Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper wiring colors question

Posted by Replace 
Stepper wiring colors question
September 09, 2014 02:21PM
I am a bit puzzled on the stepper wiring.

My Nema's'that come with Rostock mini Delta have red, blue, green and black wires.
On the Ramps wiki, the order of those is prescribed as : Red-Blue-Green-Black from left to right, with the D10 on the left side.

However, I ordered a set of stepper extension cords , both ends fixed connectors, in which the order is: Red-Black-Blue-Green.

On the Nema specs page i read:
  • ...Red & Blue are Phase and return -A-
  • ...Green & Black are Phase and Return -B-

These specs do make sense with the mixed phases in the new extension wires: when I reverse the connector, the paired phase and return are kept together, even when not side by side.

As this rotatable connector feature is also the fact on Ramps (as I recall to have red somewhere), this means that on Ramps both Phase & returns are next to each other, instead of mixed as in my extension wires.

So I can not solder color on color from the Nema's to the extension cords ?

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Stepper wiring colors question
September 09, 2014 07:14PM
Pretty much none of the vendors stick to any specific colour code for the wiring in their motors, and some vendors will even change the colour code on their motors from batch to batch.

You will want to test your motors to see which coils are which, and wire them as appropriate. As long as you get both coils hooked up to the necessary outputs, their orientation doesn't matter too much, as you can change the direction in software.

I would test your motors (with a voltmeter) and see which wires are connected to a coil.

See [reprap.org] for more info.
September 10, 2014 12:13AM
Thanks,

I tested them to be compliant to the nema specs, so exchanged the blue and black on my extensions, to have the coils side-by-side on the Ramps.

Thomas

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
September 10, 2014 01:35PM
Can't you carefully take the wires out of the connector and place them in the right order, so your collors are matching
September 11, 2014 01:55AM
No,
It is a good idea but I tried that but I have to really damage the little metal clip to get it out and than I am stuck with the same situation as the reason to buy pre-cited connectors.

Thnks

September 11, 2014 02:00AM
Some of those pins are easily removed from the connectors, while others are not. It just depends on what connectors are on those extension cables you got.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login