Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China

Posted by vreihen 
Re: New MKS SBASE Smoothieware-compatible board from China
October 18, 2017 01:39AM
I am from makerbase, The newest Version of MKS SBASE is V1.3 . We never design or produce V1.4.
October 29, 2017 05:17AM
The SMD device is a fuse, this is why 12V no longer powers the board, you need to replace it with another SMD fuse of the same spec. should be available from Ebay.
October 29, 2017 05:25AM
diedirk
Anybody got a solution for my problem:

My board powers/functions just fine from the usb connector, but does nothing at all when i try to power it from the port with 12v (tried multiple power supply's and triple checked the polarity) anybody a clue what's wrong?

Thanks guys

I would guess you've blown your fuse maybe, SMD component F2, use a multimeter to check the resistance across it, it should be 0 ohms, if it's open circuit then you will need to replace it.
January 22, 2018 05:55AM
I have a MKS Sbase 1.3 that does not work.
the only thing that does is to turn on the led d7 and the others are turned off, does anyone know how to solve?

in my research I found a solution for anyone who has RJ1 port problems. I checked with the multimeter and there was no connection as it should.
see the image below

but my problem is another.
the computer does not detect the MKS Sbase through usb.

January 25, 2018 06:06PM
I found the solution.
the MKS Sbase I bought had no bootload installed and no one warned me.
after installing bootload already works.

instructions to install bootload, use a translator
mks sbase bootload install
January 30, 2018 05:30PM
Hi

I have a MKS Sbase 1.3 and I use some 5V endstops (a BL Touch).
Now I'd like to use a special external stepper driver but it needs to have a Vin, which must be 3.3V to match the level of signal (there is an onboard level shifter which needs to be powered)

I did not find any pin where to get this 3.3V. I know that if i wasn't using 5V endstops, it would have been easy (just using the jumper and taking the 3.3V from an unused endstop connector).
Is there a way to solve that or should i go with a dc-dc converter to get 3.3V from 5V ?
February 08, 2018 09:58PM
hello,how to fix optical endstop issue with them not reading them being triggered.Voltage jumper is set to 5 V, sending M119 gives me a X;YZ = 1 response. If I then move the carriage into the end stop slot, thus triggering the end stop, Led light is on , M119 command still gives me a Y = 1 response.Mechanical end stops working no issue . Flashed it with smoothieware=edge last version no changing,optical end stops working fine on marlin board

i found in this topic option to ad" V "behind pin number but not working

change In the declaration of "gamma_min_endstop" to : gamma_min_endstop 1.28v
The "v" argument is for activate the pull down.
February 09, 2018 06:13PM
Hi All,

New to this forum and just testing a 1.3 version of the MKS Sbase.
Weird problem:
- Update to latest firmware seems ok (firmware.bin changes to firmware.cur) and power cycling without sd card works ok (leds blinking)
- When I put an SD card in with a config.txt it does no boot (only D7 lights up) and also does not show up in Windows.
- When I put an empty SD card in there or no SD card, I get a normal boot and the USB connection will show in Windows

Is this a config.txt issue, SD card isse or a broken pcb?

EDIT:
Never mind, the board runs with the default config from the smoothieboard site. Now I have to find the fault in my own config version ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2018 04:12AM by EvR3D.
February 27, 2018 06:35PM
Sorry guys, during ad upgrade i reversed the 12V input... so i check the F2 and D6 and they let pass current... so... what i fried ?

Where is the 12v input voltage regulator ?

What i can check ? Thanks

Usb and board still work properly , only the 12V line is broken somewere :/

Gigio2k - [Pescara] - RepTrash grinning smiley -=Delta G2K=-
| My Thingverse stuff | Vi aspettiamo su Stampanti 3D Italia su Facebook |
March 11, 2018 05:33AM
Before I had ramps based system Sav Mk1, but I fryed the 12v outputs from that card and was forced to start installing Sbase to my old I3. Was meant to install it to my new and shiny corexy.

Does that diode bridge system get rid of the loud high pitch noise?

How do you supposed to use this smoothieware? With octoprint? With builtin webbrowser?

I really think that this is'nt even close to ease of using octoprint and ramps. Octoprint is way too slow to operate with this card. Is there issue with my card or is it normal?

And I have SavOled display and noticed that smoothieware have support for this but I cannot find how to attach it to card.
October 03, 2018 11:33AM
Hi!
I have two boards from MKS, both 1.3. The old one is running in my old core-XY for more than a year without any problem. The newest one I'm using the latest version of Smoothieware (from github), but I'm having exactly the same problem describle here: [github.com]

So my question is: dows anybody know how to solve it?
I'm trying to use new version of firmware (instead of old that I'm running on old printer) because I would like to use some new features, like bed leveling and PT100 (with amplifier board, off course!), plus others things and fixes.

Tks!

PS: both printers are the same (mechanical), Smartrapcore.....and I'm using the same config that works perfectly in old firmware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2018 11:34AM by jmaurin.
October 12, 2018 12:52PM
Accidental hangs are usually due to power problems and mutual interference between the cables. So, in order to compare the old and the new controller, it is important to have not only the same mechanics of printers, but also the exact same components, and their location.

Try to rearrange one controller from the new printer to the old one, and put in it the Micro SD from the old controller, renaming the firmware.CUR to the firmware.BIN. Turn on, restart with the reset button and check if the firmware is installed. And THEN check if the new controller hangs in a completely old environment.
October 12, 2018 01:05PM
EagleB3
Accidental hangs are usually due to power problems and mutual interference between the cables. So, in order to compare the old and the new controller, it is important to have not only the same mechanics of printers, but also the exact same components, and their location.

Try to rearrange one controller from the new printer to the old one, and put in it the Micro SD from the old controller, renaming the firmware.CUR to the firmware.BIN. Turn on , restart with the reset button and check if the firmware is installed. And THEN check if the new controller hangs in a completely old environment.

the old firmware runs perfectly in new printer ( and old too), so its something with new firmware and does only affect mks sbase ( and not original smoothieboard)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2018 01:06PM by jmaurin.
October 12, 2018 01:12PM
MKS uses a 100Mhz chip instead of the 120Mhz chip that Smoothieware is written for ( and that is on the Smoothieboard ). This means as time goes by, it's going to be less and less likely for Smoothie firmware to run on MKS. We are already seeing more and more problems as time passes, and we expect as we implement the next set of major features, you won't be able to use the MKS board at all.

*** X-Files music ***
October 12, 2018 01:17PM
arthurwolf
MKS uses a 100Mhz chip instead of the 120Mhz chip that Smoothieware is written for ( and that is on the Smoothieboard ). This means as time goes by, it's going to be less and less likely for Smoothie firmware to run on MKS. We are already seeing more and more problems as time passes, and we expect as we implement the next set of major features, you won't be able to use the MKS board at all.

*** X-Files music ***

that makes sense. I'll have to go back using old firmware or switch do marlin, which I dont want :/
unfortunatelly smoothieboard is proibitive for me, specially here in Brazil sad smiley
October 12, 2018 01:18PM
Brazil is on the high-priority "get a reseller there because customs are so crazy" list, but we haven't found anyone so far. Still looking.
October 12, 2018 07:31PM
arthurwolf
Brazil is on the high-priority "get a reseller there because customs are so crazy" list, but we haven't found anyone so far. Still looking.

Yeah, that would be great!
I have a company opened in my name, but I don't sell anything (I opened because I need contract with brazilian postoffice). But the problem is that even as a company, tax are too high.....and even now with dollar as R$4,00....so you can imagine your local price plus 4x, plus tax! thats our reality sad smiley

I would love to be a reseller, but I'm sure it's inviable....not because of you, but because of Brazil itself sad smiley
October 15, 2018 02:20AM
arthurwolf

*** X-Files music ***

Do you rely on this frequency for timing purpose ?

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
October 15, 2018 04:38AM
MKSA
arthurwolf

*** X-Files music ***

No, but Smoothieware currently uses up most of both RAM and CPU ressources on a normal 120Mhz board, so a 100Mhz board is bound to have issues.
This is mostly about how many features have been added year after year/how much the board "does".
October 16, 2018 10:41AM
arthurwolf
MKSA
arthurwolf

*** X-Files music ***

No, but Smoothieware currently uses up most of both RAM and CPU ressources on a normal 120Mhz board, so a 100Mhz board is bound to have issues.
This is mostly about how many features have been added year after year/how much the board "does".

Arthur, can you tell me from which version support for PT100 and bed leveling was fully implemented? That's the only features that I need.....so I'll try down to this version instead of latest.

Note that author of issue ticket know the problem and possible solution (but Ican't tbe sure, see: [github.com] ), but it doesn't want to help sad smiley He is frustraded with MKS (and he is right!) and for that he wont help any other user with same problem sad smiley
October 28, 2018 09:10PM
jmaurin

Arthur, can you tell me from which version support for PT100 and bed leveling was fully implemented? That's the only features that I need.....so I'll try down to this version instead of latest.

Note that author of issue ticket know the problem and possible solution (but Ican't tbe sure, see: [github.com] ), but it doesn't want to help sad smiley He is frustraded with MKS (and he is right!) and for that he wont help any other user with same problem sad smiley

I am using the firmware.bin (from smoothieware github, which says 2 months ago) with PT100 and bed leveling with precision piezo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2018 09:12PM by Keshan.
October 28, 2018 10:09PM
Just wondering if anyone tried to run marlin 2.0 on this board, I spent the day try to make it boot, but with marlin 2.0 compiled and copied to the sd card,
it just won't boot, the firmware.bin always changed to FIRMWARE.CUR, but the control board just won't boot.
October 29, 2018 10:51AM
Keshan
Just wondering if anyone tried to run marlin 2.0 on this board, I spent the day try to make it boot, but with marlin 2.0 compiled and copied to the sd card,
it just won't boot, the firmware.bin always changed to FIRMWARE.CUR, but the control board just won't boot.

I don't know about Marlin, but if you are looking for alternative firmwares, there is a pre-built binary of RepRapFirmware for the SBase at [github.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 29, 2018 11:23AM
Keshan

Yes i flashed mine 2 days ago with it, worked first time. You are copying it manually to the card? Why not upload it with VS, make sure to format the SD Card correctly too, this can behave funny if something is not 100%
October 29, 2018 11:33AM
Doesn’t look like a lot of documentation on the RRF precompiled binaries. Is this based of the Duet or Maestro branch? Specifically, does it support th new 12864 LCD structure that is evolving for the Maestro?
October 30, 2018 03:28AM
crussty
Doesn’t look like a lot of documentation on the RRF precompiled binaries. Is this based of the Duet or Maestro branch? Specifically, does it support th new 12864 LCD structure that is evolving for the Maestro?

I suggest you ask here [reprap.org].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 30, 2018 04:23AM
Thank you for the link David! Will follow through the thread in the morning.
October 31, 2018 03:36PM
xelad
Keshan

Yes i flashed mine 2 days ago with it, worked first time. You are copying it manually to the card? Why not upload it with VS, make sure to format the SD Card correctly too, this can behave funny if something is not 100%

Hi,
How does it compare to Smoothieware I suppose you were using on this board before Marlin 2.0 ?
I would like to go back using this MKS board I initially tested with Smoothieware. To try the pressure advance feature of Marlin.I had to put back my old Sanguino upgraded to 1.1.9.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
January 21, 2019 11:13AM
I have the MKS 1.3 which I'm using to set up an OX CNC for laser cutting and etching.

I've been looking at the one-page pinouts and comparing it to the Smoothieware documentation, and also found schematics on Github for the 1.2 version.
I'm trying to figure out a couple of things:

1. Are all the pins capable of being used for TTL versus PWM? I just need 3 (two for inputs to a relay board, one for a laser current MOSFET).

2. Has anyone tried using just the on-board stepper drivers with NEMA 23 medium torque stepper motors (270 oz-in)? My design calls for 4 (X*2, Y and Z).

Thanks!
January 22, 2019 06:17AM
I have answered my own question 1, still hoping to hear back on what motors people are controlling using on-board stepper drivers.

I put together a spreadsheet (LibreOffice calc but should open in Excel) which maps the CPU pins used in Smoothieware config to the silkscreened connectors on the board. Since there is a set of duplicates I've called the power output connectors on the bottom edge BED-PWM, E1-PWM, E2-PWM and FAN-PWM.

I used this as a starting point: [smoothieware.org]
I had some initial confusion as there are different versions of the "green diagram pinout" and some of them are for earlier versions of the board which don't have J7 and J8.

I also don't know what are the functions of TRST, TCK and TMS on J2.
Attachments:
open | download - mks-sbase-pin-usage.ods (18.3 KB)
open | download - MKS SBASE 2.jpg (221.2 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login