Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

base3d electronics: Stepsticks + Smoothie compatible firmware

Posted by hyna 
base3d electronics: Stepsticks + Smoothie compatible firmware
July 29, 2014 05:29AM
Over the past two months i worked on a new electronics that combines Stepstick/Pololu drivers with awesome Smoothie firmware.

Some basic parameters:
  • 4x slot for Stepstick/Pololu drivers (1/32 microstepping hardwired)
  • 4x endstops (X, Y, Z, Z probe)
  • 2x thermistor
  • 2x power MOSFET for hotend and heatbed
  • 3.3V only (no power from USB )
  • uSD card
  • "Sanguinololu" layout
  • Pins for UART and I2C
  • 1x FET for PWM fan.

It´s still in development, so leave a comment if you want to change or improve something.
Please visit my blog for more details and pictures: base48.blogspot.cz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 05:30AM by hyna.
Attachments:
open | download - DSCN0543.JPG (275.7 KB)
Re: base3d electronics: Stepsticks + Smoothie compatible firmware
July 29, 2014 06:39PM
The only thing differentiating this board from an Azteeg X5 Mini are the socketed stepper drivers. Am I missing something else?

Where do the heated bed and hotend heater connect? I only see two sets of screw terminals?

If it is not too late in the design process, can I suggest adding a second power input rail dedicated to the heated bed, like RAMPS and a few other boards use? Having only one power rail is my only gripe with the design of the Axteeg X5 Mini, and I am personally running an external supply and SSR to power my large Onyx heated bed. It would also be neat if you had pin-compatible interface connectors that would take RRD GLCD ribbon cables with no adapters, but that is probably asking too much.....
July 30, 2014 08:58PM
You are right, socketed steppers are main difference between this board and Azteeg x5. I wanted to upgrade to Smoothie firmware and reuse my stepsticks, but there is no board which accept them.

Heatbed connector and transistor is not yet soldered on the board, thats why you can´t see them.

Original idea was to make a Sanguinololu clone (same dimensions and pinout). but as I already discovered, that was not a best idea. In next revision I will rearrange some of the connectors and make the board little bit wider. I can try to fit there GLCD connectors.
August 06, 2014 03:46PM
Ok, Im almost done with next revision. Now with connectors for glcd. See attached picture smileys with beer
There will be no support for glcd SD, because of noise.

Board dimensions are now 6x10cm

Hyna
Attachments:
open | download - base3d_glcd.png (90.1 KB)
September 04, 2014 02:41PM
Hi,
I did some changes and now is possible to connect capacitive Z-probe directly to the board! thumbs up

I just ordered parts for ten boards, so if someone is interested, just send me a PM.

H.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login