Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China

Posted by vreihen 
Re: New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China
September 12, 2015 04:13AM
I suggest soldering the drv8825 drivers to the bottom layer next time and keep the heatsink on the top layer. That way, you get the "best of both worlds"

A ) you can still mount the board with short spacers.
B ) the heat transfer is optimized too

-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2015 04:13AM by o_lampe.
September 12, 2015 04:58AM
o_lampe
I suggest soldering the drv8825 drivers to the bottom layer next time and keep the heatsink on the top layer. That way, you get the "best of both worlds"
-Olaf

Yep that's definitely a better way. Some DRV8825 drivers with the pololu footprint already do this. It makes manufacturing a bit more complex though.

o_lampe
When I asked if your opinion is totally unbiased, I just wanted to point out your special relation to smoothieboard to other readers to take the edge of your comments.

I can understand that ... I don't have signature because I see many people abusing those as a form of advertising ( posting on any topic they can find, just so people see the link to their shop ), but I guess that means I should introduce myself when relevant ...
So hey everybody, I started the Smoothie project, and I sell Smoothieboards. And I still stand 100% behind what I said about board design here smiling smiley
September 12, 2015 06:12AM
to arthurwolf:

I admire your contribution on community and agree most of your opinion except about heatsink.

I have delete doc copy from smoothie web, and add MKS SBASEV1.1' PCB and SCH file in pdf .Github

This is not enough, and can't be identified as Open-Hardware. Becase of we don't like see it be clone with bad component after a month, and we are accused by purchaser(this things has happen on our other board), so we can't release all files and feel sorry for that.

We like smoothieware and believe it is one of the best 3d firmware base on ARM, So we make MKS SBase and improve it and introduction it to our customer who need ARM board. And really we benifit of it.

I don't want offend you and never think advertise it in this forum, I just answer some question about MKS SBASE and issue my view.hope you can understand. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2015 10:51AM by flyway97.
September 12, 2015 12:42PM
Back on topic smiling smiley Is there anyone who solved the temperature problem on the 1.0 version. Does the solution from flyway97 work?
Or can flyway97 tell us how he solved it in vs 1.1? and can we adopt it on vs 1.0?
Thanks
September 14, 2015 03:12AM
tarjeik
I've ordered a 1.1 board from the MakerBase store on Ali. The listing still says V1.0, but I've been promised that they'll ship the V1.1 board (it shipped yesterday after having been out of stock for a while).

Let us know if you do receive a 1.1 board.
September 14, 2015 10:02AM
wrangler
Back on topic smiling smiley Is there anyone who solved the temperature problem on the 1.0 version. Does the solution from flyway97 work?
I didn't replace the switching regulator, but the fact that on my board it still did it when powered through 5V USB power indicated to me that there other issues in the board layout itself so there's no fix.
September 15, 2015 01:05PM
Just a thought, would it be possible to negate the temperature noise issue to some degree by sampling ADC more often and take a median or average value? (essentially filtering the temperature in software)?
September 15, 2015 01:07PM
Redem
Just a thought, would it be possible to negate the temperature noise issue to some degree by sampling ADC more often and take a median or average value? (essentially filtering the temperature in software)?

Smoothie firmware already does that. It helps but not having the correct ADC wiring is still going to hurt the results.
September 15, 2015 01:40PM
arthurwolf
Smoothie firmware already does that. It helps but not having the correct ADC wiring is still going to hurt the results.

Ok, I agree about the wiring, good hardware design is essential for good results of course, I was just trying to find an out for those with unusable 1.0 boards out there.

If there were a schematic available i guess it could be possible to do a hardware hack by separate the ADC ground and wiring it up correctly, but since its closed hardware I guess that would be up to the makers of the board.

EDIT:
Looked at the smoothie code, as I understand it you use either a median or a combination of a median and average (average of midpoints) filter, how about something like a 10 sample moving average, wouldn't that work better with a noisy signal like this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2015 05:48PM by Redem.
September 16, 2015 04:31AM
Even with a schematic of the board, chances are the ADC ground is somewhere hidden in the inside layers ( 4 layer design IIRC?? )

The only workaround, I can think of is using thermocouples with adapterboards. They come with their own ADC and send digital data to the SBase.
"Just" need to figure out, how to connect these adapterboards...
-Olaf
September 16, 2015 07:02AM
o_lampe
Even with a schematic of the board, chances are the ADC ground is somewhere hidden in the inside layers ( 4 layer design IIRC?? )

The only workaround, I can think of is using thermocouples with adapterboards. They come with their own ADC and send digital data to the SBase.
"Just" need to figure out, how to connect these adapterboards...
-Olaf

Yep, I was more thinking in line with mad smd soldering skills, desoldering and breaking out analogue pins to separate board, not really feasible.

This could be a fun challenge, perhaps I'll buy a board and go nuts grinning smiley
(Or I'll continue building my second delta and look at whats hot controller wise when its time to put it in motion...)
September 16, 2015 10:37AM
Right now the hottest 32 bit offer is a duet 0.6 from replikeo. Four steppers are enough for a delta and it´s expandable, too.

Sorry for advertising
-Olaf
September 16, 2015 03:17PM
o_lampe
Right now the hottest 32 bit offer is a duet 0.6 from replikeo. Four steppers are enough for a delta and it´s expandable, too.

Sorry for advertising
-Olaf

No problem, I heard a lot of good stuff about the duet. Also the dc42 fork of the reprap firmware seems very interesting for delta users.
September 18, 2015 02:52AM
tarjeik
I've ordered a 1.1 board from the MakerBase store on Ali. The listing still says V1.0, but I've been promised that they'll ship the V1.1 board (it shipped yesterday after having been out of stock for a while).

MKS SBASE on AliExpress

For anyone interested, they have now updated the product description on the AliExpress listing. The v1.1 changelog:

1. fix temperature problem.
  2. add thermocouple Pins( can't be used with 12864lcd together).
  3. add some pins P1.22 P1.23 P2.12 P2.11 P4.28 for customization use.
  4. add endstop power select function,can select 3.3V or 5V
  5. add two big heatsinks

Not sure where the "two big heatsinks" are located, but I guess we should let the heatsink discussions rest now smiling smiley
September 18, 2015 03:22AM
@to flyway97

I wonder if the are going to compensate the buyers from the sbase vs1.0 or at least offer a solution to solve the problem.
This is what a good seller suppost to do to keep there credibilitie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2015 03:24AM by wrangler.
September 18, 2015 04:09AM
1. take off component D5 and F3;
2. Connect R-78E-5.0's 3 pins to the 3 solder joints as shown in the picture,
(pin1 to label 1, pin2 to label 2, pin3 to label 3),then it can work well.

September 18, 2015 06:08AM
Hi Fyway97,

Yes I can read that on page two, but is it actually tested? Nobody on this forum confirms this solution.
So did you test it?
September 19, 2015 11:52AM
Tried it myself and working fine smileys with beer temperature is +- 0.3 degree Celcius so I'm happy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2015 12:14PM by wrangler.
September 22, 2015 12:24AM
Can someone tell me what the correct name for the connectors that are used for the steppers?

EDIT: Found them - JST XH. Also are these connectors replicated on the plain 4 pin connectors below the 8825 chips labelled Jc_M1 etc?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2015 12:39AM by rocketwiz.
September 22, 2015 09:58AM
wrangler
Tried it myself and working fine smileys with beer temperature is +- 0.3 degree Celcius so I'm happy.

[attachment 62592 tempcor.jpg]

Yay! Ordered my part, should be here Friday. Thanks for the pic!
September 23, 2015 01:09PM
Is this the part needed???

[www.mouser.com]

[www.digikey.com]

[www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2015 01:10PM by patrickrio.
September 23, 2015 01:38PM
This is the suggested fix and the one I ordered: [www.mouser.com]
September 23, 2015 04:15PM
Thats the one i used.
R-78E5.0-0.5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2015 04:16PM by wrangler.
September 23, 2015 05:25PM
Hmmm... Wonder if it will make a difference... don't think so but I guess I'll find out today because my order is in.

Only question is the rep gave us a different diagram from what I've seen you do wrangler. Something like pin 1 goes to the middle point and two to the left point and three to the right. Yet yours works... is it a different pin out?
September 23, 2015 05:55PM
Viper97
Hmmm... Wonder if it will make a difference... don't think so but I guess I'll find out today because my order is in.

Only question is the rep gave us a different diagram from what I've seen you do wrangler. Something like pin 1 goes to the middle point and two to the left point and three to the right. Yet yours works... is it a different pin out?

Nope.
September 24, 2015 05:04AM
@Viper97
The picture from Wrangler is "upside-down" . He´s using the same pins... smiling smiley
-Olaf
September 24, 2015 07:41AM
o_lampe
@Viper97
The picture from Wrangler is "upside-down" . He´s using the same pins... smiling smiley
-Olaf

This is what happens when you're at work and are trying to remember your board and match it with the picture. Got home and took a look and went oh!!!!!! that makes more sense! smiling smiley Yeesh.
September 28, 2015 03:30PM
I just picked up an SBASE v1, and after the mod the hotend temp holds fine. Unfortunately when I turned on the heated bed for the first time, my power supply immediately shut off, so I assume there was a short somewhere. After double checking all the wiring, everything else is fine, but nothing happens when I try to turn on the bed. Could this be a blow fuse? And if so could someone point me toward which component on the board it is since I'll need to replace it, right? Thanks!
September 28, 2015 04:47PM
I'd check where you did the mod as the first thing. You might have a solder bridge.

I've modded mine and powered it on (no load yet, waiting on a replacement Nema17) no smoke and I can get to the web interface. That's progress. Best practice for me is to test the board first to make sure it works and then mod it. This eliminates any guess work, if it worked before I modified it, then it's what I've modified that caused the problem.
September 29, 2015 05:11AM
@Glacian
When you´ve killed the heatbed MOSFET, you´re screwed...those SMD MOSFETs are hard to replace without special soldering-equipment....
Now, that you´ve done the V-regulator mod, MakerBase sure won´t replace the board, you´ve lost warranty....
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login