Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help! with ReplicatorG

Posted by rusdp 
Help! with ReplicatorG
April 17, 2010 05:00PM
Hey Guys. I have gotten Mendel mechanical construction done. Now I am working on the electronics. After connecting my motherboard (Generation 3 electronics), and then loading ReplicatorG, I got the following output:

Loading machine: Cupcake CNC

loading simulator

Loading driver: replicatorg.drivers.gen3.Sanguino3GDriver
WARNING: RXTX Version mismatch
Jar version = RXTX-2.2pre1
native lib Version = RXTX-2.2pre2
Reset.

I believe the Jar version I have is old. I went to the Rxtx website [rxtx.qbang.org] and downloaded the file "rxtx-2.2pre2.zip" (source), but now I don't know what to do with that zip file.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

-rusdp
Re: Help! with ReplicatorG
April 18, 2010 11:52AM
Any Ideas? I really need to get this machine working soon.

Thanks.

- rusdp
April 18, 2010 08:12PM
You'll need to unzip it, getting the .jar file out, and overwrite the old .jar file which (in theory) exists somewhere on your hard disk.

Where that jar file exists depends mostly on your operating system, I think. Windows? Mac? Linux? Which flavor of it?

If you know how to ask your OS to search for the first .jar file, (the one you're using now that's out of date) that's probably the simplest way. There's probably also some install instructions with the .jar/.bin combo that the RXTX library is that specifies where to stick those files. Repeating the install process (whatever it is) with the new file instead may turn the trick.

If you're running linux, you can search for a file via the incantation "find \ | grep RXTX". If you're running windows, there's a find function that can be clicked on somewhere. Last I checked you needed to force it to search the whole disk instead of just it's favorite place to stick things. There's a find function on the MAC too, but I know even less about MACs than I do about windows.

That's all doing it manually, of course. There may be some automatic way of doing that, but again it'll probably be OS-dependant.

I'd love to give you more specific (and more accurate) info, but there are two problems:
1. I don't know. I don't run java, so haven't had this particular problem, and don't know where even MY OS stores those things, much less yours.
2. I don't care to know. I *really* don't like java, and would prefer to know (and, more specifically, to have to know) as little about it as possible.

You sounded like you could perhaps use some generic advice anyway. So I hope it was helpful, even though I'm deliberately no expert on the subject.

I am sorry that you're having this problem, I hope that if this isn't enough information to get you started up again, somebody who actually knows something comes along soon.

Best of luck.

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
April 18, 2010 11:18PM
jgilmore "There's a find function on the MAC too, but I know even less about MACs than I do about windows."

Mac is just a GUI on top of UNIX. So grep should work. To access the UNIX shell use applications->utilities->terminal. This will open a small window with a bourn[sp] shell. One does have to be a bit careful on the mac as the GUI is picky about what version of library is used. Best to create a dedicated UNIX user and create a ~/usr folder. If one is really brave this can be contain hard link to the system usr/bin folder.

Fink and macports can be used to run most Linux tool chains on the mac. The developers CD also contains a X11 GUI shell which is needed to run Skienforge and ReplicatorG .

-julie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2010 11:24PM by sheep.
April 20, 2010 12:22PM
I am using Windows XP, SP3. I unziped that file but I can't find a .jar file. What would the old file be called that I need to search for in my computer?

Thanks.

- rusdp
April 21, 2010 09:52PM
Windows "installer" programs are a pain in the butt. IMHO, of course.

It's probably compressed, perhaps in a "cab" file? You may need to run the installer program to get to it. Happily, you're running windows and can do so by clicking on it. Good luck. "cab" files may be a bit picky to deal with from within the GUI - it will may want to do something else with them. There's a command-line uncompress program that ships (and is installed) with windows, last I checked. I often end of swearing, giving up, and downloading something else instead when I encounter that sort of situation. Even if the program will run correctly on Linux under wine, often the installer will not. So the only way for me to get a working copy is to find a pirated version somewhere that's already installed. Usually it's easier to do without, or file find something linux native. I did exactly that with the "host software" and use skienforge instead.

The name of the file will probably be "RXTX-2.2pre1.jar" but your results may vary. I'd suggest searching simply for "RXTX" as that will certainly be in the filename, and sorting through the search results manually, depending on how may hits you get. I wouldn't think there'd be more that 20 or so files with that in the name on a typical windows box?

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login