Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PowerComms v1.3.0

Posted by ZachHoeken 
PowerComms v1.3.0
August 02, 2007 01:24PM
The RRRF is starting to get low on the v1.2 boards, so its probably about time to design the next iteration of the PowerComms v1.3 board. I can handle doing the PCB layout, but I really dont have the experience (or the confidence) to do the actual schematic. I'd love it if someone here could step up to add the things we need to the board design, then i can take it from there. Here are the features I think we should incorporate:

* diagnostic LED's on the Tx and Rx lines. green for transmit, red for receive.
* switch to RJ 45 (ethernet) ports for connectors. Lets use pins 7/8 as they are unused in regular ethernet.
* minor changes that i'll do (pin size, spacing, etc)

basically, i can handle the last two, but i'm not really sure how to wire in the LED's (gasp!) if someone wants to help out, please contact me via PM, email, or just post here.

also, if you have suggestions for what you want in v1.3, also post here. remember, we want to do small changes to solve problems, rather than major features or changes (those are for v1.4 or v2.0)

thanks!
Re: PowerComms v1.3.0
August 02, 2007 02:17PM
So if I understand this right the computer<->powercomms link will still be serial, but the inter-board links will all be switched over to RJ-45?

Kyle
Anonymous User
August 02, 2007 02:31PM
I think he is using a standard RJ45 connector because they have the transmit connected to receive in the Cat 5 cable, no guess work! It will still be the SNAP TTL communications I think.
August 02, 2007 02:46PM
yes, the idea is that we still use the exact same SNAP protocol, we're simply switching to a better connection method... RJ-45 simply happens to be the most common and cheapest method available. the boards will NOT support ethernet, they will just use the connectors and cables for our own purposes.
August 02, 2007 03:19PM
I think I said this the last time RJ-45 connector use was mooted, probably in the Developers Forum: I'm somewhat unconvinced about using RJ45's for RS232 serial connections, but if everyone else loves the idea, OK. When we move up to real Ethernet at some point (v2.x?), we'll then risk all sorts of bizarre confusion with people plugging serial ports from older boards into routers and switches... if just one reversed connector between v1.2 and v1.2.1 boards causes confusion, I can only imagine what switching to Ethernet but using the *same* connectors will lead to :-(

Would using RJ-11 connectors and using cheap telephone cords be worth considering?? Or would we then risk people plugging them into their phone lines?!

BTW, has any thought been given to how one "jumpers" wires in an RJ-45 (or RJ-11) jack for testing purposes? This is trivial with the current connectors (a handy croc clip lead, or two crimp connectors and an inch of wire). Let's beware of making testing harder by accident. I see two options:

(a) we ask people to buy pre-made Ethernet crossover cables for such testing. Then, when they get confused and use a crossover cable between two boards, we're right back to "wiring issues" again! Or,

(b) we add an RJ-45 crimp tool to the list of required tools, and get into people making their own test cables? In that case, they're then making home-made cables anyway, and again we're back to "wiring issues" if those home-made test cables are incorrect in some way.

Making and testing a one-wire cable for v1.2/1.2.1 boards is (to me) simpler than making and testing a custom RJ-45-based test cable. I happen have an RJ-45 crimper and a cable tester available to me for work, and so one of each live in a toolbox in my car... but not everyone will have those at hand.

My current take on all of this: Adding diag LEDs all over the place will make testing and troubleshooting easier. More test software (a Java-based 'poke-equivalent' for example, maybe also a Java-based simple 'minicom/hyperterminal equivalent' too) will also help. PIC boot-time firmware mods may well also be handy, using emf's ideas. I'm much less convinced that switching to RJ-45 will really help make board testing easier.

Stepping back somewhat: we're asking Reprappers to make pulleys and belts using boiling water, moulds and CAPA, to cut lengths of threaded studding to within +/- 0.5mm, and to solder a 3mm wire rope to a drilled-out bolt they have created flat areas on using a lathe or drill press... compared to that kind of thing, making the wires is relatively simple, isn't it? I suppose I'm asking whether switching to pre-made cables between boards is really improving the most pressing and most difficult part of the overall construction and testing process.

Jonathan
August 02, 2007 03:22PM
For TX and RX LEDs on the TTL lines connect the anode to +5V and connect the cathode to the line through a resistor. The MAX chip can drive a logic low at 3.2ma so if you have LEDs at both ends you need to limit the current to 1.6ma each. They will be dim but should be visible. For a red LED, assuming Vf around 2V then 3V across the resistor so 1.8K should do.

To monitor the RS323 levels on the PCOM board two pin bi-colour LEDs are best. Connect the green anode/red cathode to ground and connect the other pin to the line via 5K6. They will light green when idle and flash red.

Not sure I like the idea of cat 5 cables. I am using my own electronics so I don't really have a vote but IMHO they are bulky, expensive and only available in 0.5M, 1M, 3M, etc.

A quick check of prices in the UK I found patch cables at

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 02, 2007 04:22PM
jmarsden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTW, has any thought been given to how one
> "jumpers" wires in an RJ-45 (or RJ-11) jack for
> testing purposes? This is trivial with the
> current connectors (a handy croc clip lead, or two
> crimp connectors and an inch of wire). Let's
> beware of making testing harder by accident.

Now I don't know much about the tests, I'm not that far yet. But it seems to me that if all you have to do is short the RX and TX pins together, that should be pretty easy even in an RJ45/11 jack. The way they're set up (I'm sure you know this, but just for the record), the contacts are spring-loaded and extend a good ways into the socket. Shoving a large, blunt object in there such as a screwdriver should do a fine job of shorting together a couple of leads, especially adjacent ones such as 7 & 8. This is much less convenient than the current method, and you do run a real risk of bending the contacts, but IMO the convenience of pre-made, robust cables makes up for this.

> Stepping back somewhat: we're asking Reprappers to
> make pulleys and belts using boiling water, moulds
> and CAPA, to cut lengths of threaded studding to
> within +/- 0.5mm, and to solder a 3mm wire rope to
> a drilled-out bolt they have created flat areas on
> using a lathe or drill press... compared to that
> kind of thing, making the wires is relatively
> simple, isn't it? I suppose I'm asking whether
> switching to pre-made cables between boards is
> really improving the most pressing and most
> difficult part of the overall construction and
> testing process.

You're right, there are a lot of things about the RepRap project that are probably be more challenging to more people than soldering a handful of cables. BUT, that isn't an excuse to be complacent with the current state of affairs. I get the impression that making this easier will take a good deal less effort all around than tackling those challenges, and something is better than nothing. The right question to ask is "Will this change make a big enough improvement to the project as a whole to justify the time it takes to implement it," not "Is this the absolute biggest issue we face right now?"

EDIT: I forgot to mention it, but I like the idea of RJ-11. It has all the advantages, for this application, of RJ-45, and is better in several areas (size, header size, bending radius, price even). For example, here's a 2 ft (whoops, 61cm winking smiley ) cable I found in a quick google search. And Mouser sells the headers, I didn't really do a price comparison though. Also, people may be less likely to get confused and try to plug one of the UCBs directly into something they ought'nt.

REEDIT: Here's the link - I must be really slow today. [www.national-tech.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2007 04:32PM by Kyle Corbitt.
August 02, 2007 04:31PM
jmarsden Wrote:
> I think I said this the last time RJ-45 connector
> use was mooted, probably in the Developers Forum:
> I'm somewhat unconvinced about using RJ45's for
> RS232 serial connections, but if everyone else
> loves the idea, OK. When we move up to real
> Ethernet at some point (v2.x?), we'll then risk
> all sorts of bizarre confusion with people
> plugging serial ports from older boards into
> routers and switches... if just one reversed
> connector between v1.2 and v1.2.1 boards causes
> confusion, I can only imagine what switching to
> Ethernet but using the *same* connectors will lead
> to :-(

Its true that RJ-45 might cause a bit of confusion, therefore we just need to be upfront about it... ie. big, bold text that says 'THESE BOARDS DO NOT USE ETHERNET, JUST THE CONNECTORS. DO NOT PLUG THESE INTO YOUR COMPUTER / ROUTER.'

also, since we're using one of the pairs that is not used by ethernet, then there should be even less of a risk of accidental failure.

> Would using RJ-11 connectors and using cheap
> telephone cords be worth considering?? Or would
> we then risk people plugging them into their phone
> lines?!

its a worthy consideration, however phone cords are more expensive (both cables and connectors)

> BTW, has any thought been given to how one
> "jumpers" wires in an RJ-45 (or RJ-11) jack for
> testing purposes? This is trivial with the
> current connectors (a handy croc clip lead, or two
> crimp connectors and an inch of wire). Let's
> beware of making testing harder by accident. I
> see two options:

well, since we are using one pair of wires to go from Tx to Rx, for the PowerComms loopback test, you simply plug both ends of a cable into the board. easy, huh?

> (a) we ask people to buy pre-made Ethernet
> crossover cables for such testing. Then, when
> they get confused and use a crossover cable
> between two boards, we're right back to "wiring
> issues" again! Or,

well, obviously the idea here is that you want to use pre-made cables to eliminate problems. if someone wants to make their own cables, then that is their prerogative, and they will probably know enough to figure it out on their own if they decide to do it that way.

>
> Making and testing a one-wire cable for v1.2/1.2.1
> boards is (to me) simpler than making and testing
> a custom RJ-45-based test cable. I happen have an
> RJ-45 crimper and a cable tester available to me
> for work, and so one of each live in a toolbox in
> my car... but not everyone will have those at
> hand.

see above, you dont need to make a custom cable. also, if you *really* wanted to make a strange tester cable, you could simply cut the cable in half, and splice the right wires together... no crimping necessary. if i'm mistaken, please let me know.

>
> My current take on all of this: Adding diag LEDs
> all over the place will make testing and
> troubleshooting easier. More test software (a
> Java-based 'poke-equivalent' for example, maybe
> also a Java-based simple 'minicom/hyperterminal
> equivalent' too) will also help. PIC boot-time
> firmware mods may well also be handy, using emf's
> ideas. I'm much less convinced that switching to
> RJ-45 will really help make board testing easier.

its not all about making testing easier. currently, making cables is very time consuming and error prone. its also probably cheaper in the long run to switch to ethernet cabling.

> Stepping back somewhat: we're asking Reprappers to
> make pulleys and belts using boiling water, moulds
> and CAPA, to cut lengths of threaded studding to
> within +/- 0.5mm, and to solder a 3mm wire rope to
> a drilled-out bolt they have created flat areas on
> using a lathe or drill press... compared to that
> kind of thing, making the wires is relatively
> simple, isn't it? I suppose I'm asking whether
> switching to pre-made cables between boards is
> really improving the most pressing and most
> difficult part of the overall construction and
> testing process.

true, but we're trying to eliminate all those problem areas. i've sourced pulleys on McMaster that eliminate the need to make molds. the cut rods could definitely use some help, and once we get the darwin design finalized, i'm going to look into getting professionally cut lengths of studding / rods to supply as a kit. also, i have a machinist making the drive rods and such for people who dont/cant make them themselves.

its about eliminating common pitfalls, and making the overall process easier, faster, and better. using premade cables hits all 3 of those, so i think we should do it!

until we have an off the shelf version of RepRap ready to buy and use, there will always be tricky things that users will have to do. in the meantime, lets try and minimize them.

if someone can point me in the direction of a place that sells pre-made .100" keyed, friction lock cables, i'd love to check it out. however, i've searched and its just not out there. ethernet cables are ubiquitous and cheap, therefore they seem like a great fit.
August 02, 2007 04:44PM
nophead Wrote:
> For TX and RX LEDs on the TTL lines connect the
> anode to +5V and connect the cathode to the line
> through a resistor. The MAX chip can drive a logic
> low at 3.2ma so if you have LEDs at both ends you
> need to limit the current to 1.6ma each. They will
> be dim but should be visible. For a red LED,
> assuming Vf around 2V then 3V across the resistor
> so 1.8K should do.

could you please make a drawing? i might be able to implement it from your description, but if you drew it up and labeled the proper values and such, then i think i could handle it. also, i'll probably be testing this on a real, working board as i do the kicad design. that would probably be the best way.

> To monitor the RS323 levels on the PCOM board two
> pin bi-colour LEDs are best. Connect the green
> anode/red cathode to ground and connect the other
> pin to the line via 5K6. They will light green
> when idle and flash red.

that would be fantastic, but as i said above, a kicad schematic would be ideal.
August 02, 2007 04:50PM
OK I have not done much with Kicad yet but I will give it a go this weekend.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 02, 2007 05:03PM
YAY!

even though i dont know much about electronics design, i've used Kicad quite a bit, so I can help you out with any problems you are having with the program itself. also, i highly recommend reading through one of their tutorials quickly, it will get you up to speed very quickly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login