Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China

Posted by vreihen 
Re: New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China
May 03, 2016 08:19AM
Alexus12
..Try to set uart0.baud_rate 250000 in your config file, and change it in the Pronterface.
Can you move axes using display?
change it to 250000 in config and Pronterface
No changes
Imposible to move axes

On Pronterface i have "Motors off" on the screen.

I try it to use the network using network.ip_address on config, \\192.168.1.200, and on my network imposible to find this ip

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 08:25AM by tomi01_2000.
May 04, 2016 04:02AM
it is clear for me, i don't have the good settings on my firmware ...
i have to study very well all the functions / syntax / language - for a well configuration on config.txt

i saw on config.txt

1 # Stepper module configuration
microseconds_per_step_pulse 1 # Duration of step pulses to stepper drivers, in microseconds
base_stepping_frequency 100000 # Base frequency for stepping, higher gives smoother movement

# Cartesian axis speed limits
x_axis_max_speed 10000 # mm/min
y_axis_max_speed 10000 # mm/min
z_axis_max_speed 200 # mm/min

what i marked in red, it's not ok, in my opinion

2. # Stepper module pins ( ports, and pin numbers, appending "!" to the number will invert a pin )
alpha_step_pin 2.0 # Pin for alpha stepper step signal
alpha_dir_pin 0.5! # Pin for alpha stepper direction
alpha_en_pin 0.4 # Pin for alpha enable pin
alpha_current 1.2 # X stepper motor current
alpha_max_rate 10000.0 # mm/min

green - why i have difference ..? no proportions!!
red - 10.000 mm/min max? what it is the maximum power if i have maximum 24 volts? it is a printer 3d, not a drone
May 04, 2016 11:49AM
on linux mint.... nothing's change

May 04, 2016 02:14PM
Have you tried getting a proper smoothie firmware config and compared it and using the pin layout configure the sbase firmware as i have notice a few mess ups in the firmware regarding pins so Im going to wing it and go through it and go from there

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
VDX
May 04, 2016 04:09PM
... your screenshots shows, that it's not connected - can you connect?

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 04, 2016 10:42PM
VDX
... your screenshots shows, that it's not connected - can you connect?
No, he can't. And he tries to solve this problem. But I think that his mainboard is damaged, unfortunately.
May 04, 2016 11:14PM
tomi01_2000
on linux mint.... nothing's change

What if you enable the networking in the config file, and attempt to connect to the web server on the board?
May 04, 2016 11:19PM
Theres 3 versions of sbase v1.1 and v1.2 and v1.2 with fixes, if he has the v1.2 without the fix then thats his issue

up and running
May 05, 2016 01:07AM
chris33
Theres 3 versions of sbase v1.1 and v1.2 and v1.2 with fixes, if he has the v1.2 without the fix then thats his issue

@tomi01_2000 if you can post a photo of the part of the board that surrounds the ethernet connector then it's simple enough to identify.

Also - who did you buy it from off aliexpress / elsewhere?
May 05, 2016 02:07AM
zylantha
Also - who did you buy it from off aliexpress / elsewhere?
Official AliExpress store - [www.aliexpress.com]
May 05, 2016 02:36AM
It should be v1.2 fixed then ..

So please try connecting to it over ethernet.
May 05, 2016 03:36AM
testing network

i try on config.txt:
return_error_on_unhandled_gcode false #

# network settings
network.enable true # enable the ethernet network services
network.webserver.enable true # enable the webserver
network.telnet.enable true # enable the telnet server
#network.ip_address auto # use dhcp to get ip address
# uncomment the 3 below to manually setup ip address
network.ip_address 192.168.1.200 # the IP address
network.ip_mask 255.255.255.0 # the ip mask
network.ip_gateway 192.168.1.1 # the gateway address
#network.mac_override xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx # override the mac address, only do this if you have a conflict

testing network

motherboard - 50,07 EUR on ebay , 07 oct. 2015 ... this is the seller [www.ebay.fr]

photo of my motherboard

May 05, 2016 05:05AM
That's the v1.2 without fixes, mine has two watch crystal oscillators soldered on to replace ceramic resonators. I got mine from the official Aliexpress store.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
May 05, 2016 06:15AM
flyway97
arthurwolf
rocketwiz
Also what's with the heatsinks on the 8825's? Shouldn't they be on the (possibly too small) solder vias on the other side?

Yes, putting the heatsinks on the top is definitely very bad design, from somebody with no experience in this, who has not even cared to read the datasheet for the drivers ( or understands how they work ). This is the same attitude that caused the temperature problem.

arthurwolf : you are right,the heatsinks on the bottom of 8825 is better. But when the chip's temperature too high(up 70), the temperatue on the two side almost the same. Because on the bottom is harmful to Installation board , a big heatsinks on the top is useful.

Before we do this, we have read datasheet and get suggest from TI's engineer(we use drv8825 more than 10k/month not only on 3d board). We have tested, when use the heatsinks the temperature can low almost 5-8 degree than not use it on the same condition. If use fan can get better effect.

In fact we have careful deal with heat dissipation problem. on the pcb design the surface layer and the middle layer of the copper(GND),The area of the copper(GND) is as large as the plate.

Would it be safe to put some small heatsink on the back of the drivers? Kind of like the small ones on pololu drivers, or would it short out something?

Edited to get the image in place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 06:16AM by dintid.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
May 05, 2016 06:30AM
dintid

Would it be safe to put some small heatsink on the back of the drivers? Kind of like the small ones on pololu drivers, or would it short out something?

I think you can, just use some thermal conductive pads so it wont short.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 06:31AM by PartTimeRonin.
May 05, 2016 08:32AM
PartTimeRonin
dintid

I think you can, just use some thermal conductive pads so it wont short.
I don't really have any such. I have some 3M 486MP tape and a bunch of the small heatsinks... I really don't think there is anything to short, but just wanted to hear it from someone who actually knows it for sure smiling smiley

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
May 05, 2016 10:13AM
Be careful, if I recall the vias under the drivers are "untented" meaning there isn't any solder mask insulating them. If those vias are part of the supply domain and your heat sinks make contact with them they could end up being live and potentially short to a grounded chassis, etc.

Odds are they are ground vias, but I'd measure to be sure.
May 05, 2016 11:05AM
why not use fans to cool it better i was just going use a fan as i would any other board, have u got a probe set up and if yes what your using dintid

up and running
May 05, 2016 10:34PM
I had been considering a real smoothieboard, but got sucked into this thread with the MKS promise and now I'm questioning if I even want to go to ANY board that uses smoothieware firmware after seeing the attitude of the devs. The only potential show stopper I have past being worried about being bullied by the dev is can end stop switches be disabled after homing? I use a 1/4" MIC-6 aluminum plate for my bed on my i3 and a prox sensor for my z stop. I have a G92 built into my post to go at the beginning of my g-code so I can set the prox sensor so the nozzle is 1.5-2mm off the print surface and then adjust my z level with software if it drifts over months time or if different filaments like different 1st layer heights. This works perfect in marlin, but I couldnt find anyone else doing it like this online so I figure its not a common way to do it and might not be supported universally, especially if something common sense like software end stops arent.
May 05, 2016 11:21PM
Leafy1
I had been considering a real smoothieboard, but got sucked into this thread with the MKS promise and now I'm questioning if I even want to go to ANY board that uses smoothieware firmware after seeing the attitude of the devs. The only potential show stopper I have past being worried about being bullied by the dev is can end stop switches be disabled after homing? I use a 1/4" MIC-6 aluminum plate for my bed on my i3 and a prox sensor for my z stop. I have a G92 built into my post to go at the beginning of my g-code so I can set the prox sensor so the nozzle is 1.5-2mm off the print surface and then adjust my z level with software if it drifts over months time or if different filaments like different 1st layer heights. This works perfect in marlin, but I couldnt find anyone else doing it like this online so I figure its not a common way to do it and might not be supported universally, especially if something common sense like software end stops arent.
Bullied by which devs?

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
May 06, 2016 03:34AM
Leafy1
I had been considering a real smoothieboard, but got sucked into this thread with the MKS promise and now I'm questioning if I even want to go to ANY board that uses smoothieware firmware after seeing the attitude of the devs. .

What are you talking about ?

Soft endstops are pretty much the only major feature Smoothieware is still missing. It's a planned feature, and the reason why we don't have it yet, is because it is not simple to implement *correctly*, and we do not implement things unless we implement them correctly.
Some folks have already taken a crack at it, and we'll eventually get to have it working, we just are not there yet.

I have no idea what you mean about bullying ...
May 06, 2016 05:01AM
Leafy1

Would you be more interested in the MKS SBASE if you could run Marlin on it?

I am currently working on porting Marlin to Duet, I am also looking at porting Marlin to boards like MKS SBASE.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
May 06, 2016 11:14AM
Probably. I know how marlin works it's safe, well documented and easy to work with. But being able to reconfigure without having to recompile with a text document on smoothie sure is appealing. Having two or more firmware options for the board and knowing one has the features I want makes it much more appealing. I'm not afraid to dick around and learn new things if they're better, if I wanted something that just worked I'd buy something closed source, pre built, and expensive. I just want to make sure when going into something that it does what I want the way I want it, which is what's holding me up from switching to s3d, I've got no problem dropping 150 bucks on a slicer but I want to test drive it first.
May 06, 2016 04:54PM
Leafy1
Probably. I know how marlin works it's safe, well documented and easy to work with. But being able to reconfigure without having to recompile with a text document on smoothie sure is appealing. Having two or more firmware options for the board and knowing one has the features I want makes it much more appealing. I'm not afraid to dick around and learn new things if they're better, if I wanted something that just worked I'd buy something closed source, pre built, and expensive. I just want to make sure when going into something that it does what I want the way I want it, which is what's holding me up from switching to s3d, I've got no problem dropping 150 bucks on a slicer but I want to test drive it first.
I hear ya as I purchased a machine using the Mightyboard and Sailfish 7.8 and hate the damn thing. I mean I am so detached I can't do any of the stuff I could do within Marlin.

S3D does have a trial now but it is a pay now and if you don't like it (I believe within 2 weeks) a full refund is issued.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
May 07, 2016 10:16AM
Leafy1
I just want to make sure when going into something that it does what I want the way I want it, which is what's holding me up from switching to s3d, I've got no problem dropping 150 bucks on a slicer but I want to test drive it first.

S3D has some serious bugs at the moment that mean it's practically unusable on the MKS SBASE, at least for me.

The biggest issue is that it will not reduce the first layer print speed - and printing that first layer at full speed results in complete failure to adhere to the print bed in my case. This seems to be a fairly big bug, but no word on any acknowledgment / fix, like most things S3D...

First layer print quality is also terrible due to the way it handles first layer extrude width, which seems to make no sense and isn't very useful.

There are also known S3D compatibility issues with Smoothieware - causing crashes in Smoothieware due to nonsensical GCODE (very very small movements on particular models with high levels of detail).

All these are discussed at length on their community board.

I've reverted back to Cura 15.04 until S3D bugs are fixed - I am not holding my breath.
May 07, 2016 10:41AM
That's strange, I just printed this 180mm multirotor frame last night that I sliced with S3D. This was printed with MakerGeeks PETG filament on my scratch built OrdBot Hadron and is notoriously difficult to keep the arms from lifting off the glass. I used a 200% first layer width and 5 parameters, and I'd say S3D did a fantastic job with the first layer.

Mind you I'm using a Duet/RepRapFirmware instead of SBase/Smoothieware, but I never had issues with S3D and Smoothie either.

May 07, 2016 01:08PM
I use S3D all the time and it works well for me (but I'm not using Smoothieware). On one of my printers I print PLA direct on glass, which requires a slow first layer speed. I have S3D configured for 30% first layer speed, and it gives me exactly that. So if there is a bug in setting first layer speed, I haven't hit it.

My main gripes with S3D are:

- No "small perimeters" speed modifier. Slic3r has this, and I have found it very useful to help the first layer to stick.

- No "Use firmware retraction" option. This is an issue when using the Diamond hot end, because you need to retract all 3 filaments by the same amount regardless of what mixing ratio you are using.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 08, 2016 02:46AM
w3drk
Be careful, if I recall the vias under the drivers are "untented" meaning there isn't any solder mask insulating them. If those vias are part of the supply domain and your heat sinks make contact with them they could end up being live and potentially short to a grounded chassis, etc.

Odds are they are ground vias, but I'd measure to be sure.
Can you explain to me how to measure to be sure? I do have a nice multimeter and know how to use it. I just don't know how to test for what you said smiling smiley

May 08, 2016 02:56AM
arthurwolf
Leafy1
I had been considering a real smoothieboard, but got sucked into this thread with the MKS promise and now I'm questioning if I even want to go to ANY board that uses smoothieware firmware after seeing the attitude of the devs. .

What are you talking about ?

Soft endstops are pretty much the only major feature Smoothieware is still missing. It's a planned feature, and the reason why we don't have it yet, is because it is not simple to implement *correctly*, and we do not implement things unless we implement them correctly.
Some folks have already taken a crack at it, and we'll eventually get to have it working, we just are not there yet.

I have no idea what you mean about bullying ...
I'll say Smoothieware has great potential. I really love the object-oritented approach.
Temperature switches are set to be fixed and soft endstop are planned, so they'll be in eventually I hope smiling smiley

I Wonder about some other critical points though. Maybe they are in, but not documtend, or I might just have missed it, although I have read the entire smoothieware.org site and googled:
  • Cold extrusion prevention? this would be nice
  • What does "hysteresis " actually mean in regards to heat control? It's set to 2.0 in degrees as default, but what does that really mean?
  • No support for PT100 sensors which is commonly used by both Ultimaker and E3D, making the transition to Smoothieware very expensive.
  • What sort of overheating protections are in, and what happens when they kick in? I noticed my temperature controlled fan on heatsink for hotend stopped after heat-failure... that is not really desireable. I know Marlin had the same problem with the entire system going into Halt when a failure happened, but stopping fans is hardly the best way! winking smiley
  • Some explanations in normal non-technical language. See the above about Hysteresis smiling smiley I know this can be hard for very techincal minded people to wrap their head around, but if Smoothieware is have a shot at overtaking marlin, it needs to be more easily accessible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2016 03:02AM by dintid.

May 08, 2016 02:58AM
chris33
why not use fans to cool it better i was just going use a fan as i would any other board, have u got a probe set up and if yes what your using dintid
Using heatsinks in conjunction with fans I get much better cooling at a potentially lower noise ration smiling smiley I do have a lot of small heatsinks (as mentioned), so might as well use them smiling smiley
Just using airflow over flat points isn't going to cool a lot, but better than nothing for sure, and I AM going to put a fan in there.
edit: I don't have a probe on my board, but I have experienced overheating of drivers even though I run them at current 0.5-0.6 with extruder at 0.9. I did have issues with the big heatsink as it fell off the board when unpacking but cleaned up the surface of the drivers and attached it using 3M 386MP tape.. might need some other form of attachment it seems. Heatsink did seem pretty hot though, so it does make contact and stick firmly to the drivers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2016 03:01AM by dintid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login