Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet problems with E0

Posted by csambrook 
Duet problems with E0
April 07, 2015 04:48PM
Hi all,

Hopefully someone with experience of the Duet controller can help me. I have a Duet controlled Huxley which is relatively new but has produced a few good prints so is basically sound. Suddenly the extruder stopped working mid print and investigations point to the Duet (the motor and cable both work when connected to the X drive and the X drive cable and motor don't work when connected to the E0 extruder channel. Digging a bit deeper with an oscilloscope it looks like the stepper driver chip is not being commanded to drive the extruder by the arduino, the "enable" pin (pin 23) and "step" pin (pin 11) show no activity at all.
I've tried reloading both the arduino firmware and the SD card software from an archive of the original but it's made no difference. I *think* that should get all of the settings back to original.

So, any ideas?

Also, is there memory on the Duet which is not erased by erasing (using the erase microswitch) and reloading the firmware?
Re: Duet problems with E0
April 07, 2015 06:12PM
Your best bets for help with this issue are RepRapPro support (see the Huxley Duo instructions for contact details), and the Ormerod forum. The Ormerod has been shipping with Duet electronics for 15 months, so there is a wealth of experience with the Duet on that forum.

A few folks have had problems with extrusion after the recent version 1.04 firmware update, because RRP changed the default tool numbering from T1 to T0 in the config.g file that version. So gcode files that select T1 at the start will not print. That wouldn't explain extrusion stopping mid print. However, if neither the Enable nor the Step pins show any activity, then it does sound as if the tool that use that extruder isn't selected.

The mcu on the Duet does not have any memory that is not erased when you press the Erase button. But there is plenty of room on the SD card!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 09, 2015 04:24AM
Many thanks dc42, I can't explain why it stopped mid print although I have some suspicions about the quality of the cabling to the extruder. I can't say for certain but I think maybe the outer metal shield had managed to touch the back of one of the pins in the connector. That fault was probably cleared quite early in my investigation and doesn't appear to have caused any permanent damage.

The confusing thing though was that the firmware now seems to enforce a minimum temperature below which it won't extrude. Once you know about that it's not a problem, in fact it's a nice safety feature, but of course all of my investigation was done cold as I didn't even have filament loaded. I thought I'd reloaded the original firmware from my archive but obviously I messed that up somehow as doing so would certainly have fixed it. For sure it didn't behave that way originally as when I built the printer I did all the extruder calibration cold.

So thanks again for your help, demonstrating to myself that the extruder motor wasn't being commanded to drive closed off a big area of investigation and let me concentrate on what else might be going on (before that I was partly thinking that the arduino might have partly failed and was about to write some code to exercise those pins which would have cost me loss of time).
April 09, 2015 08:31AM
I'm glad you got it working.

csambrook
The confusing thing though was that the firmware now seems to enforce a minimum temperature below which it won't extrude. Once you know about that it's not a problem, in fact it's a nice safety feature, but of course all of my investigation was done cold as I didn't even have filament loaded. I thought I'd reloaded the original firmware from my archive but obviously I messed that up somehow as doing so would certainly have fixed it. For sure it didn't behave that way originally as when I built the printer I did all the extruder calibration cold.

RepRapPro introduced that change in version 1.04, and I followed suit. You can use the M302 P1 command to revert to allowing cold extrusion.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login