Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China

Posted by vreihen 
Re: New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China
June 08, 2016 05:44PM
June 10, 2016 04:18PM
I got my board yesterday. It was advertised on ebay as V1.2 (and still is: [www.ebay.com]), but was actually a V1.3 board. I haven't yet hooked it up to my printer, but did connect it over USB, plugged a thermistor in and checked I got some sort of reading from it. Some problems getting the drivers to install on Windows 7 - it now seems to work but displays an error on first connecting.

See my blog at [moosteria.blogspot.com].
June 10, 2016 11:24PM
animoose
I got my board yesterday. It was advertised on ebay as V1.2 (and still is: [www.ebay.com]), but was actually a V1.3 board. I haven't yet hooked it up to my printer, but did connect it over USB, plugged a thermistor in and checked I got some sort of reading from it. Some problems getting the drivers to install on Windows 7 - it now seems to work but displays an error on first connecting.
First off, you did not buy from the manufacturer and I have seen 1.3 posted on models (fake) for a long time, so don't be too excited yet! You have a photo?

However you must install both drivers AND firmware on an SD/the controller, before you can get any readings.

Ive made an instructables Configuring MKS Sbase v1.2 32-bit Controller basics and intro to you might find usefull.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2016 11:25PM by dintid.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
June 10, 2016 11:58PM
Created a new instructables on how to add an extra fan or use fan with different voltage using PWM pin on the Sbase and configuring Smoothieware.

Sbase/Smoothieware - Use a Free PWM Pin and Power Expander or SSR to Control Fans.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
June 11, 2016 12:08AM
dintid
animoose
First off, you did not buy from the manufacturer and I have seen 1.3 posted on models (fake) for a long time, so don't be too excited yet! You have a photo?

However you must install both drivers AND firmware on an SD/the controller, before you can get any readings.

Ive made an instructables Configuring MKS Sbase v1.2 32-bit Controller basics and intro to you might find usefull.

The board has the 25MHz crystal for the ethernet, and the heatsinks with screws through the board, so it may be genuine. I'll post a picture if I get a chance.

June 11, 2016 12:19AM
Pictures of the board: top (https://goo.gl/photos/cwp5cbQVYuzV5qPP6), bottom (https://goo.gl/photos/7AYwKY798TJgjfFj6) and an attempt to show the crystal (https://goo.gl/photos/zomHV8Kqseb24gBy6). Sorry for the poor quality pictures.

June 11, 2016 12:22AM
animoose
Pictures of the board: top (https://goo.gl/photos/cwp5cbQVYuzV5qPP6), bottom (https://goo.gl/photos/7AYwKY798TJgjfFj6) and an attempt to show the crystal (https://goo.gl/photos/zomHV8Kqseb24gBy6). Sorry for the poor quality pictures.
You can insert them into the posts to make it easier for people smiling smiley
I can not judge wheter they are geunuine or not. I'll recommend buying from manufacturer though smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2016 12:22AM by dintid.

June 12, 2016 08:48PM
A few updates. I checked with the manufacturer and they say this looks like a genuine board. The problem I have is that it will connect but does not stay connected. If I connect using Repetier Host, after a few minutes (2-5) I get "communication timeout reset send buffer block". If I connect using a serial terminal (PuTTy) and occasionally send a ls or help command, it stops responding. When the communication fails, the D2 and D3 lights either are both on solid or both off solid.

I've tried this now in multiple configurations and some work, some don't. I don't want to connect it to my printer yet, so the test set up is a free standing board with two thermistors attached, powered over USB only. By connecting thermistors I can watch the temperature graph in Repetier Host as a way of checking it is connected,

- HP laptop running ubuntu: worked reliably until I manually disconnected it after about an hour.
- Dell desktop running Windows 7: pop-up error ("USB Device Not Recognised") on connecting, but then connects OK until it fails as described above.
- A different Dell desktop running Windows 7: failed in the same way.
- This desktop running Windows 10: no error on connecting, but same communication failure.
- This desktop running Ubuntu: worked reliably until I manually disconnected it after about 30 minutes.

I'll keep hacking around. Could a low quality SD card cause this due to some kind of timing issue? I've now tried two different SD cards, but have no idea whether either of them are any good.

Update: it seems like I do get the communication problem on last combination (Dell desktop + Ubuntu). It just takes a lot longer before it happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 10:18PM by animoose.

June 17, 2016 06:36PM
hi everybody

i buy a MKS BASE and a TFT28 screen from china.
did you have a pb with the screen?
i didn't work for me, I have a problem with the display of icons as you can see on the picture.
I tested all firmwares in GitHub and it's the same problem.
The text is good and the first image too.

thanks for you answers
jm

June 18, 2016 12:43AM
jmn47
hi everybody

i buy a MKS BASE and a TFT28 screen from china.
did you have a pb with the screen?
i didn't work for me, I have a problem with the display of icons as you can see on the picture.
I tested all firmwares in GitHub and it's the same problem.
The text is good and the first image too.

thanks for you answers
jm
What is a pb?
How do you power it? If you connect to Ramps and standard Arduino Mega, you MUST give it 12v and set the jumper on the rear of the TFT28 to 12v.

I would talk to the seller. I hope you bought from Makerbase, as there are counterfeits out there.

June 18, 2016 04:41AM
hello Dintid

i'm connected with a MKS SBASE. it's not a power supply problem.
It's a display problem...
THE first startup of the screen, I have no problem. the icons are in Chinese.
After updating the firmware in the SD card, only display the icons will not work while the text is good.
I can navigate the menu, even with fuzzy icons

VDX
June 18, 2016 09:46AM
... could be an issue with image size or colour format, if imported as hex-file.

To get an image displayed correct, you have to convert it into the right XY size and then convert it into a hex-grid with the R/G/B-values as triple set per pixel.

So you'll get a Y-count number of lines with X*3 Hex-numbers per line (3 hex-numbers per Pixel) ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 18, 2016 10:31AM
hello

the pic is .bin files, it's the files from github
i can't modifie it.
i've access to the mks_config.txt file.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2016 10:32AM by jmn47.
June 22, 2016 11:54PM
Dear friend,
Please copy firmware to the root of SD via PC .
June 22, 2016 11:54PM
the logo looks great
June 22, 2016 11:59PM
hello friend,
we have released MKS TFT V1.1.4,please visit our github to download and updated.
[github.com]
June 23, 2016 12:11AM
yes,friend,
there has image size or colour format.
Icons image size, 16bpp, wide =78 pixels, high =104 pixels.
Logo image size, 16bpp, wide =320 pixels, high =240 pixels.

check attached will find more info.
Attachments:
open | download - Hexadecimal value for the Common Colors.pdf (258.9 KB)
June 23, 2016 01:28AM
flyway97
hello friend,
we have released MKS TFT V1.1.4,please visit our github to download and updated.
[github.com]
Looks and work great. Especially nice with the new Move icons. Makes more sense.

I have used TFT28 and 32 since firmware v1 and lots of good updates have taken place, but...

What really needs updating:
  • Update you Github with new info.
  • Create and maintain a proper structure on your Github site!
  • Stop differentiating TFT28 and 32 names, when firmware is the same - it is confusing!
  • Complete English config file Instead of just chinese captions!!
  • Special instructions on how to use the MORE section
  • Include 7 default different icons when user adds MORE functions.
  • Include instructions to the settings in the config file - ie you can change the leveling icon and motor off, but it is not explained.
  • Instructions on how the input file must be named mks_config, but is renamed when booting the device - which MUST be renamed if you want to make changes
  • Add support to input AES2 encryption for wifi module.

June 23, 2016 03:47AM
Ok i got my motors running but having issues with the endstops can anyone who has this set up on a delta post the config file, please

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
June 24, 2016 07:38AM
hello everybody

i've made a new topic just for the screen :
[forums.reprap.org]

for people who have the same problem....

jm
June 25, 2016 05:57PM
dintid did you use their firmware bin from the mks github or smoothiewares ?

up and running
June 25, 2016 10:18PM
chris33
For TFT28 and 32 I use MKS Github

For Sbase I use the newest Edge firmware from Smoothieware.

June 27, 2016 02:39PM
dintid
chris33

Yeah the mks firmware.bin doesnt work properly

up and running
June 28, 2016 12:42AM
chris33
dintid
chris33

Yeah the mks firmware.bin doesnt work properly
Actually worked fine for me.. I just choose to use the newest firmware I could find smiling smiley

Anyone having luck creating new icons for the "more" section? I have enabled the section and added functions.. works great!! but when I create icons and store them in the .bin format as pr. MKS instructions, my screen fails to update - flatly refuses to do so.

June 30, 2016 01:02PM
well i did have the updated version of the MKS VERSION of the firmware, doesnt read the endstops i put a issue on the github and someone else had the same problem, just need to figure out why i cant update the tft firmware

up and running
July 01, 2016 01:00AM
chris33
well i did have the updated version of the MKS VERSION of the firmware, doesnt read the endstops i put a issue on the github and someone else had the same problem, just need to figure out why i cant update the tft firmware
What do you mean it doesn't read the endstops?
Just use the newest from Smoothieware. No reason to use MKS firmware for Sbase controller.

Smoothieware does not have softendstops... I raised an issue and they have plans to implement it, which is why we can define MAX posisitons for the axes.
If this is not what you mean, try posting an image of your wiring. Remember it is signal and gnd and not vin (3/5v) for normal limit-switches.

How do you try to update TFT firmware? Some other tried doing it from MAC and it didn't work.
Maybe try formatting your SD card and then just copy over the firmware: [www.sdcard.org]
Remember the config file MUST be named mks_config.txt when you make changes.... the MKS panel is renaming the file every time it updates firmware, so you have to rename it back to make new changes.

July 01, 2016 03:35AM
I know it doesnt have soft endstops and i went with the mks firmware as that what was offered on the github. and im on about the endstops which you home too and like i said i used smoothieware edge firmware works fine i just put the problem i had just in case someone searching the problem at least now people will know how to solve the issue

up and running
July 01, 2016 04:52AM
chris33
I know it doesnt have soft endstops and i went with the mks firmware as that what was offered on the github. and im on about the endstops which you home too and like i said i used smoothieware edge firmware works fine i just put the problem i had just in case someone searching the problem at least now people will know how to solve the issue
That's not what you said.. what you said was: "i did have the updated version of the MKS VERSION of the firmware, doesnt read the endstops"... now you said you used MKS firmware and later you said smoothieware edge.. but which one is causing problems?

What exactly is the problem? You home and it doesn't trigger endstops?Or endstops doesn't ever work, or?
Just because 1 other have same problem doesn't mean it isn't a user error (like wiring), which is why I asked for phot smiling smiley

Maybe you can post link to your report on Github if that is easier?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2016 04:53AM by dintid.

July 01, 2016 07:38AM
your totally reading it wrong you said you used the latest firmware, i said i used the latest mks firmware which doesnt work proper and if you read it proper i have not got the problem no more as im using smoothieware edge so the is a problem with the mks firmware.bin file which i have said that i put a issue on the the github

up and running
July 01, 2016 08:28AM
chris33
your totally reading it wrong you said you used the latest firmware, i said i used the latest mks firmware which doesnt work proper and if you read it proper i have not got the problem no more as im using smoothieware edge so the is a problem with the mks firmware.bin file which i have said that i put a issue on the the github
I'm not a native english reader. Proper sentences means the world for understanding. Just sorry you don't want to share in an easy to understand way instead of arguing about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login