Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

premade cables

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
premade cables
August 17, 2007 01:53PM
There was some discussion in the card upgrade threads about the benefits of premade cables.

How long do they need to be?

Here is one idea. CDROM audio cables come in 2pin versions and I think they fit the standard 0.1" header.

[www.outletpc.com]
I imagine they can be found elsewhere too.

Thoughts?
Re: premade cables
August 17, 2007 02:15PM
That looks far more sensible to me than 7ft RJ11 cables.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 17, 2007 04:47PM
yes!!!

i've been looking ALL OVER for cables like this. you rock! i just ordered a bunch of them. i'll let you guys know how they work.
August 17, 2007 04:56PM
update: they sell 4 pin cables too. i ordered a crap-ton of them, and i'll report back ASAP on how they work.

[www.outletpc.com]
Anonymous User
August 17, 2007 05:34PM
So I take it 24" is a reasonable length. smiling smiley

What do/will the 4 pin ones connect? As far as I know there are only 3 signals in the 4 pin cables left, ground, ground, right.
[www.epanorama.net]

If only 2 signals are needed then one of the ground receptacles could be filled with a bit of glue and the matching post removed. This would key the connector nicely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2007 05:40PM by d0ubled.
August 17, 2007 05:39PM
24" might be a bit short for some uses, but fine for others. i dont mind splicing wires together.... i consider that much easier than crimping. crimping requires very precise control, whereas splicing is just strip, twist, solder, heatshrink. if these work out, maybe we can find longer cables.

the vast majority of the connectors on the machine are either 2, 3, or 4 pins.

all the Tx/Rx cables are 2 pins. same with any heater outputs / sync cables / some others. hopefully these cables can stand that current... i guess i'll find out =)

the min/max sensors are 3 pins

the stepper connector are 4 pin.
Anonymous User
August 17, 2007 06:32PM
next idea:

No connectors for these signals. Use terminal blocks and stripped tinned wire.

Quick description for those who might not be familiar.
Terminal blocks are mounted to a PCB and have holes for wires, small screws are tightened to hold the wire(s) in place.

[www.mouser.com]
$0.42 each for 2 position
[www.mouser.com]
$0.50 each for 3 position
Modular so put multiples next to each other for more connections.

Terminal blocks could also be reprapable in a second generation design.
emt
August 20, 2007 06:25AM
Hi

If Zach has increased the hole size slightly terminals will probably fit any way. I files the corners off Phoenix terminals pins (the pins are square) and can get them in a V2 board if I used a fair amount of force

Regards

Ian
August 29, 2007 11:53AM
oh!

just wanted to give you guys a heads up. the cables i bought arrived... i ordered the 2 pin, and 4 pin cables.

2 pins: works perfectly. its a small gauge wire, so its not suitable to power or anything, but i bet it will carry signal pretty well.

4 pins: no go. the connector is the right size, but they only have 3 wires total running through it. doesnt cut the mustard

so if you are like me, and you hate making cables... then these premade cables are a good route to go =)
Anonymous User
August 29, 2007 05:15PM
Cool.

Also for those who hate making cables (that we cannot buy easily) perhaps someone could make up a bunch (people commented how easily and quickly the can be made with practice) and sell them through the rrrf.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login