Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Incorrect information on Thermistor wiki

Posted by genelmx 
Incorrect information on Thermistor wiki
June 16, 2014 04:01AM
Is the EPCOS thermistor listed here in the wiki correct? I've just received my RS orders and it seems like they are way too small. I had a look at the datasheet before I ordered which says its 0.8mm diameter which at first seemed alright since I thought the community was moving towards smaller thermistors (eg, E3D moving from EPCOS to Semitec 104-GT2). Now that i've received them, I don't see how they would work unless I wrap it with plenty of foil.

If this is indeed an error, I'd recommend a change in the wiki.
Re: Incorrect information on Thermistor wiki
June 16, 2014 06:25AM
1. There is no "the community" doing such decisions. smiling smiley

2. If the hole prepared for the thermistor is to big, it's your heater block at fault, not the thermistor. The smaller a thermistor, the faster it can respond.

3. Thermistors should be glued in for good thermal conductivity. E.g. with JB Weld. The industry way is to glue it into a small bolt, then screwing this in.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 16, 2014 09:07AM
Thanks Traumflug. When I refer to "the community's decision" I am referring to common knowledge and practice that the majority of RepRapers have more or less agreed is correct in the practical sense. Which is why they appear in the default thermistor tables in popular firmwares.

I am not asking how to mount a thermistor or how to deal with a thermistor that is too small. I am merely asking if the RepRap Wiki, a recommended source of information, is correct in mentioning the EPCOS 100K B57540G0104F000 in the wiki. One can only assume it is a commonly used thermistor since it gets a mention. But in actual fact, I can't find this size of thermistor being sold anywhere as a 'RepRap thermistor' or evidence of it being used anywhere. So why mention it at all. There are plenty of 100K EPCOS thermistors that range in sizes, why not mention all of them?

The RepRap wiki, should contain information that is relevant, which is the purpose of my initial thread - to correct any misinformation in the wiki that might lead to someone making the wrong decision when sourcing parts for their machine. The B57560 is most commonly used and sold because it works. The B5740 is too small, and fragile that I don't see why anyone would recommend it at all.
June 17, 2014 08:13AM
genelmx
When I refer to "the community's decision" I am referring to common knowledge and practice that the majority of RepRapers have more or less agreed

I expected that. And that's exactly what isn't happening. Software developers as well as hardware developers care a shit about what's witten in the wiki. They simply put something into their hardware they find convenient, sell this on eBay and leave people alone. Those actually doing documentation try very very hard to avoid the RepRap wiki. That's why you find almost only links to other destinations or copy&pasted text there.

Regarding users, "it works for me" is apparently the highest level of satisfaction they can think of. No interest in finding out why, no interest in writing more than "click here - click there - it worked for me"-type instructions.

Some exeptions exist, but they're rare.

That much ranting regarding the wiki and its community. I'm maintainer there. smiling smiley

genelmx
The RepRap wiki, should contain information that is relevant

Then, please, put it there. smiling smiley Everybody with an account has write access. Ideally in a fashion which allows people to learn something.

Cheers smiling smiley

June 17, 2014 08:31AM
P.S.:

I'm not sure wether I managed to encourage you to do something about the situation, this should actually be my goal.

Another interesting ovservation in the RepRap community is, people don't even try to agree on someting. Once something is found to work well, many others come agound and think hard on how to achieve the same goal in different ways. Just for the sake of doing things differently. Look at all the 500+ printer frames, 99% of them do the very same another one before did already.

It looks like this way of thinking is actually the major driving force of this community. Not to refine in the details, not to achieve perfection, but to be different from the ground up. I'm not thinking as bad about it as it might look like here.

The B5740 is too small, and fragile that I don't see why anyone would recommend it at all.

That's your opinion. Others have no trouble with the small ones. Pointing out the differences (faster response time(?) vs. easier handling) would be a welcome contribution.

June 17, 2014 12:16PM
I agree to much of what you've lamented about the fragmentation of ideas in the community. But I think we're straying far from my initial question. I do intend to edit the wiki but I thought i'd run it by the community first.

Traumflug
That's your opinion. Others have no trouble with the small ones. Pointing out the differences (faster response time(?) vs. easier handling) would be a welcome contribution.
Maintaining good thermal conductivity with the heater block is also important to get good response, which is why you would want a thermistor that fits the thermistor hole.

3. Thermistors should be glued in for good thermal conductivity.
You've given us an example of an "it works for me" solution. Not everyone wants to permanently mount their thermistors. There are many alternatives.
June 18, 2014 05:47AM
genelmx
which is why you would want a thermistor that fits the thermistor hole.

Is it a problem to make a hole that fits? I don't see one, even if there's another hole already.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login