Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MKS Gen V1.1

Posted by shmbry 
MKS Gen V1.1
April 07, 2015 02:37PM
Hello

Has anyone got any feedback on this controller? It's advertised as being RAMPS 1.4 compatible, just how compatible is that? I presume most RAMPS boards originate in China and therefore have chinese components. Are these MKS boards reliable?

Can they be used with anything other than Repetier-Host, MatterControl for example.

Many thanks
Re: MKS Gen V1.1
April 07, 2015 06:29PM
They are compatible as in pin compatible with regard to add on displays. So if a display works with RAMPS, it should work with MKS.

It's based on the same MEGA2560 microcontroller chip that is used with a RAMPS board so it should be able to run firmware RAMPS could: Repetier-Firmware, Marlin, Sprinter, etc. Any host software that can talk to the firmware should work: Repetier-Host, Pronterface, Octoprint, MatterControl, Simplify3D...

Most boards are going to be made/assembled in China so I'd just assume that a Chinese manufacturer would assemble their boards there too.

Can't comment on the quality or reliability of the board or components. It's priced about the same as what you'd pay for a RAMPS and MEGA board, and it's a cleaner solution since it's not in the format of a shield. It doesn't look like there's a schematic for it and that it's closed source, so there's a philosophical issue if such things concern you.
Re: MKS Gen V1.1
April 18, 2015 09:58AM
I have been using one of these on a generic RepRap I3 from China for about 6 months now and haven't had a single issue with it. I am currently running Marlin firmware on it and the prints are very nice, as good as anything I have seen in pictures. There may be better solutions out there but it's hard to beat the price.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login