra crimp terminals,
> too!

so true. you are right on the fudge factor thing. how about this for a solution: we switch to *NOT* using fudge factors on parts in the BOM, and instead create a 'extra parts' sheet that lists parts you should get extras of and includes crimps, PIC's, etc. then when you generate the page, it has an option to generate the BOM for extra parts as well.

> (9 and 10) Some items have no suppliers and a very
> minimal description, such as "half bearing" and
> "screw drive", and these do not link back to the
> Wiki for more detail either.

now that we have a unique parts table, we could add a wiki/detail url to each part. good idea. also, some just dont have suppliers yet (soon though!)

>
> (11) "3mm ID silicon tubing" -- how much of it is
> needed is not specified?

yeah, we'll need to spec that out. units.

> (12) We're apparently specifying that it takes 8
> 28oz buckets of CAPA to make a RepRap? That is 14
> pounds, or about 6.4 kilos. Seems excessive.

true, also units.

> (13) 2 units of a "210mm wire" are specified, in
> addition to the 30m spool of 22AWG wire. What are
> these wires, and why can't the wire from the spool
> be used? I honestly don't know the answer to
> this!

its just a units thing. when i get the units stuff done, we'll probably remove the spool reference.

> The idea of the BOM Generator is great. The UI is
> clean and easy to use. It mostly "works" well.
> Most of the output it generates is fine. However,
> IMO, there are still quite a few items that make
> the final output as a whole decidedly less than
> "foolproof" for users with a "beginners
> understanding" of the project. Those users
> include me, on much of the mechanical stuff :-)

yup, but we're getting closer. a few more iterations and i think it should be good to go. your bug reports are very thorough, which is awesome.

> If someone, today, checked all the boxes, and
> created a parts list and then went out and tried
> to buy everything on the list, buying as much as
> possible online from major suppliers (perhaps
> Mouser/McMaster/Amazon) --
>
> (a) could they actually buy each item using only
> the descriptions on the printed parts list?
>
> (b) would they in fact be spending significantly
> more than they really need to (computer, drill
> press, too much CAPA, etc.)?
>
> (c) would they then have everything needed to
> create a RepRap, but not much excess stuff left
> over at the end of construction?
>
> I think we're fairly close, but I really don't
> think we're there yet, in terms of the BOM
> Generator providing "a list that is foolproof"!

i agree... lets do this again in a couple weeks and see how far we've gotten =)
July 21, 2007 01:34AM
> you are right on the fudge factor thing. how about this for a solution:
> we switch to *NOT* using fudge factors on parts in the BOM, and instead
> create a 'extra parts' sheet that lists parts you should get extras of
> and includes crimps, PIC's, etc. then when you generate the page, it
> has an option to generate the BOM for extra parts as well.

Works for me. In fact, then the number of such "Extra parts" subassemblies that you order really *is* your personal "hamfistedness factor" ... zero if you are Mr. Perfect, one for somewhat normal Reprappers, ... and Forrest can set it to four or five if he really wants to :-)

BTW, earlier this evening I added most of the electronics parts numbers I could find at Futurlec. Anyone knowing the Futurlec part numbers for the things I omitted, please either speak up, or add them in yourself :-)

I did find one "unexpected user interface anomaly" when doing so -- apparently if you leave a cell blank in the unique parts sheet, the system does not look to its right for further supplier:part entries. Took me a few minutes puzzling to figure out why the system had "seen" some of my entries but not all, as I added them all in a single column. Once I realized what was going on, I shifted many of them left, so they are now seen by the generator!

> Lets do this again in a couple weeks and see how far we've gotten =)

Absolutely!

Jonathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login