Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Try AZSMZ Mini to wifi print

Posted by cxandy 
Try AZSMZ Mini to wifi print
April 17, 2015 10:07AM
AZSMZ Mini + AZSMZ 12864 LCD + ESP8266

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 10:25AM by cxandy.

New 32 bit ARM based Motion controller for 3D printers, CNC Machines and Laser cutters. Like Azteeg x5 mini or smoothieboard(no network).
AZSMZ Mini [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com]
AZSMZ 12864 LCD [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com] [azsmz.aliexpress.com]
SMART RAMPS [www.ebay.com] [bancuit.aliexpress.com] [azsmz.aliexpress.com]
[www.facebook.com]
Re: Try AZSMZ Mini to wifi print
April 17, 2015 10:08AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 10:26AM by cxandy.
April 17, 2015 10:08AM

April 17, 2015 10:09AM
Reprtier Host printer settings:

New 32 bit ARM based Motion controller for 3D printers, CNC Machines and Laser cutters. Like Azteeg x5 mini or smoothieboard(no network).
[www.facebook.com]
April 17, 2015 11:23AM
Did you add the wifi support to Smoothieware, or was it already there?????
April 17, 2015 05:22PM
Three questions:
Are you trying to use wifi to connect to your printer while running host software on a remote computer?
Do you expect host software connected by wifi to be as reliable as printing from an SD card on the controller board?
Why?
April 18, 2015 04:46PM
Very cool.

Any source code for this I can test? How about using the smoothie firmware with this module?

This is really cool I have a AZSMZ, going to buy that wifi module and see if I can get it working as well
April 18, 2015 06:11PM

Are you have AZSMZ 12864 LCD, and the ESP8266 need modified firmware.

[www.facebook.com]
April 18, 2015 07:02PM
Yes I do have the AZSMZ 12864 LCD. I am going to buy the Wifi ESP8266.

Super cool I see the place where you solder this, any special connections or jumpers? Looks you made the pcb designed for this chip ahead of time!smiling smiley

Can you post the firmware/source code so I can try it as well?
April 18, 2015 07:13PM
thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 08:38PM by cxandy.
April 20, 2015 08:05AM
cxandy
thanks.

Please share the source code so we can use the modified firmware
April 20, 2015 10:17AM
I just got my AZSMZ board installed and have been having USB communication stability problems.
I bought one of those ESP8266 modules at the same time I bought the AZSMZ a few weeks knowing there was no smoothieware support (yet).
This should pretty much eliminate the need to use the USB cable since I prefer to print from SD card anyway.
I doubt that spooling G-code across WiFi is going to work reliably, but if I can copy G-code files to the SD card via Wifi, that might allow me to bypass all these USB issues.

Can you supply a modified Smoothie firmware? Also, what ESP8266 firmware are you using?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2015 06:37AM by KDan.
June 22, 2015 04:40PM
The cost of the board is so close to that of a smoothie that it's not worth taking the chance for $20.

I have already added Bluetooth to the Smoothie, putting an ESP on shouldn't present any problems -and there's no need to modify any firmware, the Smoothie is already set up to use an external UART. It's just a matter of programming the ESP to join your WiFi network.

What is needed is a TCP serial interface, but I'm sure I have one of those about the place, somewhere, I can press into service.

Looks like this is tomorrow's tech challenge.
August 30, 2015 07:14PM
ledaero
The cost of the board is so close to that of a smoothie that it's not worth taking the chance for $20.

I have already added Bluetooth to the Smoothie, putting an ESP on shouldn't present any problems -and there's no need to modify any firmware, the Smoothie is already set up to use an external UART. It's just a matter of programming the ESP to join your WiFi network.

What is needed is a TCP serial interface, but I'm sure I have one of those about the place, somewhere, I can press into service.

Looks like this is tomorrow's tech challenge.

I'm not quite sure about the $20 difference.
Smoothie X5 = $150
AZSMZ mini = $50 + cost of 5 DVR8825 stepper drivers (~$10 from banggood)

At any rate, my USB problems were quickly resolved and were related to smoothieware mounting the SD card as an MSD, not the AZSMZ board itself.
Used version of smoothieware with MSD disabled and it works great.
As far as the ESP8266 is concerned, the serial interface turned out to be to slow to transfer large G-code files anyway. That was what I was interested in. Problem solved by simply plugging in a Toshiba FlashAir SD card and enabling the upload mode. Even the largest G-code files only take a couple of seconds to do a WiFi upload. Wired connection to the AZSMZ mini no longer required.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 07:30PM by KDan.
September 03, 2015 04:05AM
I'll have to try one of those WiFi SD cards. Are there any problems with accessing the files at the same time as the printer is, or is there some kind of contention mechanism?

I've got the ESP8266 up-and-running on the AZSMZ and it works fine for 'control' traffic when calibrating or testing but I don't think I'd trust it for printing directly. The FlashAir would remove need to swap SD cards back and forth, sounds great!

adavidm
September 15, 2015 04:48AM
Has modified software been released?
How do I get software from second post?
Anyone used this yet?

thanks!
November 22, 2015 10:39PM
Any updates on this? I got the ESP8266, soldered it in...now what?? ;-)
February 22, 2016 05:11PM
I did not solder the unit in yet, i was wondering if i need to flash it first, or this can be done via air or the board.
Any idea's Mr Rose Fish? Maybe you can write some tutorial on how to get this working? would be great.

I would like to use this to transfer the file to sd-card and than give it a start command.
Possible?

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login