Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Variable resistor in line with heated bed

Posted by UkIan 
Variable resistor in line with heated bed
October 07, 2014 05:10AM
I'm building a heated bed, it will draw more current than ramps will allow, so I was wondering about the effect of putting either a pot or just a single resistor in series to raise the resistance so I can drive it off ramps. I'm looking at a seven switch, but it would be nice to use the bed now.

The question is;I'm using resistance to make heat, so will the pot or resistor get astoundingly hot? I could work a single series resistor into the heating loop, thereby using its heat, but I sort of prefer the pot idea so I can tune.

Thanks
Ian

Ps, also, how would I choose a suitable pot with a range of 0 to 2 ohms?
Re: Variable resistor in line with heated bed
October 07, 2014 05:14AM
Yes, the resistor will get very hot. As it's not got anywhere to radiate that heat like a heat bed (eg: an Alu or glass plate), it will most likely get hotter than the bed.
October 07, 2014 05:27AM
What do you expect the resistance of the bed to be? Can't you adjust the parameters of the bed design to increase its resistance?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 07, 2014 06:22AM
Just get an SSR and be done with it.....
October 07, 2014 09:33AM
It needs to be about 1.4ohm if used with RAMPS and half that if with the seven switch. I have a cunning plan though. As I need to halve it, I'm going to have two heating loops in series and just disable one as necessary. I think that will do the trick smiling smiley
October 08, 2014 06:51AM
UkIan
I'm going to have two heating loops in series and just disable one as necessary.

Putting two loops in series would double the resistance. For halfing it, you'd use them in parallel.

That said, when you make a bed yourself there's no reason to do such tricks. Simply calculate wires/tracks properly and you're done. See [reprap.org] and [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 08, 2014 08:01AM
Yes, I currently have half the resistance I need, so was going to add a second loop in series smiling smiley

I think the trick *is* calculating the values correctly in the first place. I made a mistake somewhere, so I'm actually between where I want to be for direct replacement and where I want to be for more ampage :/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login