Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China

Posted by vreihen 
Re: New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China
April 11, 2016 01:44PM
just read on smoothie site i know its not a smoothieboard and people frown upon that they very similar obvioulsy it says that the smoothieboard may not get enough power to the glcd on theis link

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
April 14, 2016 06:29AM
Dear everybody,
This is Shelly from Maker Base(MKS),who will deal with MKS products problems here for you . If there are any inappropriate, please feel free to comment.(Or contact me by E-mail. shelly@makerbase.com.cn)

So many friends are easy to get confused on our MKS items.
Let me make a clear explanation here .
Firstly, MKS is our trademark so that our products name will come with MKS.
Our company specializes in design and manufactory on 3D controller boards and software field .
We have one Smoothieware compatible board which is MKS SBASE.

Others are 2560 & ramps integrated compatible boards.

1.MKS BASE V1.4
Good for dual-extruder printer.

2.MKS BASE2 V1.2
Good for metal machine frame printer with excellent anti-interference, with sd card slot.

3.MKS GEN V1.4
Full micro steps ,replace motor drive manually.

4.MKS MINI V1.2
For One-Extruder and no bed printing.

Our company has never opened PCB to anyone ,but there someone counterfeit our MKS items with bad quality, which makes customers suffer a loss. In order to protect your rights and interests, please purchase in our official website and authorized agent. Thanks.
Also, we have many hot sell items, such as MKS TFT touch screen, MKS TMC2100, anti-interference panel, etc.
Welcome to our official online store:
[www.aliexpress.com]
April 14, 2016 10:34AM
flyway97
Dear everybody,
This is Shelly from Maker Base(MKS),who will deal with MKS products problems here for you . If there are any inappropriate, please feel free to comment.(Or contact me by E-mail. shelly@makerbase.com.cn)

Our company specializes in design and manufactory on 3D controller boards and software field .

1.MKS BASE V1.4

2.MKS BASE2 V1.2
Good for metal machine frame printer with excellent anti-interference, with sd card slot.

3.MKS GEN V1.4

4.MKS MINI V1.2

Our company has never opened PCB to anyone ,but there someone counterfeit our MKS items with bad quality, which makes customers suffer a loss. In order to protect your rights and interests, please purchase in our official website and authorized agent. Thanks.
Also, we have many hot sell items, such as MKS TFT touch screen, MKS TMC2100, anti-interference panel, etc.
[www.aliexpress.com]

hi i was going through the github for the mks sbase v1.2v and you have the datasheet in english with only the setup options of the controller, but the Chinese version has more information in it about configuring delta is it possible to get that translated in english i have put a issue on github about it thanks

up and running
April 16, 2016 11:18AM
chris33
flyway97
Dear everybody,

1.MKS BASE V1.4

2.MKS BASE2 V1.2

3.MKS GEN V1.4

4.MKS MINI V1.2

[www.aliexpress.com]

hi i was going through the github for the mks sbase v1.2v and you have the datasheet in english with only the setup options of the controller, but the Chinese version has more information in it about configuring delta is it possible to get that translated in english i have put a issue on github about it thanks

I too would love it if the english datasheet was updated to include all the contents of the Chinese version. I'd like some documentation on the dipswitches that were added to the board at some point as well. Frankly, most of the pictures in the documentation are for an older version of the board. It would be nice to have some update pictures. How about that 5v/3.3v jumper in the bottom right corner? Doesn't exist in earlier versions of the board and isn't in any of the pictures (nor is it documented beyond the board schematics). The newest version of this board needs updated documentation.
April 16, 2016 11:39AM
Here is a picture of the latest version of the board. I ordered a couple of these to play with directly from Makerbase's Aliexpress store a couple weeks ago.
[drive.google.com]

April 17, 2016 12:15AM
Dark Alchemist
the_digital_dentist
I don't understand the question. Why would you sandwich it between two aluminum plates? You're only going to print on the top. Aside from increasing the mass, what would adding a plate to the underside do?
Makes it flat so all of the heating side touches all of the top plate.
Seriously, that is just so over "engineered".
I DO get the issue of the thin 2mm heaters being... flimsy with tendencies to warping/bending. Instead of making an overly complicated sandwich, I'd just take a 4mm machined aluminum plate, from somewhere like [www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk] and attach a silicone AC heater under it, using the included 3M 368MP tape.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
April 17, 2016 12:16AM
hodgeac
Here is a picture of the latest version of the board. I ordered a couple of these to play with directly from Makerbase's Aliexpress store a couple weeks ago.
[drive.google.com]

I just got 2 the other week, and is working on setting up the first one. Am working on an Instructables step-by-step for this board and smoothieware basics for it as well. (and a single temperature switch to turn on hotend fan).

Just hate it doesn't support PT100 sad smiley

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
April 17, 2016 12:19AM
hodgeac
chris33
flyway97
Dear everybody,

1.MKS BASE V1.4

2.MKS BASE2 V1.2

3.MKS GEN V1.4

4.MKS MINI V1.2

[www.aliexpress.com]

I too would love it if the english datasheet was updated to include all the contents of the Chinese version. I'd like some documentation on the dipswitches that were added to the board at some point as well. Frankly, most of the pictures in the documentation are for an older version of the board. It would be nice to have some update pictures. How about that 5v/3.3v jumper in the bottom right corner? Doesn't exist in earlier versions of the board and isn't in any of the pictures (nor is it documented beyond the board schematics). The newest version of this board needs updated documentation.
The 5v/3.3 jumper is for voltage settings for endstops. I only use simple limit-switches, so it doesn't matter in my case.

April 17, 2016 12:27AM
dintid
Dark Alchemist
the_digital_dentist
I don't understand the question. Why would you sandwich it between two aluminum plates? You're only going to print on the top. Aside from increasing the mass, what would adding a plate to the underside do?
Makes it flat so all of the heating side touches all of the top plate.
Seriously, that is just so over "engineered".
I DO get the issue of the thin 2mm heaters being... flimsy with tendencies to warping/bending. Instead of making an overly complicated sandwich, I'd just take a 4mm machined aluminum plate, from somewhere like [www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk] and attach a silicone AC heater under it, using the included 3M 368MP tape.
I have a shop in Nashville I sent a picture to (they don't do cad drawings at all) who has several shops around the country that sell Mic-6. I just want them to drill, and countersink, the holes as shown in the picture I have attached. Now my one fear is that 1/4in will be too blasted heavy for an I3 to move around and stop so any speed is dead. 1/4in in the dimensions shown will probably weigh about 3-5 pounds but would be very flat. Add the boro glass and the silicon heater and it will weigh in around 7-8 pounds I think.

Oh, I have tried frames, beds, you name it and USPS and UPS always bends whatever it is. If it isn't bent in shipping it will be bent upon delivery (already had 2 broken mailboxes within a year because the USPS driver didn't want to walk 25 feet on a nice day so they stuff my box and break it).

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Attachments:
open | download - ToolingPlate.jpg (133.8 KB)
April 17, 2016 01:20AM
Dark Alchemist
....1/4in in the dimensions shown will probably weigh about 3-5 pounds but would be very flat. Add the boro glass and the silicon heater and it will weigh in around 7-8 pounds I think.

Oh, I have tried frames, beds, you name it and USPS and UPS always bends whatever it is. If it isn't bent in shipping it will be bent upon delivery (already had 2 broken mailboxes within a year because the USPS driver didn't want to walk 25 feet on a nice day so they stuff my box and break it).
Well, you DO have 2 motors to lift it, and not like Z needs to be super fast. At least your bed doesn't need to go to MAX before going to 0 like Ultimaker 2 style printers.

Seems you need to get a pair of new motors/Drivers if it's too heavy, and you have solved it.

When I order something like that and am not home to recieve it, I choose to have it delivered to parcel-box. Any parcel need a signature here in Denmark, as they are always insured, so postworkers never put them in mailboxes.

... that said, the topic seems to be WAY off from the the purpose of this tread, so maybe we should take this particular discussion somewhere else, and leave this thread for the Sbase board? smiling smiley

April 17, 2016 01:39AM
dintid
Dark Alchemist
....1/4in in the dimensions shown will probably weigh about 3-5 pounds but would be very flat. Add the boro glass and the silicon heater and it will weigh in around 7-8 pounds I think.

Well, you DO have 2 motors to lift it, and not like Z needs to be super fast. At least your bed doesn't need to go to MAX before going to 0 like Ultimaker 2 style printers.

Seems you need to get a pair of new motors/Drivers if it's too heavy, and you have solved it.

When I order something like that and am not home to recieve it, I choose to have it delivered to parcel-box. Any parcel need a signature here in Denmark, as they are always insured, so postworkers never put them in mailboxes.

... that said, the topic seems to be WAY off from the the purpose of this tread, so maybe we should take this particular discussion somewhere else, and leave this thread for the Sbase board? smiling smiley
Ahem, NO this is an I3 and this is the heated bed so 1 motor in the Y direction. It isn't going to happen with that amount of weight.

Yep, I was a bit shocked at the pick up of the convo so if you want we can continue this on another thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2016 01:41AM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
April 17, 2016 02:04AM
dintid
hodgeac
[drive.google.com]

I just got 2 the other week, and is working on setting up the first one. Am working on an Instructables step-by-step for this board and smoothieware basics for it as well. (and a single temperature switch to turn on hotend fan).

I'm actually going to use one for my laser cutter and one for my cnc. My Mendel90 is still a work in progress, I have an Ultimaker 1.57 I plan on using with it at the moment. Though if I end up really liking smoothie, I might get a proper smoothieboard for it.
April 17, 2016 07:31AM
hodgeac
dintid
hodgeac
[drive.google.com]

I'm actually going to use one for my laser cutter and one for my cnc. My Mendel90 is still a work in progress, I have an Ultimaker 1.57 I plan on using with it at the moment. Though if I end up really liking smoothie, I might get a proper smoothieboard for it.
I'm actually been waiting for Smoothieboard v2 for ages, but since there's no date or Price, or even anything on wheter they support PT100 sensors, I thought I'd try the Sbase. Seems like a solid board itself and I'll get to try out Smoothieware smiling smiley Almost done wiring up an um2 clone.

April 17, 2016 10:05AM
This might be a silly question but... i keep seeing the board refered to as CLOSED SOURCE
they post all thier schematics and board layers etc here
[github.com]
and have so since version 1.0 an they keep it up to date.
can someone explain???
I'm not trying to cause issues, i just want to understand.
April 17, 2016 11:07AM
innkeeper
This might be a silly question but... i keep seeing the board refered to as CLOSED SOURCE
[github.com]
can someone explain???

I hope you get a nice answer, chances are we'll just get a few pages of Dark Alchemist arguing with some people about the definition of the word "source". Or some other silly crap.
April 17, 2016 12:30PM
hodgeac
innkeeper
[github.com]
can someone explain???

I hope you get a nice answer, chances are we'll just get a few pages of Dark Alchemist arguing with some people about the definition of the word "source". Or some other silly crap.
Don't look to me to define what is and isn't open or closed source as I don't actually give an eff as long as it works.

I am no champion of the open source community but if you actually scroll back you will see why it isn't classified as open source by people who do. Now go pound sand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2016 12:31PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
April 17, 2016 03:31PM
dintid
I'm actually been waiting for Smoothieboard v2 for ages, but since there's no date or Price,

It's a huge project ( we are not just taking somebody else's design and firmware and selling it, we actually have to do a lot of work, with the community ), and it is making progress. I hope to have some good news soon.
As for price, we aim at trying to keep the v2 at about the same price as v1 ( maybe a tad more ). But you get much more.

dintid
or even anything on wheter they support PT100 sensors,

We sent a free board to somebody that offered to implement that in firmware, I expect it'll be coming soon.

innkeeper
can someone explain???

It's very simple. Whether or not something is Open-Source is determined by the license under which the author allows you to use the design ( the author owns the copyright, so he can determine what you have the right to do, and what you are forbidden from doing, with his intellectual property : that's the license ).
That license is Open-Source, or it is not. Common Open-Source license examples : CC-BY-SA, GBL, MIT, CERN OHL ... Those are the licenses of things like Arduino, Wikipedia, Linux etc ...
A license is a valid Open-Source Hardware license if it matches this definition : [www.oshwa.org]
It's pretty simple really, hope I explained well.

The MKS board is not Open-Source ( even it's creators agree on this ) because it's not released under an Open-Source license.
April 18, 2016 03:42AM
arthurwolf
dintid
I'm actually been waiting for Smoothieboard v2 for ages, but since there's no date or Price,

It's a huge project ( we are not just taking somebody else's design and firmware and selling it, we actually have to do a lot of work, with the community ), and it is making progress. I hope to have some good news soon.
As for price, we aim at trying to keep the v2 at about the same price as v1 ( maybe a tad more ). But you get much more.
Yea, I know how it Works. I know quite a good deal of people who start out using Smoothieware by buying one of these relatively cheap Chinese boards and then upgrade to a real Smoothieboard later on, so I do not really believe the Smoothieware project (or the economical side of it) is loosing on this. The people who do not upgrade to real boards propably would not buy one in any case, so no loss here.
Same as the music industry whining about downloads for 20 years, when it turned out people actually bought more after they got to listen to some of it first smiling smiley

My main gripe with the Chinese way of doing Things is not really the copying, as I firmly believe it comes back tenfolds to the quality board after a while, but it is how Chinese firms copy and then make their own stuff Closed-source to avoid copying.. that's just so bad.

arthurwolf
dintid
or even anything on wheter they support PT100 sensors,

We sent a free board to somebody that offered to implement that in firmware, I expect it'll be coming soon.
Awesome! Looking forward to it. The Chinese Company suggested hooking the amplifier board up to the AUX-1 pins and set it up from there, but I'm far from qualified for this.

April 18, 2016 03:46AM
@arthurwolf
Is the Smoothieboard 2going to have naitive support for Thermocouplers and/or PT100?
Can the current Smoothieboard handle Thermocouplers without an external amplifier?

Am a bit confused about this, as your documenation states we need an amplifier, but the chinese says I do not need one for their Sbase 1.2 board (and since they are copying yours I'm getting confused)

Note: My question is not about how Thermocouplers or PT100 sensors, nor their respecive amplifiers Works, but wheter or not the Controller boards have build in amplifiers or not (need to state this based on previous experiences)

April 18, 2016 04:08AM
dintid
@arthurwolf
Is the Smoothieboard 2going to have naitive support for Thermocouplers and/or PT100?
Can the current Smoothieboard handle Thermocouplers without an external amplifier?

Smoothieboard v1 does not have amplifiers on-board, and v2 will not either.
However, v2 will have an extension board system that will make it very easy to add things like that, with a standard connector and a rich set of extension boards.
April 18, 2016 04:23AM
arthurwolf
dintid
@arthurwolf

Smoothieboard v1 does not have amplifiers on-board, and v2 will not either.
However, v2 will have an extension board system that will make it very easy to add things like that, with a standard connector and a rich set of extension boards.
Awesome, thanks.
I'm a good example of my own reasoning about buying cheap chinese to try out before upgrade... I must admit I've been a bit wavering about buying a Smoothieboard.. it isn't exactly cheap, and it's really hard to get an idea of the capabilities of the boards and Smoothieware itself, when you are and always have been using Marlin...

.. esepcially since most of the information is targeted people allready very good at the electrical and coding side of stuff... I have been unable to find a single good beginners guide to either the boards or setting it up!! I have found some target to Experts, like your own smoothieware site, but not anything for normal people just wanting something else than arduino+ramps for their 3D printer, when the old controller dies.

... that said, after just 1 week of smoothieware, and not really started printing yet, I have seen some really nice functions/usage prospects, like the switches you can setup, which greatly increase the chance of me buying the real deal smiling smiley

April 18, 2016 04:28AM
dintid
@arthurwolf

Am a bit confused about this, as your documenation states we need an amplifier, but the chinese says I do not need one for their Sbase 1.2 board (and since they are copying yours I'm getting confused)

Note: My question is not about how Thermocouplers or PT100 sensors, nor their respecive amplifiers Works, but wheter or not the Controller boards have build in amplifiers or not (need to state this based on previous experiences)

It's clear from the schematic for SBASE 1.2 that it does not have onboard support for thermocouples. I've learnt to always take the Chinese statements as "25% true", together with translation issues (thermistor vs thermocouple), they are always eager to make a sale, and are more inclined to say "sure, we can do that!" rather than "don't know".

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
April 18, 2016 05:56AM
bobc
dintid
@arthurwolf

It's clear from the schematic for SBASE 1.2 that it does not have onboard support for thermocouples. I've learnt to always take the Chinese statements as "25% true", together with translation issues (thermistor vs thermocouple), they are always eager to make a sale, and are more inclined to say "sure, we can do that!" rather than "don't know".
Which schematic do you use? I'm not "not" believing you, just looking for confirmation. Much of their info is still NOT for the 1.2 but for the old one, which does not support Thermocoupler.
Especially since they write the pins for Thermocoupler is a NEW feature of 1.2 - see attached image.

He even told me it was build in and I did not need an extra amplifier, when I wrote to him. He actually initially said I needed an amplifier (and pointed to the right one for smoothieware), but then retracted and said 1.2 did not need it.
Try looking at the attached image in the upper right corner, where they write Thermocoupler as well.

Edited to insert images in post
Edited: had placed images/texts in a confusing way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2016 06:01AM by dintid.

Attachments:
open | download - overview.jpg (157 KB)
open | download - nr2.jpg (114.6 KB)
April 18, 2016 09:01AM
yes i believe you can but you will have to probably purchase this and wire it to the pins thermocouple-module

up and running
April 18, 2016 02:14PM
Chris has it, there is an external module which plugs in.

Schematic is here [github.com]

Page 14 shows connector J7, labelled THC. There are 3 signal pins, they go straight to the CPU. There is no amplifier anywhere on the schematic.
The pins on the external module are labelled the same as J7.

Now, you can believe the Chinese guy, but the evidence is enough for me... you will need to buy the module, unless it is included?

The next thing he hasn't told you is that to get thermocouple support in the firmware you may need to write it yourself... maybe Arthur can say if there is already support for MAX31855K .

What is Open Source?
Re: New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from Chin
April 18, 2016 04:19PM
bobc

Page 14 shows connector J7, labelled THC. There are 3 signal pins, they go straight to the CPU. There is no amplifier anywhere on the schematic.

Now, you can believe the Chinese guy, but the evidence is enough for me... you will need to buy the module, unless it is included?

The next thing he hasn't told you is that to get thermocouple support in the firmware you may need to write it yourself... maybe Arthur can say if there is already support for MAX31855K .
Are you 100 sure you are looking at 1.2 schmetaics? The github one is for their old boards which does not support thermocouplers Off the bat
Edit: I see the file is named 12 but that in itself is not proof about board revision.

I just came from smoothieware site where support for thermocoupler is in there. Just not that padticular amplifier, but if I were to get an amplifier, Id fer a compatible one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2016 04:29PM by dintid.

April 18, 2016 04:28PM
bobc

Just wanted to mention I appreciate your insight although it is at odds with their specs.

Anyway. I talked to them today and they are going to e-mail instructions. Going to be interesting to see what they say!

About buying amplifier... I'm really just mindnumbed that smoothieware doesnt support my pt100 sensors. Assumed it did, since Marlin does, so just glad I minimized expenses by getting Sbase to test on first. Not like a 3-7 dollar board is going to break the printing bank in any case

Re: New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from Chin
April 18, 2016 06:59PM
On the github, there is V11 and V12... I am assuming that is v1.2. On the Makerbase website, they seem to have a photo of a v1.0 board.

Either they gave you duff info, or they posted an incorrect schematic. They also post wrong photos... you still trusting these guys?

Quite possibly there are counterfeit MKS products as well, the person from "MKS" is quite right, the clone each other's products, as well as western stuff. Given the sea of misinformation you get from China, really they only way is to believe what you have in your hands.

I ordered an "MKS SBASE 1.2" from Aliexpress a while back, from what I *think* is the official Makerbase store, so I'll find out when/if it arrives.

The thermocouple modules are not expensive, I would have ordered a pair if I'd realised. I must admit I have rarely heard of people using PT100 on printers, less common than thermocouples, which only seemed to be popular with Makerbot.

What is Open Source?
April 19, 2016 05:21AM
MakerBase Technology Co., Ltd. is the correct aliexpress store and above link to the module they sell i messaged the seller and he said yes you can use that module with the mks sbase v1.2

up and running
April 19, 2016 05:26AM
chris33
MakerBase Technology Co., Ltd. is the correct aliexpress store and above link to the module they sell i messaged the seller and he said yes you can use that module with the mks sbase v1.2
The question is really more a:
How to wire it explained for normal people.
How to setup firmware for normal people.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login