Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

AZSMZ mini + LCD

Posted by AFK-er 
AZSMZ mini + LCD
March 20, 2015 08:56AM
I have bought AZSMZ mini board and managed it to work properly with my Delta 3d printer setup But i am curious about RepRapDiscount Smart Controller. Can someone tell me if it's possible to connect RepRapDiscount Smart Controller to AZSMZ mini? If yes could someone describe how to do it?
Link to board setup and schematic:
[reprap.org]
Link to LCD setup and schematic:
[reprap.org]
Re: AZSMZ mini + LCD
March 20, 2015 09:21PM
smart controller is designd for 5v operation. the AZSMZ is deigned for 3.3v... you would need a level shifter

since its smoothieware you could protentualy use the universal_adapter [github.com]
March 21, 2015 08:22AM
The AZSMZ folks also sell a 12864 GLCD for a whopping $20 that plugs right onto the AZSMZ board. (It apparently uses a slightly smaller GLCD panel than the RRD and clones, which may also be desirable for packaging in a smaller printer in place of an LCD-2004.) From a price versus research/aggravation perspective to figure out if the AZSMZ LCD interface is pin-compatible with the RRD GLCD, it is a no-brainer to just order the $20 GLCD with the AZSMZ and know that they were designed to work together.

I am obligated to throw in a disclaimer that I just bought a genuine RRD GLCD as part of the Smoothieboard group purchase special on the Google Deltabots forum, and I am *extremely* impressed with the quality of construction and choice of parts compared with the SainSmart clone GLCD that I bought last year. The quality justifies the price, IMO.....
March 28, 2015 07:14PM
It appears that the AZSMZ LCD board also directly accepts an ESP8266-WiFi module which can be purchased for about $3 or less on eBay. I bought one but haven't installed it yet because I need to flash the proper firmware on it first. If anyone has already done this, I'd be grateful for some guidance.

BTW - if anyone is interested in a case with fan cooling for the controller board, and also a case for the LCD, I just uploaded a design to thingiverse.
April 02, 2015 02:58PM
I purchased the AZSMZ LCD board and found out it is NOT the same pinouts as the reprap discount smart controller (small or large)
The connectors are both 10 pin but the pinout pattern is not the same.
I am going through the painful process of matching the pins from the AZSMZ lcd to the reprap's pins. So far I have the backlight working.
The documentation from the aliexpress reseller is very sketchy and I have to figure out the SPI pins that match...
Has anyone done this before?
April 02, 2015 10:28PM
The AZSMZ LCD board is desiged for AZSMZ Mini and SMART RAMPS. Its easy to use.but if you wont connect to smoothieboard.you need make connect line by yourself.

# For Smoothie board NOT azteeg X5

panel.enable true # set to true to enable the panel code
panel.lcd viki2 # set type of panel. AZSMZ 12864 LCD is similar viki2, also set to viki2.
panel.spi_channel 0 # set spi channel to use P0_18,P0_15 MOSI,SCLK
panel.spi_cs_pin 0.16 # set spi chip select
panel.encoder_a_pin 3.25!^ # encoder pin
panel.encoder_b_pin 3.26!^ # encoder pin
panel.click_button_pin 1.30!^ # click button
panel.a0_pin 2.11 # st7565 needs an a0
panel.contrast 19 # some panels need contrast set, this is for AZSMZ 12864 LCD
panel.encoder_resolution 4 # number of clicks to move 1 item
panel.buzz_pin 1.31 # pin for buzzer (use red led OR buzzer not both)
panel.menu_offset 0 # some panels will need 1 here
panel.reverse 1

# setup for external sd card on the LCD board
panel.external_sd true # set to true if there is an extrernal sdcard on the panel
panel.external_sd.spi_channel 0 # set spi channel the sdcard is on
panel.external_sd.spi_cs_pin 0.27 # set spi chip select for the sdcard
panel.external_sd.sdcd_pin 0.28!^ # sd detect signal (set to nc if no sdcard detect)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2015 09:48AM by cxandy.

New 32 bit ARM based Motion controller for 3D printers, CNC Machines and Laser cutters. Like Azteeg x5 mini or smoothieboard(no network).
AZSMZ Mini [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com]
AZSMZ 12864 LCD [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com] [azsmz.aliexpress.com]
SMART RAMPS [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com] [azsmz.aliexpress.com]
[www.facebook.com]
April 03, 2015 08:48AM
@cxandy - I think what the poster above is asking for is the pinout for *your* LCD interface. He claims that your interface pinout differs from the standard RepRapDiscount LCD-12864. Also, the Smoothieware config file pin info you posted above is for the VIKI2 interface, not the RRD-12864.....
April 03, 2015 09:36AM
My LCD's driver is similar VIKI2, the Smoothieware config file pin info I posted above is just for the my 12864 LCD. the pinout for my LCD interface is marked on the pictrue.

New 32 bit ARM based Motion controller for 3D printers, CNC Machines and Laser cutters. Like Azteeg x5 mini or smoothieboard(no network).
[www.facebook.com]
May 06, 2015 06:15AM
wbrokow1
I purchased the AZSMZ LCD board and found out it is NOT the same pinouts as the reprap discount smart controller (small or large)
The connectors are both 10 pin but the pinout pattern is not the same.
I am going through the painful process of matching the pins from the AZSMZ lcd to the reprap's pins. So far I have the backlight working.
The documentation from the aliexpress reseller is very sketchy and I have to figure out the SPI pins that match...
Has anyone done this before?

Hi wbrokow1, were you able to match all pins and get the combination above to work ok?

I have to find out the right pin layout for the opposite. I have the AZSMZ mini board and am trying to connect the RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller (12864) to the board and have the same issues with the pin layout.

The backlight, encoder button and buzzer work, but no information yet visible.
The following panel configuration I have set in config.txt, after trying to map pinout:

# Panel
panel.enable                                 true	       # set to true to enable the panel code
panel.lcd                                    reprap_discount_glcd # set type of panel
#panel.lcd 				     st7565_glcd
#panel.lcd 				     viki2

panel.spi_channel                            0                 # spi channel to use  ; GLCD EXP1 Pins 3,5 (MOSI, SCLK)
panel.spi_cs_pin                             1.22              # spi chip select     ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 4
panel.a0_pin 				     2.6   
panel.encoder_a_pin                          1.31!^            # encoder pin         ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 3
panel.encoder_b_pin                          MISO1!^           # encoder pin         ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 5

panel.click_button_pin                       3.26!^            # click button        ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 2  
panel.buzz_pin                               1.30              # pin for buzzer      ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 1

#panel.pause_button_pin                      1.23!^            # kill/pause          ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 8 either

panel.reverse 				     1  	       # tried both 0, 1 and true for setting		

panel.external_sd                            false             # set to true if there is an extrernal sdcard on the panel
panel.external_sd.spi_channel                0                 # set spi channel the sdcard is on
panel.external_sd.spi_cs_pin                 0.16              # set spi chip select for the sdcard
panel.external_sd.sdcd_pin                   3.25!^            # sd detect signal (set to nc if no sdcard detect)

#panel.button_pause_pin                      2.10!^            # kill/pause          ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 8 either
panel.button_pause_pin                       1.23!^            # kill/pause          ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 8 either
#panel.back_button_pin                       1.23!^            # back button         ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 8 or
panel.contrast 				     19

# pins used with other panels
#panel.up_button_pin                         0.1!              # up button if used
#panel.down_button_pin                       0.0!              # down button if used
#panel.click_button_pin                      1.22!             # click button if used

panel.menu_offset                            0                 # some panels will need 1 here
panel.encoder_resolution                     4   

panel.alpha_jog_feedrate                     6000              # x jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.beta_jog_feedrate                      6000              # y jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.gamma_jog_feedrate                     6000              # z jogging feedrate in mm/min

panel.hotend_temperature                     185               # temp to set hotend when preheat is selected
panel.bed_temperature                        60                # temp to set bed when preheat is selected

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 06:22AM by 3DFreezeMe.
May 19, 2015 10:22AM
[www.thingiverse.com]

[www.facebook.com]
May 22, 2015 07:30AM
I have the same AZSMZ and reprap discount glcd.
Is there a way to have the SD-card on the glcd working with AZSMZ?
May 27, 2015 01:10AM
KDan
If anyone has already done this, I'd be grateful for some guidance.

I'm buying the AZSMZ Mini as my board for my first ever reprap. If anyone has successfully hooked up the board, please please please take a snapshot of it for the other users to avoid fatal mistakes to the board.

I'm quite new to the whole installation, and I feel as if it will take much more time than it should just to wire a board without documentation from the aliexpress source.

Thanks if someone can help out the frantic users winking smiley (I too consider the wifi module as an interesting add-on to the board, If anyone knows anything on the board, feel free to post)
August 12, 2015 02:06PM
I have put some time into sorting out the pinouts of the connectors of the RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller LCD panel.
This lcd panel is called 'reprap_discount_glcd' for the 'panel.lcd' option in the config.txt file.

I had one laying around and did not want to buy the AZSMZ mini lcd controller yet. The pint outs of the reprap_discount_glcd are not compatible with the AZSMZ mini board connectors, so you need to make the correct connections yourself.

To help others with the same task ahead, I have created a table to make the correct wire connections and assign the correct pins to the SmoothieWare firmware config.txt file.
The external SD card reader I have not tried to connect yet, the connections for this are thus missing in the pdf.
I have also read there are some issues with that specific combination (SPI channel conflict) and will use the internal micro SD card reader on the board for now.

The lines I have in my config.txt for this lcd panel, which work correct for me:
# Panel See [smoothieware.org]
panel.enable                                 true              # set to true to enable the panel code

# Example for reprap discount GLCD
# on glcd EXP1 is to left and EXP2 is to right, pin 1 is bottom left, pin 2 is top left etc.
# +5v is EXP1 pin 10, Gnd is EXP1 pin 9

panel.lcd                                   reprap_discount_glcd 	       #
panel.spi_channel                           0                 # OK spi channel to use  ; GLCD EXP1 Pins 3,5 (MOSI, SCLK)
panel.spi_cs_pin                            SSEL1             # OK spi chip select     ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 4
panel.encoder_a_pin                         1.27!^            # OK encoder pin         ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 3
panel.encoder_b_pin                         1.25!^            # OK encoder pin         ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 5
panel.click_button_pin                      3.26!^            # OK click button        ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 2
panel.buzz_pin                              1.30              # OK pin for buzzer      ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 1
#panel.button_pause_pin                      1.23!^            # kill/pause          ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 8 either
#panel.back_button_pin                       1.23!^            # back button         ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 8 or
kill_button_enable                          true              # OK set to true to enable a kill button
kill_button_pin                             1.23^             # OK kill button pin. default is same as pause button 2.12 (Add ^ for external buttons)

panel.contrast                               18               # OK override contrast setting (default is 18)
panel.encoder_resolution                     2                # OK override number of clicks to move 1 item (default is 2)
panel.menu_offset                            1                # OK here controls how sensitive the menu is. some panels will need 1

panel.alpha_jog_feedrate                     6000             # x jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.beta_jog_feedrate                      6000             # y jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.gamma_jog_feedrate                     3000             # z jogging feedrate in mm/min

panel.hotend_temperature                     242              # temp to set hotend when preheat is selected
panel.bed_temperature                        100              # temp to set bed when preheat is selected

# setup for external sd card on the RRD GLCD which shares the onboard sdcard SPI port
panel.external_sd                            false            # set to true if there is an extrernal sdcard on the panel
panel.external_sd.spi_channel                1                # set spi channel the sdcard is on
panel.external_sd.spi_cs_pin                 0.28             # set spi chip select for the sdcard (or any spare pin)
panel.external_sd.sdcd_pin                   0.27!^           # sd detect signal (set to nc if no sdcard detect) (or any spare pin)

Attachments:
open | download - AZSMZ lcd connector sorting - Sheet1.pdf (118 KB)
August 30, 2015 10:48PM
anyone figure out a way to connect a azsmz mini lcd to an azteeg x5 mini?
November 25, 2015 08:04PM
Has anyone figured out how to get the wi-fi working yet? Thanks!
January 22, 2016 10:28AM
works fine :)

[www.facebook.com]
February 05, 2016 02:04PM
Hi guys,
I need help with the fan header, i cant get it to work.

my config have:

#Switch module for fan control

switch.fan.enable true #
switch.fan.input_on_command M106 #
switch.fan.input_off_command M107 #
switch.fan.output_pin 0.26 # pin on board ver 2.1
switch.fan.output_type pwm # pwm output settable with S parameter in the input_on_comand
switch.fan.max_pwm 255 # set max pwm for the pin default is 255

im gettin always 24v on pins 0.26(fan) and vcc
issuing m106 and m107 nothing happen sad smiley
cant figure it out

thanks
February 07, 2016 09:09PM
1++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
D10 For heat1
D9 For heat2
D8 For bed
Fan1 1 Fan - 2 Fan + this fan will always working.
Fan2 3 Fan - 2 Fan + this fan can be controlled to on off and speed.
2 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
D10 For heat1
D8 For bed
Fan1 D9 this fan can be controlled to on off and speed.
3 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
D10 For heat1
D9 For heat2
Fan1 D8 this fan can be controlled to on off and speed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 09:11PM by cxandy.

[www.facebook.com]
February 08, 2016 05:29AM
Hi,
Im trying again and again but it does not work.

Im using AZSM Mini 2015.7.22 ver 2.1

Pin 3 in your image is P0.26 (printed on the back of the board)

Pin 2 in your image is Vcc (printed on the back of the board)

Pin 1 in your image is Gnd (printed on the back of the board)

My config file:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

switch.fan.enable true #
switch.fan.input_on_command M106 #
switch.fan.input_off_command M107 #
switch.fan.output_pin 0.26 # pin on board ver 2.1
switch.fan.output_type pwm # pwm output settable with S parameter in the input_on_comand
switch.fan.max_pwm 255 # set max pwm for the pin default is 255
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

after boot:
pin 3 and pin 2 = 24 v
pin 3 and pin 1 = 0 v
pin 2 and pin 1 = 24 v

after issuing M106 FAN icon appear on the LCD
pin 3 and pin 2 = 24 v
pin 3 and pin 1 = 0 v
pin 2 and pin 1 = 24 v

after issuing M107 FAN icon disappear on the LCD
pin 3 and pin 2 = 24 v
pin 3 and pin 1 = 0 v
pin 2 and pin 1 = 24 v

I have 2 AZMSZ boards and they behave the same.
please help
thx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2016 05:46AM by paboman.
February 08, 2016 06:01AM
I just received new boards, it works!
February 16, 2016 09:24AM
I have the same issue. I wrote a PM to xcandy, maybe he can give some information about getting this to work thumbs up

Also, if I toggle pin 0.26 via M42 or M43 Gcode-commands, instead D09 is switched on or off grinning smiley

M42 P0.26 S255; <- D09 goes on
M42 P0.26 S0; <- D09 goes off

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 11:37AM by Skimmy.

Der 3D-Druck ist tot, lang lebe der 3D-Druck!

Schreibt mich nicht mehr an, ich hab das drucken an den Nagel gehängt.
February 16, 2016 12:19PM
So, one more info, to maybe help with this issue:

These 3 Pins, with a small mosFET right beside them. I think, this mosFET should be able to trigger the fan-pin... Maybe I have a wrong pin-declaration?

February 16, 2016 12:46PM
Skimmy

[attachment 72682 IMG_0902.jpg]

These 3 Pins, with a small mosFET right beside them. I think, this mosFET should be able to trigger the fan-pin... Maybe I have a wrong pin-declaration?

It should work because I encountered this issue in one board only. The strange thing is that you are controlling D09 instead. Double check your config

Ciao
February 16, 2016 12:49PM
paboman
Skimmy

[attachment 72682 IMG_0902.jpg]

It should work because I encountered this issue in one board only. The strange thing is that you are controlling D09 instead. Double check your config

Ciao

I tripple-checked grinning smiley even with the original config it is the same behaviour sad smiley

I need the actual schematic, all I can find is V2.0.1, but I need the schematic of V2.1 sad smiley Best result I could google:

But in this pic I cannot identify enough... sad smiley

February 16, 2016 01:13PM
So, status-update...

Google: still no better answers sad smiley

But found an swedish 3d-printing-onlineshop with a preview thumb of the needed schematic and asked via contact-form on the page...

Used default config from xcandy added this code:

#------------------------------------
switch.fan.enable              true #
switch.fan.input_on_command    M106 #
switch.fan.input_off_command   M107 #
switch.fan.output_pin          0.26 # pin on board ver 2.1
switch.fan.output_type         digital  # pwm output settable with S parameter in the input_on_comand
switch.fan.max_pwm             255  # set max pwm for the pin default is 255

to my config, and now I can switch the pin with M106 / M107 commnd, BUT only toggle between 0V or 3,8V! No PWM and no higher voltage sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 01:20PM by Skimmy.

February 16, 2016 01:41PM
you have to set switch.fan.output_type from digital to pwm
February 16, 2016 01:47PM
yeah, i tried both. digital and pwm. Results are the same, both switch to 3,8V.

Reason there is "digital" in my post above, because I changed it to testing purposes...

February 16, 2016 01:51PM
baaaahhh.....

I am so stupd eye rolling smiley

It works. The reason for 3.8V was: I had the powersupply off and board was sourced by USB hot smiley

So, shame on me grinning smiley

June 20, 2016 10:08AM
Skimmy, so how do you connected the fan?
thx
August 13, 2016 06:54AM
cxandy
1++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
D10 For heat1
D9 For heat2
D8 For bed
Fan1 1 Fan - 2 Fan + this fan will always working.
2 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
D10 For heat1
D8 For bed
Fan1 D9 this fan can be controlled to on off and speed.
3 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
D10 For heat1
D9 For heat2
Fan1 D8 this fan can be controlled to on off and speed.

[attachment 72069 fan.jpg]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login