Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smart LCD controller

Posted by charlieRC 
Smart LCD controller
August 12, 2014 06:52PM
I am trying to use the smart LCD controller. My printer uses marlin firmware and a Rambo board. I modified the fastio.h, configuration.h and the pins.h as per the instructions I found on line (http://reprap.org/wiki/RamboLCD) and uploaded using the arduino 1.0.5 IDE.. All I am getting in the LCD screen is two horizontal lines made up of blocks. Contrast does not help. Anybody Sucessfully use this LCD with the Rambo?

My neighbor had pretty much the same result trying to use the same LCD on a Mindel max also with a Rambo so I am sure we are doing something wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can upload the modified files is anyone has an interest in looking at them.

Charlie
Re: Smart LCD controller
August 14, 2014 06:54AM
Never used the Smart LCD controller from reprapdiscount on the Rambo but on the Rumba I discovered the silkscreen for the cable layout was completely messed up.

The cable that is supposed to go to EXP1 goes to EXP2 and visa versa. And just to be sure to completely mess with your head, both cables need to be installed upside down.

This just might get you where you want to be.
August 14, 2014 11:02AM
Thanks for the reply, but I am not sure how the Rumba would relate to the Rambo board. There does not seem to be any silk screening involved and the vendor (Ultimachine) added a photo to the product description to clerifiy some ambiguity in the cabling.

I am convince that the problem is in the firmware changes. I have attached the three files I changed per the docs at [reprap.org]. My changes can be found easily by searching for "charlie"

This product has been out there for sale for a long time by a company that I think is reputable, so I am sure the problem lies with me. I just don't know where to look anymore.

Charlie
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (16.1 KB)
open | download - fastio.h (54.3 KB)
open | download - pins.h (43 KB)
September 13, 2014 07:41PM
Hi,

I had the same problem with the smart controller on rambo and solved it.

I bought a cheap red "2004 LCD Module Control" on ebay, but it has "reprap discount smart controller" written on the back. I have some doubts on its origins...
However I activated the #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER in marlin and powered the printer.
Connect it with a Geeetech rambo to smartcontroller adapter.
The screen was not powered and it was beeping annoyingly.
I noticed the connector on this specific version of smart lcd are upside down from original white version.
I flipped the cable but I did not switched exp1 and exp2.
Then the screen was powered with two rows of white box.

Same problem described here [coherent-reprap.blogspot.ca]
I followed up with the pins_arduino.h modification for IDE 1.0.5 and this one worked.
Some explanations here: [forum.seemecnc.com]
He created a file pins_arduino.h in /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/variants/mega/pins_arduino.h (mac).
Found the equivalent folder on my PC: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\variants\mega

I attached the pins_arduino.h that I found working.
Now the LCD and SD card work fine.

Don't forget to install rambo driver and arduino add-on to activate lcd pins. [reprapelectro.com]
Attachments:
open | download - pins_arduino.h (12.2 KB)
September 22, 2014 01:38PM
Sorry for all the issues you're finding.

Actually, I am loving mine. It was difficult to get setup, but thanks to Johnny from Ultimachine, I got the files I needed and get things setup. There are things about it that I am not crazy about...not being able to use VNC to monitor progress from another location, the steps required to get through the screens, etc, but I really love not having to be tethered to a computer...(and it looks cool when the neighborhood kids want to see what I'm doing in my garage )grinning smiley
November 23, 2015 01:04AM
Hello everyone,
Instead of opening a new thread, I'll just continue on the this thread which is the same issue.
I am having the same initial issues as the OP. Upon powerup the ReprapDiscount smart controller displays two alternating rows of lit and unlit lines.
I have two controllers actually, both exhibit the same issue.
The setup is a modified prusa I2 (rebuilt), with RAMBo v1.3 and ReprapDiscount Smart Controller; the RAMBo and smart controller was obtained from ultimachine.
I did install the rambo addon into the arduino sw, along with, pins_arduino.h, and also have REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER defined.
The pins in software match to the hardware as best as i can determine. the pins continuity is correct from the RAMBo board all the way to the LCD controller.
The SD card reader is functioning and recognized, the emergency stop works, and the encoder button triggers the buzzer when pressed.

I have played with all other configurations, and different define's to attempt to get the LCD enabled properly, but it just seems like to be stuck in that boot up state.
Any assistance is greatly welcomed to get this LCD working.

Thank you for your time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 01:34AM by saintj.
Attachments:
open | download - WP_20151122_15_57_36_Pro (Large).jpg (228.1 KB)
open | download - Configuration.h (34.9 KB)
November 24, 2015 10:34AM
Might not help but . . . I had this problem with a smart LCD controller on a RAMPS board. It turned out to be the motherboard setting in Marlin, it was set to 33 (which seemed to be correct), I changed it to: MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB and it all worked fine.

As I said don't know if this has any relevance.

Z

PS I appreciate you are using a RAMBO board, it was just that setting it to the #defined constant MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB rather than a number cured it or me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2015 10:36AM by zitman.

My blog: 3DR build and more . . . .
December 01, 2015 12:41AM
Sadly that would not solve the issue for me.

few more details i think i should have mentioned in my first post.
Using:
Arduino 1.6.6
Marlin-Release

think any of these SW versions would have any sort of impact?
February 11, 2016 04:41PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login