Advanced

DIY Tiny OLED I2C full graphics controller

Posted by enif 
Re: DIY Tiny OLED I2C full graphics controller
September 26, 2015 05:57AM
Samlol
I have a problem with I2C Display.
My SD-menu is very slow like this: video

Please tell us more about your setup. Which printer controller? Which firmware and version? What pin configuration are you using for OLED, encoder and SD-card? Any other add-ons?
September 26, 2015 06:23AM
I'm using MEGA / RAMPS 1.4 with Marlin 1.0.2 and 1.1.0 rc1.

other components:

2.42" OLED Display I2C configured
SD card module
Encoder
Beeper

The SD module is wired to AUX 3 on Ramps
Encoder and Beeper like REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER
Display is on SCL and SDA

configuration.h:

#define SDSUPPORT
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER
#define U8GLIB_SSD1306

September 26, 2015 07:09AM
Why do you define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER if you have an I2C OLED? Have you tried with SH1106_OLED_I2C_CONTROLLER or SSD1306_OLED_I2C_CONTROLLER along with the changes described earlier in this thread?
September 26, 2015 07:35AM
Defining REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER because it defines the pins.h and also ULTIPANEL and NEWPANEL like your patch for my breadboard setup.
I tried your patch but it's the same behaviour.

The rest of the menu works great, only if I open "Print from SD" it begins slowing down.
September 26, 2015 09:05AM
enif
dintid
Anyone got it to Work with the new Marlin firmware, where the "Conditionals.h" file no longer exists?

Which version do you refer to, exactly?
Just main fork marlin 1.0.2. - The file "conditionals.h" no longer exists in that build.
[github.com]
September 26, 2015 10:16AM
dintid
Just main fork marlin 1.0.2. - The file "conditionals.h" no longer exists in that build.
[github.com]

It's not "no longer" but rather "not yet", these new files (Conditionals.h, pins_XXX.h, ...) were introduced in 1.0.3dev (which is the one I am using) and are now also in the newest release candidate 1.1RC.
September 26, 2015 08:11PM
enif
dintid
[github.com]

It's not "no longer" but rather "not yet", these new files (Conditionals.h, pins_XXX.h, ...) were introduced in 1.0.3dev (which is the one I am using) and are now also in the newest release candidate 1.1RC.
Thanks.
That's really odd really. I used it on my older printer with old firmware. Meaning from May this year. - No longer has version number in the Configuration.h file though.
October 09, 2015 10:52AM
How come mine looks like this:

[drive.google.com]

EDIT:

i found the problem myself.

it was a driver issue ( i was having a driver SH1106 and not SSD1306) smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2015 02:31PM by TRoager.
November 06, 2015 12:44PM
TinyOLED V1.2 Module 128x64 for RAMPS

• 128x64 pixel 1.3" I2C OLED / 0.96" I2C OLED (Detachable)
• TinyOLED V1.2 Connector Board (Custom Design : 45mm x 37mm)
• TF Card Module (Offline Printing, Detachable)
• Rotary Encoder (User Control)
• BlueTooth HC-05 Module (Wireless Connection - short range, Detachable)
• ESP8266-01 WIFI Module (Wifi Connection - long range, Deachable)

•Change Bitmap to OLED with LCD Bitmap converter
[forums.reprap.org]
[ati-soft.biz]

[www.HKMakers.hk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 12:57PM by fredchan.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20151103_174819.jpg (65.6 KB)
open | download - IMG_20151103_174811.jpg (56.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_20151103_181445.jpg (74.2 KB)
open | download - TinyOLED.jpg (49.5 KB)
December 01, 2015 05:07PM
fredchan
TinyOLED V1.2 Module 128x64 for RAMPS

• 128x64 pixel 1.3" I2C OLED / 0.96" I2C OLED (Detachable)
• TinyOLED V1.2 Connector Board (Custom Design : 45mm x 37mm)
• TF Card Module (Offline Printing, Detachable)
• Rotary Encoder (User Control)
• BlueTooth HC-05 Module (Wireless Connection - short range, Detachable)
• ESP8266-01 WIFI Module (Wifi Connection - long range, Deachable)

•Change Bitmap to OLED with LCD Bitmap converter
[forums.reprap.org]
[ati-soft.biz]

[www.HKMakers.hk]

visited your store, can't put things in cart with Safari, changed to chrome, put whole Displayassembly in cart, proceeded to checkout, saw 34€ shippingfee and no option to change this, closed chrome. I'm lazy and for sure would have paid 30€-40€ in total. But not 70€. Your shipping fee for such small things is ridiculous. And your store doesn't work with Safari.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2015 05:08PM by Skimmy.

Der 3D-Druck ist tot, lang lebe der 3D-Druck!

Schreibt mich nicht mehr an, ich hab das drucken an den Nagel gehängt.
December 02, 2015 12:59AM
Skimmy
visited your store, can't put things in cart with Safari, changed to chrome, put whole Displayassembly in cart, proceeded to checkout, saw 34€ shippingfee and no option to change this, closed chrome. I'm lazy and for sure would have paid 30€-40€ in total. But not 70€. Your shipping fee for such small things is ridiculous. And your store doesn't work with Safari.
Have to agree on the shipping cost argument! Seems like shipping fee goes up alon with the shopping cart and not due to actual costs?

I bought the first DIY 1,3" OLED and been very happy (somewhat) using it smiling smiley But shipping is silly... many/most asian sellers can sell for free, or at least not over $10 for such light items.
Somewhat = Has to use marlin RC to make it Work. It does not Work in latest stable Marlin.. unfortunately the Auto-level in RC makes my printer move very slowly... so for now I have no display.

Any way to make this Work in latest stable version of Marlin

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
December 14, 2015 01:05AM
it's wrong settings for the mail charges, and it's corrected, We are using chrome, Internet Explorer, EDGE and will try to using safari to solve the problem
December 14, 2015 01:07AM
Thanks for the commets, I will try the lastest Marlin out with this TinyOLED,

BTW, the shipping charges is set wrongly and fixed, because I need to setup shipping charges for the Tinyboy 3D Printer Extended with weight is 4KG
!!! :p:

[github.com]

// SSD1306 OLED generic display support
// ==> REMEMBER TO INSTALL U8glib to your ARDUINO library folder: [code.google.com]
#define U8GLIB_SSD1306

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#elif defined(SSD1306_OLED_I2C_CONTROLLER) || defined(SH1106_OLED_I2C_CONTROLLER)
#define BTN_EN1 31
#define BTN_EN2 33
#define BTN_ENC 35
#define BEEPER 37
#define LCD_SDSS 53
#define SDCARDDETECT -1
#define KILL_PIN -1

#elif defined(LCD_I2C_PANELOLU2)
#define BTN_EN1 47 // reverse if the encoder turns the wrong way.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2015 11:15PM by fredchan.
Attachments:
open | download - TinyOLED.png (490.9 KB)
December 24, 2015 07:21AM
How the hell do you guys use it?
I compiled successfully 1306 on marlin kimbra, marlin RC and even repetier 0.92!
But it overloads arduino! 2560+ramps1.4
When I print the printer is stuttering. Cartesian printer.
When I print the same gcode with non grafic rrd smart controller all is good.( yes I reprogrammed arduino every time)
What I need to do?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2015 07:58AM by karabas.
December 25, 2015 12:54PM
How you change the Marlin ?
what OLED are you using ? 0.96 / 1.3" 1306 or 1106 driver ?
December 26, 2015 03:18PM
fredchan
How you change the Marlin ?
what OLED are you using ? 0.96 / 1.3" 1306 or 1106 driver ?

No need to change Marlin ( except Configuration.h and maybe pins.h). Oled 1306 is supported ( arduino pins 20,21)
January 12, 2016 08:44AM
TinyOLED alternative - HMI LCD

[www.youtube.com]
January 13, 2016 01:40AM
Hi,

Have anybody tested this with DUET boards? As the display boards for DUET are very costly, this may be a very cheaper solution.

Will it work with DUET boards?

Thanks & Regards
Selvakumaran
January 15, 2016 10:57AM
Kimbra creates MarlinKimbra4due

[github.com]

it works with any controller board which have serial interface b'cos it's using text character as command to instruct hmi lcd for display smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2016 11:49AM by fredchan.
January 21, 2016 12:23PM
Hi,

Why my lcd display is two color?

Thanks for help.

January 21, 2016 12:37PM
idegraaf
Why my lcd display is two color?

Because some this small OLED displays have the first rows in yellow to use as a "indicator panel": [duckduckgo.com]

Nothing to do by software.
March 22, 2016 08:40AM
enif
I have now made a slightly larger version of the PCB which leaves even with the 1.3" display some gap towards the rotary encoder, which is needed for building a nice frame around the tinyOLED controller:

And also I have now created frames for both sizes of the tinyOLED, based on the above PCB version, which I have put on thingiverse:

I just printed this and there is no way the PCB can fit in there (I bought mine from [www.hkmakers.hk])
The display is a very snug fit, but the casing is 3-5mm too close to the Rotary knob for the PCB to fit in there.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
March 22, 2016 11:25AM
dintid
I just printed this and there is no way the PCB can fit in there (I bought mine from [www.hkmakers.hk])
The display is a very snug fit, but the casing is 3-5mm too close to the Rotary knob for the PCB to fit in there.

The unit sold by [www.hkmakers.hk] uses the same name "TinyOLED" and might well be electronically compatible with my design, but they use a different PCB layout, so -not surprisingly!- it does not fit my 3D-printable double hinged case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 12:13PM by enif.
March 22, 2016 11:35PM
TinyOLED V1.0 for RAMPS
[www.thingiverse.com]

TinyOLED V1.2 for RAMPS
[www.thingiverse.com]

TinyOLEd V1.2 on TinyBoy 3D Printer Extended
[www.youtube.com]

TinyOLEd V1.2 on TinyBoy 3D Printer Extended using DC12V
[www.youtube.com]

you can make a case box easily with www.Tinkercad.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 11:39PM by fredchan.
March 23, 2016 03:43AM
fredchan
TinyOLED V1.0 for RAMPS
[www.thingiverse.com]

TinyOLED V1.2 for RAMPS
[www.thingiverse.com]

TinyOLEd V1.2 on TinyBoy 3D Printer Extended
[www.youtube.com]

TinyOLEd V1.2 on TinyBoy 3D Printer Extended using DC12V
[www.youtube.com]

you can make a case box easily with www.Tinkercad.com
Thank you for you links fredchan
I know how to make items, but it is far less timeconsuming if it is allready made. Seems V1 is not a fit at all. Wodner if the 1.2 fit for hkmakers 1.3" pcb... as mine is Square.

Edit: I rather like the box-style due to the very fiddly natur of the OLED + PCB + SDreader sandwhich smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2016 03:47AM by dintid.

April 01, 2016 12:06AM
do you have photo of yours ? I can check it out ...
Re: DIY Tiny OLED I2C full graphics controller --- Smoothie?
July 29, 2016 08:55AM
I know there is no support as of yet for the driver for this OLED bit I am curious if anyone has tried it as it would be perfect for my new Smoothie Mini powered Delta Mini Kossel.

Samer
January 08, 2017 04:28PM
Hi fellow reprappers,

I am having problems with the encoder which is not working.
Using a modified ramps-fd with marlin kimbra, checked the fw pins file which uses pins 31,33 and 35 just like a ramps does on a normal arduino.
I already swapped the encoder switch with no success..
What I noticed though is that it is advised to use resistors and a small capacitor together with the encoder but then again neither you nor the ramps 1.4 with all the normal display uses it so this can´t be the problem.
But what is the problem? Encoder is grounded on both pins and on the fixing pins. Why does the encoder need GND on two pins?

Heeeeeelp!
January 09, 2017 01:57AM
Yellobello
I am having problems with the encoder which is not working.

What exactly do you mean by "not working": No sign of life at all? Erratic behavior?

Does the push button work and give a beep when it's pushed?

Yellobello
Why does the encoder need GND on two pins?

As you can see on the schematic in the initial post, the grounds are needed for the encoder and for the push button, which are two units in the same case that are not internally connected.
January 10, 2017 12:51AM
Hi! no sign of life at all, not even the pushbutton is working (which should be easy, right?).

do they work by putting the digital lanes to ground? Because that´s just it digital pins and gnd pins this encoder has.. for both the pushbutton as well as ENC1 and ENC2 digital pins and two gnd pins.

I even used a second pushbutton which I know that is working because I just extracted it from another controller that is known to work, so It´s not the button.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login