Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low cost 32-bit controller board

Posted by dc42 
Re: Low cost 32-bit controller board
April 11, 2015 03:49PM
Hi dc.
Fair point about the endstops.
I'd be up for a part soldered board too.
Keep us posted

-a
April 26, 2015 12:22PM
I am most of the way through laying out the board now. One question: does anyone ever need to use lower than 1/16 microstepping with A4982/A4988 driver boards? Or less than 1/32 with DRV8825?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 27, 2015 12:06PM
As nobody has replied, I'll assume that virtually all users use the maximum microstepping available. So I'm not going to include microstepping jumpers on the board - they add substantially to assembly cost, and are one more thing for users to get wrong (as they often do with RAMPS). However, I'll make it possible to drill off the surface of a via (which is easier than cutting a trace) if anyone needs to change the microstepping of individual drivers.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 27, 2015 12:12PM
dc42
As nobody has replied, I'll assume that virtually all users use the maximum microstepping available. So I'm not going to include microstepping jumpers on the board - they add substantially to assembly cost, and are one more thing for users to get wrong (as they often do with RAMPS). However, I'll make it possible to drill off the surface of a via (which is easier than cutting a trace) if anyone needs to change the microstepping of individual drivers.

That does sound like a good option to me

Doug
August 31, 2015 02:08PM
Hows it going with the board dc42?? smiling smiley
August 31, 2015 04:14PM
I'm interested in healing about it as Well.
I just wish you added screw terminals instead of anything needing s crimping tool. I actually own one, but I hate using it, and it takes forever + it's impossible to find just the right molex plugs.
Last 2 builds had langer price-tags on connectors than on the cabling, endstops and similar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2015 04:15PM by dintid.
August 31, 2015 06:11PM
TRoager

I've given up on my original design, for two reasons:

1. The kit manufacturers I spoke to didn't want plug-in drivers, because on-board drivers are more reliable and bring the cost down. So the market for the board would have been limited.

2. Since I started the design, Replikeo has started second-sourcing the Duet. They are now selling it for $49.99, which is less than the price I would have sold my board at, AND it has Ethernet. The MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible has also appeared and is selling at $56.53. The AZSMZ Mini (a 32-bit board with plug-in drivers and no Ethernet) has come down to $50. So there are already at least three low-cost 32-bit boards available.

I'm now working on a design with built-in WiFi.

September 01, 2015 04:16AM
dc42
TRoager

I've given up on my original design, for two reasons:

1. The kit manufacturers I spoke to didn't want plug-in drivers, because on-board drivers are more reliable and bring the cost down. So the market for the board would have been limited.

2. Since I started the design, Replikeo has started second-sourcing the Duet. They are now selling it for $49.99, which is less than the price I would have sold my board at, AND it has Ethernet. The MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible has also appeared and is selling at $56.53. The AZSMZ Mini (a 32-bit board with plug-in drivers and no Ethernet) has come down to $50. So there are already at least three low-cost 32-bit boards available.

I'm now working on a design with built-in WiFi.

The ESP8266??

I understand that the marker would be small but isnt it already small?

I can ser the other boards but im not quite sure those fit my needs, i was thinking og developing a board but my money says no :b
September 01, 2015 04:45AM
Yes I am looking at using one of the ESP8266 variants to provide the WiFi connection. The challenge is to get the wifi and I/O throughput high enough to give a good speed for uploading files to the SD card. This may require a major rewrite of the ESP8266 firmware.

September 01, 2015 07:24AM
dc42
Yes I am looking at using one of the ESP8266 variants to provide the WiFi connection. The challenge is to get the wifi and I/O throughput high enough to give a good speed for uploading files to the SD card. This may require a major rewrite of the ESP8266 firmware.

Well i found this and looks like its quite active in periods smiling smiley

[github.com]
September 01, 2015 09:23AM
TRoager
dc42

[github.com]

Like every other ESP8266 solution I have seen, that uses async serial comms between the ESP8266 and the host. That's OK for just monitoring and controlling the printer, but nothing like fast enough for file upload. The max achievable speed would be about 25kbytes/second, compared to 200kbytes/sec on a Duet using the Ethernet port (and work is in hand to increase that). So my first task will be to modify the ESP8266 firmware to use SPI with something like a 2Mbit transfer speed between the host and the ESP8266, unless someone has done that already.

September 01, 2015 10:53AM
dc42
TRoager
dc42

[github.com]

Like every other ESP8266 solution I have seen, that uses async serial comms between the ESP8266 and the host. That's OK for just monitoring and controlling the printer, but nothing like fast enough for file upload. The max achievable speed would be about 25kbytes/second, compared to 200kbytes/sec on a Duet using the Ethernet port (and work is in hand to increase that). So my first task will be to modify the ESP8266 firmware to use SPI with something like a 2Mbit transfer speed between the host and the ESP8266, unless someone has done that already.

Found this :b maybe you can use that?
[github.com]
September 01, 2015 01:02PM
TRoager
Found this :b maybe you can use that?
[github.com]

Thanks, that may save me some work!

September 01, 2015 01:14PM
smiling smiley Hope it helps .
September 24, 2015 11:00AM
AndrewBCN
vreihen
They are calling it the "Red Rabbit" board:

http://www.3dxmy.com/?p=822

No sense of how they stand on open-source, but a huge concern that the firmware was apparently developed in-house and obviously has a lot of custom code to run the color touchscreen. On the plus side, the top-of-the-line board with a larger touchscreen and dual hotends is under $73 at today's exchange rate.....

If you don't have the source code or even if you do manage somehow to get your hands on the source code, but all the comments are in Chinese and/or it's not clean, easy to read the code, then it makes for a $73 paperweight. thumbs down

works great, mine is a corexy. runs all standard gcode, and the config file is in mostly readable english. you program it by "printing" the config file. it can also run a 3$ esp8266 for communication (they have an android app). you'd be hard pressed to get any other board and screen for that price, especially with 5 motor outputs and thermocouple options (in addition to thermistors)

mine uses dual z motors (i split the output) with dual extruders
October 03, 2015 09:32AM
I also use Low-cost 32-bit controller board CBD Tech
very good product at a price of $ 82
and do not need developers to upgrade firmware always

Now also print clay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2015 09:35AM by maralb.

DELTA Printer - Duet -Touch5" - E3D_V6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login