Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper Motor Driver 1.1

Posted by Markus Hitter 
Stepper Motor Driver 1.1
June 04, 2010 10:48AM
A few years ago I tried on building a RepRap machine already, but stopped for some reason or another. Now I want to pick up again and found a box which looks like a complete set of unassembled generation 2 electronics.

I assume one can use this set to equip a Mendel as well. Is this correct?

This set includes a Stepper Motor Driver v1.1, which isn't mentioned in the list of Drivers at [reprap.org] . Is there something special about v1.1 to hide it's existence or should I better complete the Wiki?
Re: Stepper Motor Driver 1.1
June 04, 2010 02:40PM
Nothing wrong with the Gen2 electronics :-). Still driving my 'bot after a year or so.
If you want a more recent extruder design, you will probably need another stepper and stepper driver board. You'll also need a controller - the gen2 could *just* about squeeze onto a basic arduino, but the firmware has outgrown it a little while ago. I'd suggest getting an arduino mega, and wiring the gen2 'tronics to a shield. The mendel should be capable of being driven no problem.

Nothing wrong with the 1.1 - just that they used to get a bit hot (grab a bigger heatsink) and are through hole soldering - SMD is actually quite a lot easier and better suited for mass-production, like the makerbot.

---
Reprapping blog and other rants: [renoirsrants.blogspot.com]
My Reprap: [sites.google.com]
Re: Stepper Motor Driver 1.1
June 04, 2010 03:07PM
I have two sets of the old Gen2 electronics still in use...
As dave said they just need heatsinks and fans

I also have upgraded a basic arduino by adding a 328 AtMega chip as it doubles the program space..

Mendel is far easier scratch build/repstrap than Darwin was as well.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login