Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which side is 'up'?

Posted by Rich K. 
Which side is 'up'?
September 28, 2014 02:15PM
Okay, this may seem like a dumb question, but how do I tell which side of my Mk2B heated bed is up? Mine isn't labeled, that I can see, and both sides are silk- screened.
Re: Which side is 'up'?
September 28, 2014 06:17PM
I was told to look for the heater traces and have them at the top so they heated the bed directly on top of it.

Gordon
September 28, 2014 07:11PM
Thanks!
October 19, 2014 09:38PM
I was looking at my Mendel90 build manual, and looking closely at the pics it seems Nophead has this traces on the BOTTOM. Since I already have things soldered in such a way that the traces are UP, I just put my ribbon cable down "backwards" from what the photo shows so my pos. and neg. wires are still going to the right places.
October 19, 2014 11:55PM
The solder pads go on the bottom. The glass could not sit flat if the solder pads were on the top.
October 20, 2014 04:11AM
My Mk2b has solder pads on BOTH sides. They're just thin foil, though, so shouldn't interfere with the glass. The build manual even cautions against geting solder in the holes because it will prevent the glass from sitting flat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 04:13AM by Rich K..
October 20, 2014 09:21AM
Only the pads on the trace side should be connected to the traces. If both sides are connected then the board is plated and that generally means the wrong resistance.

My rationale for having the traces on the bottom is that the solid copper side seems to expand more causing the middle to bow upwards and press flat against the glass. Other people do mount it the other way up though.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 20, 2014 12:17PM
Rich K.
My Mk2b has solder pads on BOTH sides. They're just thin foil, though, so shouldn't interfere with the glass. The build manual even cautions against geting solder in the holes because it will prevent the glass from sitting flat.

Yes. Sorry, I should have explained further that I meant if we solder anything to the pad the glass could not sit flat.
October 20, 2014 05:51PM
Checked my resistance, and it came out to 1.0 Ohms. Low, but within tolerance for a Mk2B wired for 12 volts. This is the one I bought:

[www.ebay.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login