Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for 32bit board for delta.. suggestions?

Posted by AndersE 
Looking for 32bit board for delta.. suggestions?
April 08, 2015 11:14AM
I have been looking around on smoothieboard, azteeg and some other. But no-one offers all i want.
All lack something it seems. If it have drv8825 drivers, it only has ability to run 4, does it have 5-6 stepperdrivers it lacks the possibility to remove them, or they are soldered.,
Or if it has actually 5-6 swappable drivers, it has no more than 3 mosfets (1 fan, 1 bed, 1 hotend) and no network, like AZSMZ.

Always something missing. Or have i missed any "haleluja" board?

Right now i am leaning toward "milkshake (smoothie)" board even though it only has 1/16 drivers.
Re: Looking for 32bit board for delta.. suggestions?
April 08, 2015 01:09PM
Have you looked at a duet board from dc42 (?). Not sure of the specs on the board.

Also, why do you need more than 4 steppers? Unless you are trying to run something like a cyclops, I didn't think dual extrusion on a delta machine was generally a good idea.
April 08, 2015 02:40PM
I have the Azteeg X5 v1.0 with the DRV8825's and 1/32 microsteps, and recently purchased a Smoothieboard 5xc with A4982's at 1/16 microsteps. Given the number of general reports of problems with picking the correct decay mode on the DRV8825's (and seeing that Panucatt made some changes on the Azteeg X5 v1.1 board), I am not sure that 1/32 is worth the potential problems right now.

Regarding soldered versus removable drivers, I am a fan of software-controlled stepper motor current and you can only get that on soldered stepper drivers right now. Plus, I like the statement that Arthur Wolf made a few months ago about the Smoothieboard copper traces layout being done following the A4982's spec sheet to provide adequate cooling. Removable Pololu drivers cannot do this without an additional heat sink on the driver chip.

Although I have not yet printed anything with the Smoothieboard yet, I am using it to test the motion components of my new printer and am happy with my choice so far.....
April 08, 2015 02:51PM
Just to be clear, the Duet does not come from me. It comes from RepRapPro (Adrian Bowyer's company), and from Think3DPrint3D. I understand it was a joint design between them, with input from nophead. My involvement is that I maintain the fork of RepRapFirmware (the only firmware currently running in the Duet) that supports Delta and CoreXY printers as well as Cartesian.

My main complaint about the Duet is that RepRapPro have made no attempt to market it or to appoint international distributors. Technically, it's a good board. It costs less than the equivalent single-extruder Smoothie, but if you want to drive dual extruders then you need an add-on card as well. I am hoping that we will se a dual-extruder-capable Duet before long. It has a slightly slower 32-bit processor than the Smoothie, but 50% more RAM - which is very useful as the TCP/IP stack to support the Ethernet interface benefits from having plenty of buffer space.

The other advantage of the Duet at present is that my fork of RepRapFirmware is currently the only firmware to support single-iteration precise delta calibration. You can calibrate endstop adjustments, tower positions and diagonal rod length using just one set of about 10 Z probe points, which takes less than 30 seconds to do. But I don't expect this advantage to last long as it is likely to be ported to Smoothieware and Marlin before long.

Duet also supports a colour touch-screen control panel, the PanelDue (full disclosure: I designed the controller board for this, and I commission its manufacture) - but it doesn't yet support the cheap text or mono graphics LCDs that most other firmware supports.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2015 02:54PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 08, 2015 04:32PM
They should put you in charge of marketing. I see the name dc42 and I think duet printer board.
April 08, 2015 05:35PM
Kurzaa
They should put you in charge of marketing. I see the name dc42 and I think duet printer board.

As he said, they (RepRapPro) have made no effort to market the board outside of their own printers. They have also shown zero (and I dare say negative) interest in supporting Delta and CoreXY in their official firmware. I applaud his work in forking the firmware and making improvements, because the platform has a lot of untapped potential.....
April 09, 2015 06:18AM
Thanks for input. I think i'll get a smoothie or milkshake..

Anybody have input on the milkshake board?
April 09, 2015 06:49AM
AndersE
Anybody have input on the milkshake board?

Unless there is a significant price savings (30% or more), I would buy a real Smoothieboard for both support/warranty peace of mind and to support the developers who brought it to us. I had honestly never even heard of the Milkshake board before today. Given their claim that they built a quality replica of the Smoothieboard with the only change being a 1.0A voltage regulator in place of the 0.5A one (and Uberclock offers the 1.0A part as an upgrade), I don't see any compelling reason to buy their board versus the real one from Smoothie.....
April 09, 2015 10:16AM
I suggest you try the AZSMZ Mini + 12864 LCD, the price is relatively cheap.

New 32 bit ARM based Motion controller for 3D printers, CNC Machines and Laser cutters. Like Azteeg x5 mini or smoothieboard(no network).
AZSMZ Mini [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com]
AZSMZ 12864 LCD [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com] [azsmz.aliexpress.com]
SMART RAMPS [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com] [azsmz.aliexpress.com]
[www.facebook.com]
April 09, 2015 01:42PM
But the AZSMZ Mini only have 3 mosfet outputs. 2 hotends + bed + fans = 4 mosfets. I don't want to fiddle with converting to other outputs..

And i already got a reprap fglcd i would use.
April 09, 2015 03:50PM
Sounds like you need the new low-cost 32-bit controller that I am designing - see [forums.reprap.org]. Shame it's currently still at the PCB layout stage.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 09, 2015 10:40PM
[www.aliexpress.com]

my sample config just for dual extruder. D10 heat1; D9 heat2; D8 bedheat;
Fan can connected to heat together, can also be a separate power input.

New 32 bit ARM based Motion controller for 3D printers, CNC Machines and Laser cutters. Like Azteeg x5 mini or smoothieboard(no network).
AZSMZ Mini [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com]
AZSMZ 12864 LCD [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com] [azsmz.aliexpress.com]
SMART RAMPS [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com] [azsmz.aliexpress.com]
[www.facebook.com]
April 11, 2015 02:09PM
I mean one more pwm'ed output. If fan is on bed it is not separately controllable, and if on powersupply it is also full on.
There should be atleast one even two more mosfet outputs, and some userconfigurable in/out's.

cxandy
[www.aliexpress.com]

my sample config just for dual extruder. D10 heat1; D9 heat2; D8 bedheat;
Fan can connected to heat together, can also be a separate power input.
April 13, 2015 05:58AM
look at this
[www.3dartists.org]

Enrico

[www.dapa3dservice.it] [www.studiodapa.it]
repstrap dApA, Ramps 1.4, MarlinKimbra / scanner 3D Cubify Sense / Formlabs Form 2
April 13, 2015 06:46AM
enricodare
look at this
[www.3dartists.org]

Why isn't there a "buy it now" link on that page? (Sarcasm)

There is a running thread on the Google Deltabot group doing "peer review" of their published schematics, and the consensus is that the published design has flaws that would prevent it from working combined with a parts count that makes reaching the target price point questionable. A few people have even used the S-word (scam) to describe this funding campaign, prompted by a less-than-truthful feature comparison chart between their vaporware and a slew of current controllers that all have "buy it now" links on the web. Caveat emptor.....
April 14, 2015 06:47PM
Yeah i read about the alligator also, but it does not seem to be finished. I don't know about the firmware for it?
April 15, 2015 03:47AM
There is now a second manufacturer of the 32-bit Duet board, see [www.replikeo.com]. They are offering them at $79.99 + shipping from Hong Kong.

April 15, 2015 09:50AM
dc42
There is now a second manufacturer of the 32-bit Duet board, see [www.replikeo.com]. They are offering them at $79.99 + shipping from Hong Kong.
Are they an actual manufacturer? Just looking at the board and comparing it to the 5V regulator board there just seems to be a difference in...design and construction technique?
April 15, 2015 10:34AM
cdru
dc42
Are they an actual manufacturer? Just looking at the board and comparing it to the 5V regulator board there just seems to be a difference in...design and construction technique?

I checked with them and they said they make their own Duet boards.

btw the extra 5V linear regulator board is only needed if you want to build a printer that meets CE standards for EMI. Otherwise you can use the switching regulator on the Duet itself instead - from the photo on their site, I can see that the switching regulator parts are still present.

April 15, 2015 11:02AM
AndersE
I have been looking around on smoothieboard, azteeg and some other. But no-one offers all i want.
All lack something it seems. If it have drv8825 drivers, it only has ability to run 4, does it have 5-6 stepperdrivers it lacks the possibility to remove them, or they are soldered.,
Or if it has actually 5-6 swappable drivers, it has no more than 3 mosfets (1 fan, 1 bed, 1 hotend) and no network, like AZSMZ.

Always something missing. Or have i missed any "haleluja" board?

Right now i am leaning toward "milkshake (smoothie)" board even though it only has 1/16 drivers.

What do you actually want in a controller board?

I think having swappable drivers is over-rated. Most use tiny, easily broken pots to set current and don't have good heatsinking. How do they die? You break the pot, or you short the traces on the board with a screw driver when attempting to adjust the pot, or you burn them up. The drivers on the smoothieboard are well heatsinked by the groundplane on the board and current is set digitally in the config file.

OK, you say "what about the TMC type driver modules that run higher miscrostepping?" Heatsinking is still a problem because of the small board size, they still use tiny pots, and current is limited to 1.2A. If you want to use NEMA-23 motors, 1.2A isn't going to cut it. The 2A drivers on the smoothieboard can drive a lot of NEMA-23 motors (I was driving three of them until I added external DSP drivers for my X and Y axes), though they will tend to vibrate more than NEMA-17 motors. If the vibration is an issue, you use external drivers that are easily connected via a 4 pin header. Maybe in a couple years there will be better driver modules available, but are you building a machine now or in a couple years? In a couple years you're going to want a whole new controller board that makes the current stuff look like Arduino/RAMPS compared to smoothieboard now.

I'm not against saving a few $ here and there, but you're liable to need support for the controller board sooner or later. The smoothieboard devs are on IRC every night- I know because I got on there and talked with them a lot when I was setting up my machine. There's a ton of documentation on the smoothieboard- is there any on the Milkshake board? Is it in English or is it a sort-of-English translation from Chinese?

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for...
April 16, 2015 08:03AM
Have a look at this: [plus.google.com]
April 16, 2015 05:43PM
Well, i haven't found the actual homepage for the milkshake, just this ebay ad:

[www.ebay.co.uk]

But the Smoothie v2 Pro seems to have it all. Just dissapointed it does not seem to be ready yet.
April 16, 2015 06:13PM
That actually looks pretty good, and if you're in the UK, probably cheaper than having a Smoothieboard shipped from the US.
April 16, 2015 07:43PM
AndersE
But the Smoothie v2 Pro seems to have it all. Just dissapointed it does not seem to be ready yet.

Seriously? To me it seemed like a 1st of April joke on RepRappers, a $400+ monstrosity piling up every single "dream feature" that one could ever hear about in forums or on irc channels.

April 16, 2015 08:16PM
AndrewBCN
Seriously? To me it seemed like a 1st of April joke on RepRappers, a $400+ monstrosity piling up every single "dream feature" that one could ever hear about in forums or on irc channels.

...except that it was posted in January...not April:

https://plus.google.com/+ArthurWolf/posts/MEPqaThEaRq?cfem=1
April 17, 2015 06:42AM
Yes, and that it was Arthur Wolf posting it.. Isn't he the developer of the smoothieboard?
April 17, 2015 11:21AM
Yup. He 'da man in all things Smoothie.....
April 20, 2015 07:51AM
AndrewBCN
AndersE

It'll actually be more like $200+

The goal there is to have a $100+ "basic" Smoothieboard v2 which will be similar to the current one but with a few improvements, and a Cortex-M4/200Mhz chip instead of the current Cortex-M3 chip.

And then, for people that need even more than that, have the v2 pro, with the M4 chip, a FPGA, 1/256 drivers etc ... At $200+

It is definitely not a joke, it is intended as a platform to explore what Reprap electronics will be in the future, make it easy to explore new techniques/features, while still retaining the simplicity of being based on a common firmware/hardware setup.

Things this should make easier to explore include :
* Fully silent printers ( 1/256 microstepping with the FPGA to generate steps fast enough )
* Complex motion control ( non-segmented delta kinematics, robot arm control, 3rd-order acceleration )
* High speed movement ( for example for laser engraving )
* Smarter printing ( extruder pressure management with long look-ahead )
* Network printing ( current Smoothieboard has some limits on what can be achieved over Ethernet )
Etc ...

We are not saying these will be supported out of the box at release time of the board, but that the board is designed with the intent of helping people that want to explore those themes.

The v2 pro is not a board for everybody, it's a board for high-end machines, power-users, developpers, and people working on new funky techniques, and new types of CNC machines ( we have a lot of those in the Smoothie community, often asking for a more powerful board ).

Cheers smiling smiley
April 20, 2015 07:22PM
Here's a brand new entry that meets some of your needs::

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3D-printer-control-board-MKS-board-SBASE-board-is-compatible-with-Smoothieware-V1-0-32/32321983092.html

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?13,499322

Smoothieware, 4 x mosfets, 5 x DRV8825's, ethernet on board, $65.08 USD.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 07:24PM by vreihen.
April 23, 2015 09:19AM
MKS SBASE 1.0 ?

MKS BASE 1.0 i can find info about but not the SBase variant.

Seems interesting, but as there does not seem to be any real english docs or other info i don't know.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login