Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China

Posted by vreihen 
Re: New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China
March 23, 2016 10:29AM
I received my MKS board and the needed XHP connectors yesterday. It was all packed well. I also flashed the board with latest smoothie edge firmware version (no config files copied yet) which went ok. I have few questions about wiring it into my kossel mini build:

- I followed the build guide by blomker industries (mentioned in the reprap wiki) to setup the structure and so wired my tower end stops (x,y and Z) in "NC" config and the z-probe switch to "NO" based on the doc. I am going to use the hotend as z-probe configuration btw. Now the question is how to connect them on the board? I mean which pins needs to be connected on the board terminals? The wiring diagram of MKS guys is not very much clear.
- What are the signal pins besides the steppers drivers on the board are for? Do they needed to be connected as well?
Attachments:
open | download - MKS-SBASE-v1-2.jpg (556.1 KB)
March 24, 2016 06:36AM
tuxhead
I received my MKS board and the needed XHP connectors yesterday. It was all packed well. I also flashed the board with latest smoothie edge firmware version (no config files copied yet) which went ok. I have few questions about wiring it into my kossel mini build:

- I followed the build guide by blomker industries (mentioned in the reprap wiki) to setup the structure and so wired my tower end stops (x,y and Z) in "NC" config and the z-probe switch to "NO" based on the doc. I am going to use the hotend as z-probe configuration btw. Now the question is how to connect them on the board? I mean which pins needs to be connected on the board terminals? The wiring diagram of MKS guys is not very much clear.
- What are the signal pins besides the steppers drivers on the board are for? Do they needed to be connected as well?

Ok, I found that for connecting the tower endstops (in NC config), the S and G pins on the board (X+,Y+ and Z+ endstop ports) should be mapped to C and NC pins of the endstop, while the probe switch mapping goes the opposite (S and G mapped to C and NO endstop pins), this should be attached to Z- port on the board (references: smoothie delta config file and the MKS pin schematics).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 06:36AM by tuxhead.
March 25, 2016 05:52AM
Hi everybody!
Does anybody connect RRD smart controller display to the board?
RRD full grafic works perfectly for me. But I need nongrafic 2004LCD too.
March 31, 2016 10:12AM
Hi everybody!

Does anybody have problem with connection of LJ12A3-4-Z/BX NPN NO inductive sensors to mks sbase v1.2?

I have already spent 3 days and can't connect sensors to board.
I made board with voltage divider with smd resistors.
When signal out does not connect to board it has 4.3V or 0V depends on the sensor whether or not it is triggered.
But when i connect signal out to board and check m119 code, it always show that sensor always is untriggered.

I have changed in config file 1.28^ to 1.28!^

Scheme
Printer 23V -----------------------Sensor VCC
Printer grd -------|---------------Sensor grd
....................13kOm
Printer S -------|--------43kOm--Sensor S

Please, help me!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2016 10:13AM by ManniK.
March 31, 2016 02:38PM
Instead of 1.28^ or 1.28!^, try 1.28v or 1.28!v.
March 31, 2016 02:57PM
PhantomGT
Instead of 1.28^ or 1.28!^, try 1.28v or 1.28!v.

I have already tried 1.28!v, but there was no result. sad smiley
March 31, 2016 10:45PM
In that case, try pin 0.17^, see if that works.
April 01, 2016 05:12AM
PhantomGT

I can't find 0.17 pin on MKS SBase 1.2 pin image. Where it is situated to connect?
Can I use 0.16 pin in EXP1 instead 0.17?
April 01, 2016 08:25AM
See attached pin layout picture.
Attachments:
open | download - MKS SBASE 2.jpg (221.2 KB)
April 01, 2016 12:02PM
Thanks. I have found pin. Tomorrow i'll try.
April 01, 2016 11:23PM
Does anyone knows what different LED status shows up on the board?

With my set up, in normal working, The D3 and D4 LEDS (5 LEDS located just on top of the "MKS SBASE" name tag) constantly blinks. But sometimes after reboot/restarting the board the sometimes D4 LED blinks but D3 LED remains off and the printer fails to get connected from pronterface. On the pronterface when I hit the connect button with the LED status on the board as said, the message says "connecting" and remains in this state forever. A second reboot brings everything back to normal and printer responds properly. This happens quite frequently on back to back reboots and sometimes not even once? What does D4 "blinking" and D3"OFF" LED state indicates?
April 02, 2016 05:26AM
PhantomGT

I've tried 0.17^ and 0.17v. It does not work.
April 02, 2016 09:04AM
I have tried searching, and have read most of this thread, so please excuse me if it has allready been answered smiling smiley

Any way to use PT100 sensors on these boards?

I went ahead and got myself 2 pcs of MKS Sbase 1.2 before I had fully investigated the use of PT100 sensors.

I'm currently using PT100 sensors and PT100 Aplifier boards from E3D, which I have been using on my Ramps boards with great success.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
April 02, 2016 05:09PM
ManniK
PhantomGT

I've tried 0.17^ and 0.17v. It does not work.

Then I have no idea what is wrong.. Try using other sensor maybe?
April 10, 2016 05:38AM

Just powered it up

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
April 10, 2016 06:18AM
chris33
Just powered it up
Looks like mine, with new firmware. grinning smiley

Checked your heatsinks? Mine was very Loose, and had to reattach it using some 3M tape (suitable for this).

Still no one with ideas as to how we can use PT100 sensors or are we just forced to use thermistors or 1 thermocopler, which we can hook up to it?

Edit: Don't put your devices on top of the antistatic bags... that suits to channel all the bad wipes into your devices.. Works opposite of putting the device into the bag smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 06:19AM by dintid.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
April 10, 2016 08:03AM
i don't know about pt100 i got figure out about what abl system i can us whether fsr, proximity sensor or just the standard probe with miroswitch hopefully the fsr kit may work

up and running
April 10, 2016 10:13AM
chris33
i don't know about pt100 i got figure out about what abl system i can us whether fsr, proximity sensor or just the standard probe with miroswitch hopefully the fsr kit may work
I've actually used the Mini IR-sensors a while. Works fine. Learned to level my bed properly by now though, so no longer use any sensors etc, but instead use a 4mm alu-plate with 4mm glass on op => it does not need a sensor.

What FSR "kit" do you talk about? Asking as I have 4psc of FSR sensors lying around, but they weren't sold as any kit smiling smiley (bought them last year and never got around to using them)

April 10, 2016 10:24AM
Theres a kit with a board converts the fsrs,to be used with a normal endstop and sensitive settings [github.com] yes i agree a true bed level shouldnt need it but im gadget show man i like it when it does calibration it stratifys my ocd to watch it probe the bed and im rubbish at leveling anything and my abl on my i3 done it job for my lazyness lol

up and running
April 10, 2016 11:00AM
Hi all,

Has anyone able to get the RRD full graphic display [reprap.org] with this board. I tried enabling these options in the config file:
----
panel.enable true # set to true to enable the panel code
panel.lcd reprap_discount_glcd #
panel.spi_channel 0 # spi channel to use ; GLCD EXP1 Pins 3,5 (MOSI, SCLK)
panel.spi_cs_pin 0.16 # spi chip select ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 4
panel.encoder_a_pin 3.25!^ # encoder pin ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 3
panel.encoder_b_pin 3.26!^ # encoder pin ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 5
panel.click_button_pin 1.30!^ # click button ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 2
panel.buzz_pin 1.31 # pin for buzzer ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 1
panel.back_button_pin 2.11!^ # back button ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 8 or
panel.external_sd true # set to true if there is an extrernal sdcard on the panel
panel.external_sd.spi_channel 1 # set spi channel the sdcard is on
panel.external_sd.spi_cs_pin 0.28 # set spi chip select for the sdcard (or any spare pin)
panel.external_sd.sdcd_pin 0.27!^ # sd detect signal (set to nc if no sdcard detect) (or any spare pin)

panel.menu_offset 1 # some panels will need 1 here
panel.alpha_jog_feedrate 6000 # x jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.beta_jog_feedrate 6000 # y jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.gamma_jog_feedrate 200 # z jogging feedrate in mm/min

panel.hotend_temperature 185 # temp to set hotend when preheat is selected
panel.bed_temperature 60 # temp to set bed when preheat is selected
----

but that doesn't seem to work. There is no display, just a faint buzzer sound while the board boots and that all. It remains all blank. Rotating the dials on the display causes the LEDs on the board to blink though, but this causes the pronterface connection to fail (this may be my mistake of using the display while connected via PC, this is my first kossel mini build).The display seems to work for sure as I tried it on another printer (kossel mini+reptier+ramps) of a friend. What am I missing? I tried to re-verify the pin mappings of EXP1 and EXP2 with the schematics provided by mks guys for this board. But there seems some discrepancy with the diagram, like the "2.11" pin in the above config is actually not present in the schematics, the pin 8 of EXP2 port is actually mapped to "RESET" in it.

It would be greatly helpful if someone can post a functioning config for this LCD
April 11, 2016 01:14AM
chris33
Theres a kit with a board converts the fsrs,to be used with a normal endstop and sensitive settings [github.com] yes i agree a true bed level shouldnt need it but im gadget show man i like it when it does calibration it stratifys my ocd to watch it probe the bed and im rubbish at leveling anything and my abl on my i3 done it job for my lazyness lol
Can only agree on that.
My main gripe about auto-level in cartesian printers is how much the print-speed is lowered.
I use marlin and if Z max speed is 15mm/s (just to illustrate), Marlin takes XYZ speeds and compile it in some way, and calculate speeds based on all three... which makes it VERY slow compared to just XY speeds.

Using Delta printers I guess it doesn't matter. Using a slow cartesian printer I guess people don't notice it much.. using a fast cartesian printer with a relatively slow Z-axis, it is very noticeable.

April 11, 2016 01:16AM
tuxhead
Has anyone able to get the RRD full graphic display [reprap.org] with this board. I tried enabling these options in the config file:

It would be greatly helpful if someone can post a functioning config for this LCD
Do you use v1.0 or v1.2? Do you use a thermocople?
Asking as they mention something regarding these configurations on their sales page: [www.aliexpress.com]

April 11, 2016 06:37AM
Amazon has this board for 30 US dollars delivered but not many left and is V1.2.

edit: 1 review and it said this - This is nice board, however the description is incorrect. The board pictured, and what you will receive is an MKS GEN V1.3. I knew this when I purchased, based off the pics.

You will receive what is pictured , an MKS GEN V1.3, NOT an MKS BASE V1.2

The GEN is a better board IMHO as it uses separate drivers, and are replaceable.

I have already flashed Repetier 0.92.8 and all is working great. Much better, albeit slightly more costly that a Ramps. Well worth the extra cost.

edit 2: Here is the link and apparently you have to purchase the step sticks like on a Ramps. Something changed?

[www.amazon.com]

Now this is the type I am used to seeing - [www.amazon.com] So what in the world is this new beast in the first link?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 06:51AM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
April 11, 2016 07:42AM
that one in the amazon is sbase v1.2 but it hasn't had the fix applied the fix should have two crystal soldiered on (aint got board to hand bests going to makerbase technology on aliexpress as they have the fix and the seller is kinda helpful more likely language barrier but answered my question straight away, yes i agree it slows down printing maybe if i use it just to get my bed level 1st set up then i probably wont use it, but i maybe transporting the printer around so its there if i need to use it maybe a detachable probe so i only need to use it when i have to, probably latter come to think of it

up and running
April 11, 2016 08:50AM
chris33
that one in the amazon is sbase v1.2 but it hasn't had the fix applied the fix should have two crystal soldiered on (aint got board to hand bests going to makerbase technology on aliexpress as they have the fix and the seller is kinda helpful more likely language barrier but answered my question straight away, yes i agree it slows down printing maybe if i use it just to get my bed level 1st set up then i probably wont use it, but i maybe transporting the printer around so its there if i need to use it maybe a detachable probe so i only need to use it when i have to, probably latter come to think of it
I have never seen one like that no matter what version and reviewer said it *is* 1.3 but no matter I just have never seen any with a Ramps style setup for the stepper drivers only ones like Smoothie that is on the board.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
April 11, 2016 09:00AM
i understand they are a very confusing company lol theres a mks Base then theres a mks sbase 32bit controller lol

up and running
April 11, 2016 09:58AM
chris33
i understand they are a very confusing company lol theres a mks Base then theres a mks sbase 32bit controller lol
Oh, brother, lol. This I did not know and with the names so close it is, indeed, confusing. Well, knowing is half the battle...Go Joe! LOL

Thank you for clarifying that for me but I must say that by the time you add on the stepsticks you are but 2-5 dollars away from the much better one so seems a bit senseless to have them both. Oh, and this is the first time I spotted the non 32 bit version like that.

_______
April 11, 2016 10:54AM
dintid
tuxhead

Do you use v1.0 or v1.2? Do you use a thermocople?
Asking as they mention something regarding these configurations on their sales page: [www.aliexpress.com]

I have the latest one (v1.2) and I am using just the conventional thermistors (one on the hotend and the other is inbuilt to the heatbed). I actually tried reaching those guys via aliexpress regarding the configs, but no clear instruction received yet about the exact config. They just said to connect the LCD like the one in this pic (shared by MKS guys), but I have already done that in same way (match notches on the cable to the ports). I also had tried copying the config from example files found in the github (under MKS_SBASE.rar/config/):
----
# MKS 12864
panel.enable true # set to true to enable the panel code
panel.lcd reprap_discount_glcd #
panel.spi_channel 0 # spi channel to use ; GLCD EXP1 Pins 3,5 (MOSI, SCLK)
panel.spi_cs_pin 0.16 # spi chip select ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 4
panel.encoder_a_pin 3.25!^ # encoder pin ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 3
panel.encoder_b_pin 3.26!^ # encoder pin ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 5
panel.click_button_pin 1.30!^ # click button ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 2
panel.buzz_pin 1.31 # pin for buzzer ; GLCD EXP1 Pin 1
panel.back_button_pin 2.11!^ # back button ; GLCD EXP2 Pin 8 or
panel.external_sd true # set to true if there is an extrernal sdcard on the panel
panel.external_sd.spi_channel 1 # set spi channel the sdcard is on
panel.external_sd.spi_cs_pin 0.28 # set spi chip select for the sdcard (or any spare pin)
panel.external_sd.sdcd_pin 0.27!^ # sd detect signal (set to nc if no sdcard detect) (or any spare pin)
----

this does work either sad smiley.
Attachments:
open | download - mks-sbase-wiring.jpg (144.7 KB)
April 11, 2016 12:48PM
thee only thing i can think is the pin layout incorrect with the firmware so you prob have you cross reference that the pin is correct from the controller to lcd but im no expert yet lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 12:48PM by chris33.

up and running
April 11, 2016 01:31PM
panel.spi_channel 0 # spi channel to use ; GLCD EXP1 Pins 3,5 (MOSI, SCLK) i dont understand the pin on board pin 3 and 5 as it states on pinout on the board its p0.18 that corresponds mosi and p0.14 for sclk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 01:32PM by chris33.

up and running
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login