Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China

Posted by vreihen 
Re: New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China
June 19, 2015 07:12AM
Why don't you just glue the heater to the underside of the top plate? If you don't want to glue it, then put a piece of glass (or other thermal insulator) on the bottom side- it will reduce heat lost via the bottom side of the plate so will help the top side reach print temperature faster.
June 19, 2015 09:33AM
I already use cardboard (greater R rating than even that Pink insulation batting) but I was thinking of making it flat and if the top plate comes in contact with more of it then it will heat up faster.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
June 23, 2015 10:20AM
Has anyone tested this board yet? I've ordered it now as a simple to use / cheap electronics kit. I'm also curious if these boards have mosfet protection with a freewheeling diode to avoid the high voltage spikes from the parasitic inductances of the heat bed / heater cartridge.

I hope by the time I get it someone will have already ported DC42's method for quick delta autocalibration to smoothieware smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2015 10:26AM by Dejay.
June 27, 2015 12:08PM
I received the MKS SBASE V1.0 Motherboard yesterday and spent the night checking it out.

The small MOSFETS for E0 E1 and FAN are LR7843 International Rectifier 30V 3.3mOhm 161A/140W. The one large MOSFET for the BED is VS40200AT Vangaurd Semiconductor 40V 3mOhm 200A/300W. The MOSFETs as well as the DRV8825s are heatsinked with vias through the board to the back, where they meet a second copper pad that's then coated in solder. All the MOSFETs are driven by TC4427 MOSFET drivers which are supplied with 12V for gate voltage by a L7812C2T linear regulator on board. Current for the steppers is set using Microchip MCP4451-503 digital pots, and there are headers for external steppers or for linking E1 to Z for driving two motors from one control. The caps are 105C rated ChengX capacitors.

The board is powered by a STmicro L5970 step-down switching regulator or via USB rated for 1A. Power draw is 100mA at 12V, down to 70mA at 24V without the USB plugged in. Power drops to 47mA at 12V, 40mA at 24V with the USB plugged in. Because the regulator is rated for 1A, I figued what the heck and plugged a Pi into it. The voltage dropped to 4.65V but the Pi booted and ran along with an Edimax wifi dongle. So theoretically you could run OctoPrint right from this, but I'm not sure the designers had this in mind when the build the SBASE so the inductor is probably not rated for this load.

There's 5 LEDs that indicate the status of the board (like the 6 smoothie has except without the VBB?) they blink and all that good stuff to help troubleshoot. There's also an LED by each MOSFET just like smoothie. The ethernet works, that's all I have to say about that.

There's a 6 pin programming header, a well as an IBOOT jumper (not sure what that does). The connectors are:
EXP1
1 - P1.31 - Buzzer
2 - P1.30 - Click button Pin
3 - P0.18 - LCDE (MOSI0)
4 - P0.16 - LCDRS (SSEL0)
5 - P0.17 - LCD4 (MISO0)
6,7,8 - NC
9 - GND
10 - 5V

EXP2
1 - P0.8 - MISO1
2 - P0.7 - SCK1
3 - P3.25 - Encoder Pin A
4 - P0.28 - SD select (SCL0)
5 - P3.36 - Encoder Pin B
6 - P0.9 - MOSI1
7 - P0.27 - SD detect (SDA0)
8 - Reset
9 - GND
10 - 5V

AUX1 is 5V/GND. The RX, TX, RTS, CTS (labeled as MKS TFT in the seller image) do not appear to be connected directly to the CPU, however using a TTL serial cable I get the smoothie console if I connect to RX/TX/GND. EXP1 and EXP2 are the pinout to connect to a 12864LCD with encoder and SD card. A "2004" LCD will not work as the other LCD data lines are not connected to the CPU. There is a block of 3 jumpers labeled J16. These connect the EXT2 MISO, MOSI, and SCK pins to the controller. If you pull the jumpers off I guess you could use the SPI bus for something else?

I tested a 1.4 ohm heated bed at 12V (8.5A) on the large FET. 20 minutes later it was still nice and cool. The area around the fuse (slightly below and to the left of the FET) is actually hotter.

For fun I put the heated bed on one of the extruder FETs. Hey they're rated for it, why not? It seem to work ok as well

Kysan 42BYGH4803 steppers were attached and current set to 1.5A. After one hour of running they were still chugging away. They get up to temperature pretty quickly but stay there.

For comparison I dropped the stepper current to 1A and they chips cool as expected.

So my impression of this board is that it is quite good. For the price I really expected it to be a lot lower quality and poorly built. I sort of hoped it would be a piece of junk so I could confidently say that the official smoothieboard was better in every way, but I can't, this is just a good cheap knockoff. The downside for me is that I would like to control the printer's LED lights, as well as a second fan and this just doen't have the headers to be able to wire mosfets to for that purpose. If that's what you need, then smootheboard all the way, but this is a solid alternative for running a dual extruder printer with the power of smoothieware on the cheap.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2015 02:04PM by CapnBry.
June 27, 2015 01:23PM
This is probably why they are making a Pro, or will be, inthe future because the knockoffs have knocked them out. I always thought the Smoothie was over priced (regardless of the quoted reasons) and this shows it. This is more like an Azteeg X5 I think and even that one is over priced just not by as much as the gouging Smoothie.

In today's world it seems you either start out reasonably priced or start high then make a killing until China comes in with a really more inexpensive version and the cycle starts over though I am surprised that China made this. Now to see reliability of it over time.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
June 27, 2015 08:22PM
Thank you CapnBry for testing it out! Now I feel even better for ordering it smiling smiley

Depending on how much I like smoothieware I'll just make a direct donation to it.

I didn't order any LCD for the board. I want to just use it over the web interface and without USB / SD card. Is that a bad idea? Can I even copy a gcode file over ethernet onto the board?
June 27, 2015 08:48PM
If it uses SPI to write to the SD card it will be slow to transfer a gcode file via ethernet.

See: [groups.google.com]
June 27, 2015 08:52PM
Hmm thanks for that. That's a pity. Is transfer over USB faster?
June 27, 2015 09:16PM
Yes. Very fast.
June 28, 2015 10:48AM
Dejay
I want to just use it over the web interface and without USB / SD card. Is that a bad idea? Can I even copy a gcode file over ethernet onto the board?
Wow I didn't think the ethernet would be so slow because the web interface pops up so quickly (although there isn't much to it). Uploading a 6MB file took five minutes, which is 21kbit/s.
June 28, 2015 11:33AM
Thanks for the info! If the SD card is the bottleneck then I guess the best way might be to use a raspberry and send via USB. If the SD card is faster on the raspberry lol.
June 28, 2015 01:56PM
CapnBry
Dejay
I want to just use it over the web interface and without USB / SD card. Is that a bad idea? Can I even copy a gcode file over ethernet onto the board?
Wow I didn't think the ethernet would be so slow because the web interface pops up so quickly (although there isn't much to it). Uploading a 6MB file took five minutes, which is 21kbit/s.
If the SD card is even slower than this it would make this useless for me as I deal in 20's of megs of gcode.

_______
June 28, 2015 05:24PM
Dejay
Thanks for the info! If the SD card is the bottleneck then I guess the best way might be to use a raspberry and send via USB. If the SD card is faster on the raspberry lol.

By the time you have added the RPi to the SBASE, you could have bought a Duet for the same or lower price. The Duet uses an SDHC interface to the SD card. The file upload speed from the web interface to SD card is a little over 170Kbytes/sec, or about 10Mb/minute.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 28, 2015 10:55PM
dc42
Dejay

By the time you have added the RPi to the SBASE, you could have bought a Duet for the same or lower price. The Duet uses an SDHC interface to the SD card. The file upload speed from the web interface to SD card is a little over 170Kbytes/sec, or about 10Mb/minute.
Which is the maximum of a SD card too I think. What is troublesome is not the SD card but saying the USB is so damn slow too. If it is that slow on USB, as CapnBry said, it is pure junk. What is it using USB 1.0, or 1.1, interface?

_______
June 29, 2015 02:19AM
I thought CapnBry was talking about the upload speed to SD card using Ethernet, not USB. But I understand from elsewhere that the limitation on Smoothie based boards is the speed of the SD card interface; so if uploading to SD card over USB is also slow, that doesn't mean that the USB interface is slow.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 29, 2015 04:11AM
dc42

True of course, really a bummer. Slow SD card speed is a limitation I didn't think about at all! I guess just using the printer over USB will do though. Still better than a ramps.
June 29, 2015 04:17AM
dc42
I thought CapnBry was talking about the upload speed to SD card using Ethernet, not USB. But I understand from elsewhere that the limitation on Smoothie based boards is the speed of the SD card interface; so if uploading to SD card over USB is also slow, that doesn't mean that the USB interface is slow.
Need for him to clarify and my SD card reader is USB 3.0 and 2.2 backwards compatible which on a standard older PC takes hardly anytime whatsoever to transfer files to and from it. So, if I am stuck without a SD card, or being able to have anything with modern decent speeds to transfer my gcode over, then even the smoothie would not be for me. I don't need the speed of USB 3.0 but I refuse the speeds of USB 1.1 for file transfering too.

_______
June 29, 2015 04:31AM
The_digital_dentist kindly explained it a few posts up. The problem is the interface of the processor with the sd card (SPI). Reading from it or streaming while printing won't be a problem. So printing through USB or printing from SD won't be a problem. Or writing stuff on your PC on sd card then putting it in and printing off it should work too. It won't be reading the gcode very fast.

Just transferring them for autonomous printing over ethernet will be slow. Look like the duet from replikeo.com/en/3d-printer/duet-board is the better option after all lol.

I think ultimately both are just a stop gap to something like a Beaglebone Black with a cheap shield. A full 1ghz linux computer instead of a 86mhz one. With desktop environment if you want, or a USB webcam. But the main problem I have with that is that machinekit is so complex and hard to tinker with. Theoretically a shield for a BBB wouldn't have to cost more than ramps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2015 04:32AM by Dejay.
June 29, 2015 06:30AM
I agree as I think we will end up there with 1ghz+ ARM based machines that will cost around what a current 2560+ramps does. I give it another year or two max (might be wishful thinking but all signs are pointing in that direction).

_______
June 29, 2015 08:41AM
Dark Alchemist
Need for him to clarify and my SD card reader is USB 3.0 and 2.2 backwards compatible which on a standard older PC takes hardly anytime whatsoever to transfer files to and from it. So, if I am stuck without a SD card, or being able to have anything with modern decent speeds to transfer my gcode over, then even the smoothie would not be for me. I don't need the speed of USB 3.0 but I refuse the speeds of USB 1.1 for file transfering too.
My numbers were transferring a file over ethernet. Uploading over USB to the SD card might be faster, I mean it's got to be faster than 21kbit.

I use Octoprint though, which streams the gcode so the speed of the SD card isn't a limitation to me, it's just there to store the config file and allow me to update the firmware.
June 29, 2015 02:12PM
See, I currently use my master PC and printrun and I highly doubt I will ever change that workflow as I do not like to use just the SD card in my experiments here last year. Not comfortable with it for many reasons.

So, in my case, it would be really slow for me? USB should never be that slow for a decade, or more, now. USB 1.1 was a max of around 12mbits so it seems it is even slower than that which is not acceptable in today's world. Glad to know even Smoothie sucks in this department so I don't waste my money.

_______
June 29, 2015 03:49PM
Dark Alchemist
So, in my case, it would be really slow for me? USB should never be that slow for a decade, or more, now. USB 1.1 was a max of around 12mbits so it seems it is even slower than that which is not acceptable in today's world. Glad to know even Smoothie sucks in this department so I don't waste my money.
I don't think you're understanding what we're talking about. This is specifically about uploading a file to the SD card through the ethernet interface which is slow.

printrun (pronterface) does not upload to the SD card, it streams it as the printer prints so it is not affected by the speed of the ethernet+SD latency.
June 29, 2015 05:00PM
Ahhh, the thing is why in the hell would anyone stream a file to the SD card via the clone? Just stick it in your PC and copy it there and walk it over. I know, people want the lazy way but these devices aren't set up for the lazy way apparently. So, live with their limitations and copy it to the SD card on your PC or wait for the technology to catch up. Hell, I would love to use the ethernet for everything (including WIFI printing) but I was told a while back you can't due to latency and retransmissions of the TCP protocol and to use UDP could mean pieces of gcode would be lost (it would take programming, and faster CPUs, to compensate like MMORPGs currently do over UDP. One day but not yet.).

_______
June 30, 2015 08:34AM
Oh I totally agree. It is a shame it is so slow though because I'm sure a lot of code went into making it work. I think half of the problem is the UIP library they use for the networking. I used this on an Arduino many years back to add networking to my project and it was pretty A) amazing that a whole network stack can be implemented in like 15kB cool smiley awful because you could only support one connection, and only send frames up to like 1kB and only have one "on the wire" at any time. The other half of it is Windows' delayed ack which waits 200ms before sending an ack to a TCP connection, expecting more data to come. If you can only have one frame on the wire at any time that adds 200ms additional latency to every block of data (which were already small to begin with). UIP is fine for sending small chunks of data at high latency but not at all for moderate throughput. A microcontroller needs, like a few hundred KB of RAM to be able to "fill the pipe" to get throughput up.

I have a Raspberry Pi hooked to my current printer, and this one will get one too, for running OctoPrint. As someone pointed out, this adds $50-55 to the cost of the board, but I like the functionality of OctoPrint, upload an STL, it slices (through the cloud) and prints when it is ready add a webcam and you can check on it from the other room. The network performance still tops out around 6 MBytes/s but that's enough for my workflow, I'm not moving hundreds of megs of data there.
June 30, 2015 12:52PM
CapnBry
Oh I totally agree. It is a shame it is so slow though because I'm sure a lot of code went into making it work. ... I think half of the problem is the UIP library they use for the networking. I used this on an Arduino many years back to add with). UIP is fine for sending small chunks of data at high latency but not at all for moderate throughput. A microcontroller needs, like a few hundred KB of RAM to be able to "fill the pipe" to get throughput up.

The Duet firmware manages a decent throughout and supports multiple connections with under 100K of total RAM, but it uses LWIP not UIP.

June 30, 2015 10:08PM
I guess I was speaking theoretically. TCP/IP can use a 64kB window and have multiple frames in flight at any given time (going and coming). Duet/LWIP might perform better than Smoothie/UIP, but they are coming nowhere near "filling the pipe" especially if supporting more than one connection at once with such limited resources. That said, in practical application it could be sufficient for low bandwidth multiple connections (2 or 3) or one moderate bandwidth connection.

Just to confirm something else, I hooked a 12864 "reprap GLCD" to the EXT1 and EXT2 headers and it works fully on the SBASE. Rotary encoder w/ push, buzzer, menus. The "stop" button is tied to the reset line though, so pressing STOP just reboots the SBASE. Icons for hotend, fan, and bed heating are shown below the text as well when they are on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2015 10:17PM by CapnBry.
July 01, 2015 06:08AM
Thanks for the review Capnbry! Your word is gospel to me. I sent Maker Base an email and asked them which vendor I should use. They responded by making the board available on their Aliexpress store. See [www.aliexpress.com]

It is a little less expensive. $55.15.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2015 07:28PM by GeoDave.
July 01, 2015 06:52AM
CapnBry
I guess I was speaking theoretically. TCP/IP can use a 64kB window and have multiple frames in flight at any given time (going and coming). Duet/LWIP might perform better than Smoothie/UIP, but they are coming nowhere near "filling the pipe" especially if supporting more than one connection at once with such limited resources. That said, in practical application it could be sufficient for low bandwidth multiple connections (2 or 3) or one moderate bandwidth connection.

Just to confirm something else, I hooked a 12864 "reprap GLCD" to the EXT1 and EXT2 headers and it works fully on the SBASE. Rotary encoder w/ push, buzzer, menus. The "stop" button is tied to the reset line though, so pressing STOP just reboots the SBASE. Icons for hotend, fan, and bed heating are shown below the text as well when they are on.
What, if anything, is worse than the Smoothie/Azteeg X5? Is there anything better?

_______
July 05, 2015 04:24PM
Well I found something to complain about now that the rest of the printer is up and running. I could not get it to maintain a hotend temperature on my official E3D v6 hotend. It would fluctuate 3-5 degrees either way, and the PID controller was going nuts trying to maintain it. I tried the PID autotune but it didn't help, so what I did was just set the PWM heater output manually to a fixed value and waited for the temperature to stabilize:

So yeah, there's no way any PID algorithm is going to be able to control anything if the input is bonkers. Watching the temperature on the LCD, it will be at a temperature then jump up 2 degrees in one second then jump back down. There's just way too much noise for the software to work properly.

I'm not sure if the real Smoothieboard just does a better job of suppressing the noise, but the thermistor chosen by E3D seems ill-suited for this application. At 230C, there is just 4.03 ohms per degree , which would be over 1 degree C per 10 bit ADC tick, and you'd need less than 3mV of noise to be able to measure that which we can see here the noise is at least 3 times that:

July 06, 2015 01:45AM
Assuming you have wired the themistor to the correct pins, it looks to me that the analog ground hasn't been separated adequately from the main ground that carries stepper motor currents.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login