Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China

Posted by vreihen 
Re: New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China
February 20, 2016 10:46AM
arthurwolf
For the hundredth time : you claim to having been mistreated, but won't give me an exact nick and date. I have logs of all the channels, I can find the conversation, and we can see if you were mistreated or not.
Whatever Arthur but I told you what to look for and I told you what the general time frame was and anything else screw it (comeon who in the hell jots down times and dates for the common bull crap that happens on #reprap since I am not OCD I sure in the heck do not) and I no longer really give a flip as it happened and it will continue to happen whether you flipping believe it or not. Not you who did it so not under your control but don't flipping sit there and try and tell me it didn't happen because I will call you a liar as I know what happened. If you couldn't simply scan (ctrl-f) what I said I did in that time frame I gave you then that is your problem. Now move on because it happened and it isn't for you to control #reprap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 10:47AM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
February 20, 2016 10:57AM
dintid
tim3716
Can someone give me a quick recap of the 11 pages? Is the SBASE board worth the money at the moment?
Yes. Just get it from the primary maker of it; Maker Base
Milage might vary of course. Lots of people help, even if some view them as "leeches", but others don't want to help persons who happens to buy a copy.

I believe in Open Source, and I absolutely believe the Chinese (and others) should get real open source, but they just do not grasp that concept. We can't fault them for not having the same concept of this. At least Makers Base tries to help and give back what they can.
I have seen chinese firms put software on github to helpe people modify/customize it.. that is friendly, yes? They even put a crack for the software up as well... is that also friendly, or maybe misguided? What I'm saying is, that many actually do try to act as "The western World", but there are just so many differences in cultural and economical behaviour.

In reality people demand something from the Chinese manufacturers, which they actually believe they are allready doing since they have put stuff on Github. Antagonizing them by calling them names is not going to further the goals of being truely open source...

On the other hand, I don't think I have EVER seen a chinese manufacturer, reseller, or other non-ingame-person harass anyone, or participate in name calling.. as many do here!!
Well, that is all nice and good and all of that but what goes around comes around and I highly doubt the Chinese care to learn from the "Westerners". I will say this (has nothing to do with open source but does say something about China) China is now in a recession AND they just announced that China was going to be a service based economy (like we did in the late 1980s under GW Bush) because their companies are leaving them. Not us but their own companies leaving them because 500 per month was too much so their companies (their largest shoe maker in the country just left) are leaving for Africa where the labor makes 50 dollars per month. That sure sounds like a Western mentality to me so maybe they will come around within the next 100 years but who knows.

Fact is people should scorn them and they should stop supporting them and maybe they will go out of business for these products. I have no issues with closed source goods as I am no champion of the open source cause but don't straddle the fence either. Don't take from the OS arena then turn it into your profit margin then claim "you don't get it" because maybe you don't but if people didn't help (you know do their job for them) and stopped buying these thieves work maybe they would seek out to understand why they failed but people will flock to the junk due to prices then come wandering into the OS world for help for whatever reason. Stop helping them to force a change in China is a lot of people's opinion EVEN if they do not want to publicly admit it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 10:57AM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
February 20, 2016 11:16AM
dintid
I believe in Open Source, and I absolutely believe the Chinese (and others) should get real open source, but they just do not grasp that concept. We can't fault them for not having the same concept of this.

Chinese folks are not less intelligent or less educated than other folks. The have universities, the Internet, build factory, design things, have artists, trolls, criminals, philosophers, lawyers, magicians, everything ...
They are not extra-terrestrials, or some tribe in the Amazon that has never had contact with civilization.

Plenty of people in China understand the concept of Open-Source, and many even respect it's principles. Plenty of people outside of China understand the concept of Open-Source and choose not to respect it.

Those that do not respect it *choose* not to do so, no matter if they are in China or not, either by not doing the most basic research, or just by understanding it but choosing not to respect it anyway.

This is not a "cultural difference" thing, this is a simple to understand concept, that is very well explained, in many places.

I'm sorry to say, but I feel like suggesting they can't understand something this simple is belittling the Chinese people as a whole.

And those that choose not to respect other's work do not have the excuse of not being clever enough as is suggested here : they are responsible for their actions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 11:19AM by arthurwolf.
February 20, 2016 11:20AM
Dark Alchemist
arthurwolf
For the hundredth time : you claim to having been mistreated, but won't give me an exact nick and date. I have logs of all the channels, I can find the conversation, and we can see if you were mistreated or not.
Whatever Arthur but I told you what to look for and I told you what the general time frame was and anything else screw it.

I went and looked, I grepped months of logs, for everything you gave me, I manually went and read days of logs for the time periods you specified, and I couldn't find anything. It simply isn't there.
The logs are available for anybody that wants to look at them.
February 20, 2016 01:07PM
arthurwolf
dintid
I believe in Open Source, and I absolutely believe the Chinese (and others) should get real open source, but they just do not grasp that concept. We can't fault them for not having the same concept of this.

Chinese folks are not less intelligent or less educated than other folks. The have universities, the Internet, build factory, design things, have artists, trolls, criminals, philosophers, lawyers, magicians, everything ...
They are not extra-terrestrials, or some tribe in the Amazon that has never had contact with civilization.

Plenty of people in China understand the concept of Open-Source, and many even respect it's principles. Plenty of people outside of China understand the concept of Open-Source and choose not to respect it.

Those that do not respect it *choose* not to do so, no matter if they are in China or not, either by not doing the most basic research, or just by understanding it but choosing not to respect it anyway.

This is not a "cultural difference" thing, this is a simple to understand concept, that is very well explained, in many places.

I'm sorry to say, but I feel like suggesting they can't understand something this simple is belittling the Chinese people as a whole.

And those that choose not to respect other's work do not have the excuse of not being clever enough as is suggested here : they are responsible for their actions.
I completely agree with all of this.

They do understand but they choose to ignore it and I had a conversation about a lot of the stuff sold on eBay from China from a Chinese in China and he said that the stuff they sell there is made for the other markets and the best stuff is kept for the Chinese. Go look at the electronic/electrical stuff sold from China to the rest of the world as there are plenty of horror stories with prime examples of the crap they sell to us.

Take for instance a yellow third wire. Hmmm, why is this not hooked up? It is long enough and it has the connection for it right next to it but isn't for the majority of the goods which makes the metal enclosed item a potential death trap. You can't tell me they just didn't know so I tell everyone that if it comes from China open it up immediately and check it for missing/loose screws and the wires go where they belong. I shudder to think of the people (the majority) that buy this stuff that has no idea about electronics and just uses it. I am really surprised there aren't more deaths from things like metal enclosed outside lights with the unattached ground wire.

Oh, China knows full well what it is doing from the fake Apple stores that are dead ringers for the real thing to the faulty electronics to the specs all being between 2 to 4 times overly inflated to stomping all over open source. As you said they are not extra terrestrials.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 01:09PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
February 20, 2016 02:06PM
Dark Alchemist
arthurwolf
dintid

I completely agree with all of this.

They do understand but they choose to ignore it and I had a conversation about a lot of the stuff sold on eBay from China from a Chinese in China and he said that the stuff they sell there is made for the other markets and the best stuff is kept for the Chinese. Go look at the electronic/electrical stuff sold from China to the rest of the world as there are plenty of horror stories with prime examples of the crap they sell to us.

Take for instance a yellow third wire. Hmmm, why is this not hooked up? It is long enough and it has the connection for it right next to it but isn't for the majority of the goods which makes the metal enclosed item a potential death trap. You can't tell me they just didn't know so I tell everyone that if it comes from China open it up immediately and check it for missing/loose screws and the wires go where they belong. I shudder to think of the people (the majority) that buy this stuff that has no idea about electronics and just uses it. I am really surprised there aren't more deaths from things like metal enclosed outside lights with the unattached ground wire.

Oh, China knows full well what it is doing from the fake Apple stores that are dead ringers for the real thing to the faulty electronics to the specs all being between 2 to 4 times overly inflated to stomping all over open source. As you said they are not extra terrestrials.
I Obviously made my statement based on a lot of TALKS I've had with them. I have dealt extensively with multiple chinese Merchants, so no, I'm not belittling them. They actually do try to be accomodating, but they do OFCOUSE do so based on their cultural context.

Same as most US people seems to think they are ALWAYS right, and if anyone is doing things differently, they better change their way of doing things. This is intentionally being Black and White to illustrate how silly and stupid it is for so many people here to complain and whine all the time.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
February 20, 2016 04:52PM
Hi w3drk, i've the same board and i would to mount it in my Sunhokey prusa i3. Can you teach me how to connect and configure two Z axis into the main board please?

If you can, can you send me your config.txt please ?

Thank you in advace

Kojaku

(sorry for my bad "ENGRISH")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 04:53PM by Kojaku.
February 22, 2016 07:34AM
AFAI, the makerbase guys appears to be selling the board with all those fixes which has been discussed/discovered in this thread so far. link: [www.aliexpress.com]
February 24, 2016 04:10AM
Yes, the board is now sold with all the fixes needed to have a working ethernet connection. The link you posted is the shop of makerbase.
March 05, 2016 07:39PM
anyone know when running 24v does it step down to 12v for lcd panel?

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
March 08, 2016 08:18AM
So I've bought that board (v1.2) before reading this topic. I have a problem with missing microsteps, but adding 1n5406 diodes (as described here: [cabristor.blogspot.nl], 4 diodes per phase) to motor phases did not help. Maybe I did not add enough diodes, maybe messed up the wiring. Also, I have 42BYGHM810 motors, which are rated at 2.4A. I there anything I can make for this thing to not loose steps?
March 08, 2016 10:27AM
At what voltage are you running them? i'm about the fire up the same setup (also using these wantai steppers) and it's using 24v. My other printer is using the DRV8825's as well, with these motors (but it's using marlin) @15V, it's also running ok.

Are you sure the issue is related to the link you've posted? Not a 'jerk'/ acceleration thing? (jerk is junction_deviation, correct me if i'm wrong)

Do you have the issues with 1/32 or 1/16 microstep? Did you measure or observe the missing microsteps?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 10:38AM by to3dornottobe.
March 08, 2016 10:39AM
24v. I've tried 12v - no noticeable difference. I'm not comletely sure at anything right now, but my motors make that high pitch noise. Steps are lost both at 16 and 32 microstep.
Measured by G29 code - from 1 to 5 lost per 8mm probing.
About junction_deviation - mine is set to 0.2. How can it help?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 12:58PM by Dasdsddasdf.
March 08, 2016 02:54PM
Are the tests done at low speed or high speed? The junction_deviation as used on smoothie; Not the same as jerk, according to the text below; from my best of understanding, jerk on Marlin is the value in mm/s where the motors can start at/change direction while neglecting the acceleration. From 'jerk' speed to max speed, the acceleration number is used (again, on Marlin) On Smoothie it should work like this;

(source=https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Configuring-Grbl-v0.8)
Junction deviation, mm

Cornering junction deviation is used by the acceleration manager to determine how fast it can move through a path. The math is a bit complicated but in general, higher values gives generally faster, possibly jerkier motion. Lower values makes the acceleration manager more careful and will lead to careful and slower cornering. So if you run into problems where your machine tries to take a corner too fast, decrease this value to make it slow down. If you want your machine to move faster through junctions, increase this value to speed it up. For technical people, hit this link to read about Grbl's cornering algorithm, which accounts for both velocity and junction angle with a very simple, efficient, and robust method.

What current-setting (A) are you using on your motors? It might be that your current is simple too low, this could also lead to lost steps. (alpha_current, beta_current and gamma_current)
Mind you, the max current of the 8825 is 2.2A, keep the temp of the motors in mind while adjusting it. I'm using an aluminium frame which cools them quite a bit, but if you are using a plastic 'isolator' to mount the motor on, temps might get high pretty quick.
March 09, 2016 04:05AM
I've read the DRV8825 has timing issues with faster 32bit controllers and certain firmware. Now add the switching time of the diodes in series and you have missed a few steps more.
March 09, 2016 08:43AM
I guess I'll try less diodes and different motors. I'm using 626pilot's firmware: [github.com]. Is high pitch noise at some idle postions all right for these drivers?
March 09, 2016 11:13AM
I don't think it's necessarily that the DRV8825 has issues when used with faster controllers, but rather the timing requirements become more critical when used with faster controllers.

In my experience when 3D printing with Machinekit on a BeagleBoneBlack and CRAMPS shied, when using either Allegro or TI drivers you must adjust several timing parameters to ensure reliable operation.

I keep the following lines in my Machinekit configuration and simply uncomment the pertinent lines depending on which stepper drivers I'm using. Perhaps the Smoothieware developers could add something similar to their configuration file schema?

# these are in nanoseconds for Allegro A4988
DIRSETUP = 200
DIRHOLD = 200
STEPLEN = 1000
STEPSPACE = 1000

# these are in nanoseconds for DRV8825
DIRSETUP = 650
DIRHOLD = 650
STEPLEN = 1900
STEPSPACE = 1900

o_lampe
I've read the DRV8825 has timing issues with faster 32bit controllers and certain firmware. Now add the switching time of the diodes in series and you have missed a few steps more.
March 09, 2016 11:42AM
I know about only one related parameter in smoothieware config: microseconds_per_step_pulse, mine is currently set to 1. I've tried from 1 to 5 values - that did not help.
March 09, 2016 03:51PM
Perhaps adjusting the base_stepping_frequency?

What current setting did you use on your setup? ( (alpha_current, beta_current and gamma_current)
March 10, 2016 05:56AM
2A. Attached my config. About the wiring, which pins are the motor phases? In middle of connector or on it's border (on the mks board)?

This is my probe calibration:
[PR] Test 1 of 15: Measured 1669 steps (8.345 mm)
[PR] Test 2 of 15: Measured 1666 steps (8.330 mm)
[PR] Test 3 of 15: Measured 1666 steps (8.330 mm)
[PR] Test 4 of 15: Measured 1665 steps (8.325 mm)
[PR] Test 5 of 15: Measured 1665 steps (8.325 mm)
[PR] Test 6 of 15: Measured 1665 steps (8.325 mm)
[PR] Test 7 of 15: Measured 1664 steps (8.320 mm)
[PR] Test 8 of 15: Measured 1664 steps (8.320 mm)
[PR] Test 9 of 15: Measured 1663 steps (8.315 mm)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 06:47AM by Dasdsddasdf.
Attachments:
open | download - config.txt (25.4 KB)
March 11, 2016 02:13PM
What did you use for measuring the steps? and where do you measure them?
March 11, 2016 04:48PM
g29e code with pronterface.
March 12, 2016 02:45AM
I think, the drv8825 timing discussion is posted in the wrong place. It sure isn't SBase-hardware related, so I would recommend asking for help in the firmware or stepper section. If it's a common smoothieware issue, there are more people involved.
March 12, 2016 07:56AM
Maybe. But I'd still like to know, to which pins (inner or outer on motor connector, phase pins?) should I solder diodes, like here:[cabristor.blogspot.nl]. Documentation for this board does not cover it. Also, there is not a word about decay mode setting for these drivers.
March 16, 2016 09:22AM
hi there, new to this topic,
I have purchased mks sbase v1.2 board that I want to build a delta printer with. Actually my printer is built so I just need to add electronics and set-up the board. I have been looking on this topic for some sample code for the board if anyone could please share it with me . I have been looking on this topic, but it is very long topic and have not found this yet.
Thanx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2016 09:39AM by terry777.
March 16, 2016 01:39PM
try here github also could you possibe let us know how you get on with it, as someone on the irc showed me a pic of one and pcb board was bent but i really like the price compared to latest 32bit boards for what i need it for thanks

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
March 17, 2016 12:13AM
I've been too lazy to make manual calibration - with help of that site: [escher3d.com]
Prints look fine now. I guess, that high pitch noise is fine for these dirvers.
Conclusion: don't use mechanical switches for z probe.
March 17, 2016 10:19AM
The firmware installation should be similar to smoothieboard. You should probably start from here [smoothieware.org]. This doc also has the link to example config file for
deltabots : [github.com]
March 17, 2016 10:40AM
Where am I supposed to attach the layer fan? Just to the same "fan" connector as the hotend fan?
March 18, 2016 03:31AM
To the fan connector on the board. It works with m106/m107 g-codes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login