Adding On/Off Switch for Mains to RepRap
August 14, 2014 11:31AM
I have just built my first RepRap (Yay) and I was curious about adding a switch to be able to turn it off from the mains (US 110v). Is it is a simple as just adding a switch between the psu connection and the mains connector on the printer? I have an oem psu not an ATX.

To explain a little why i am asking such a simple question, I have seen several comments about relays and fuses and such so I am curious if it is as simple as I think?
Re: Adding On/Off Switch for Mains to RepRap
August 14, 2014 12:49PM
It should be simple. But if you're not absolutely sure, get some advice from an electrician.

Note: You can buy IEC sockets (computer/kettle cord connector - called IEC C14 connector) with switches and fuse holders in them for very little. You then wire this up to your PSU (make sure to get the Active/Neutral/Earth right), and just use a standard IEC cord to connect it to the wall.
August 14, 2014 02:46PM
@Cefiar Thank you for the response. I hadn't thought of an integrated unit. Thanks. That will work nicely.
August 14, 2014 03:18PM
Are you looking to power down the power supply to turn the printer "off"? Or are you looking to disconnect all power? Depending on what electronics you're using, many support turning on and off the power supply by grounding (or ungrounding) the green wire from the power supply. This requires the electronics to be at least minimally powered but allows the printer to be turned on and off via gcodes. But it does leave things at risk for damange via a short or unplugging something when it's powered accidentally where a hard disconnect would prevent any risks.
August 14, 2014 04:15PM
I am looking to turn the printer off. All power ie. No power into the power supply. I just looked at the IEC connectors with switch and fuse and they are 10Amp fuses. Will that be enough?

Thanks
August 15, 2014 04:12AM
@crdu - He's NOT using an ATX PSU, as per his first message.

@APuckNut - 10Amp is plenty. Note that this is for the mains side, not the DC side. You will probably find that 5Amp is more than suitable to run the PSU.

BTW: 5A at 110V = ~550W (minus some losses in the PSU) which is way more than your PSU should be drawing.
August 15, 2014 10:37AM
@Cefiar Thank you. You have been most helpful. As has everyone else who has responded. Yes I want this for the AC side. Thanks again.

[SOLVED]
August 15, 2014 12:47PM
Cefiar
@crdu - He's NOT using an ATX PSU, as per his first message.

Doh. I read that as he was using an OEM ATX PSU.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login