Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cheap digital storage oscilloscope

Posted by khiraly 
Cheap digital storage oscilloscope
September 19, 2007 03:28PM
Hi!

Im really enjoying nophead blogs, and noticed, that he is using an usb attached digital storage oscilloscope (its much more cheaper as a standalone scope).

My question is, is there a software under linux which is capable to display an oscilloscope like interface? Or more simpler: how can I reproduce this under linux:
[bp2.blogger.com]

So which software and which hardware used by nophead? How much (and where can I buy) is it?

Thank you in advance!
Anonymous User
Re: Cheap digital storage oscilloscope
September 19, 2007 04:42PM
I don't have one, but a while back I was considering buying one and Bitscope caught my interest. [www.bitscope.com]
September 19, 2007 05:39PM
You can also check this out have not used one but have heard good reports [www.picotech.com]
September 20, 2007 01:19PM
The scope I used is a Hantek DSO-2250 USB. It has two channels with 100MHz bandwidth and a max of 250 M samples in total. I think I paid about $380, I am not at home at the moment so can't confirm that.

The software that comes with it can export in various formats, jpg, bmp, xls, doc, etc. I think it is Windows only.

It has quite a lot of glaring bugs which I reported to Hantek for example the trigger polarity has no effect. They responded positively so I hope they will release a new version soon.

Hardware wise it seems OK, perhaps a bit noisy but that may come from the PC I have it attached to.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 03, 2007 11:31AM
Hi,

where can I buy it for $380 ?
Thanks.
Anonymous User
October 03, 2007 01:03PM
A 40MHz BW version for 200$. I have no experience with this vendor or product so try at your own risk.

[www.beigly.com]

or try google winking smiley.
October 03, 2007 01:41PM
October 14, 2007 06:51AM
Many thanks
I will try by
world-educational-services.net
I'm making a list of USB oscilloscopes.
I see now that I need to add a "works with Linux" column.

"PC usb logic analyzers that cost under $1000."
[www.techtravels.org]

"PC based Oscilloscopes"
[prc68.com]
December 29, 2007 12:17AM
In the open source world, I think the best known "digital oscilloscope for Linux" software project is xoscope, see [xoscope.sourceforge.net]

This seems to have some support for BitScope and ProbeScope hardware, in addition to using sound cards for lower bandwidth needs :-)

Jonathan

Jonathan
mccoyn
January 06, 2008 11:58AM
I once built an oscilloscope using a USB-Serial chip and an analog-digital converter. The USB chip was a DLP-USB245M. The ADC was a MAX118CPI. Writing to the DLP would set the channel on the ADC and reading from the DLP would read 8-bits from the ADC. I connected one of the channels to an op-amp so I could adjust the range. I got it to run at 800,000 8-bit samples per second, completely powered by the USB.

I wrote a little bit of software to show the graph and then I lost interest in the project. Maybe I'll try to get it working with xoscope while I wait for the parts to build my first RepRap.

I also set up some clocks and diodes so I could calibrate the system.

It won't be as good as a pre-built system, but for about $50 five years ago it was a good deal. USB-Serial chips were new back then, I imagine they are cheaper today.
January 28, 2008 01:16AM
The xoscope sound-card scope only works for audible-sound frequencies;
~20Hz to ~20KHz or so. This is because it's using your computer's microphone-in EDIT (I mean RCA jack) END_EDIT
jack, which isn't designed to sample > 20KHz frequencies.

I'm going to be ordering a bunch of parts to make a whole bunch of these
for Dorkbot-ottawa-gatineau, the local electronic art group's soldering party / meetup. Should be fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2008 01:58AM by SebastienBailard.
Dear mccoyn:

Mi name is Igor and iwant to ask you if could you please advise me how to assembly this marvelous device that you tell in the message?
It is very interesting for educational purposes.
Thanks in advances.

Best Regards

Igor Capetillo
You also may see digital scope at this site:

[averos.f-sw.com] (AveScope)

Scheme and programm.
Sorri for temporary problems, mirror this site:

[averos1.f-sw.com]
Sorri for temporary problems, mirror this syte:

[83.167.104.65]

[averos.sytes.net]

[www.averos.narod.ru]
July 04, 2008 10:18AM
Aleksey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You also may see digital scope at this site:
>
> [averos.f-sw.com] (AveScope)
>
> Scheme and programm.

So what does it cost and can I get manuals in English or Swedish or only in Russian?
Sorry for my bab English.

It coast $400

Manuals in Russian, but is simple.

Possible translate in English.
New program aviable at our site:

[83.167.104.65]
Gabriel
January 20, 2010 04:16PM
I have put together a comparison table of digital oscilloscopes for hobbyists:
Comparison table
January 21, 2010 02:34AM
I haven't used this myself but if your familiar w/ fpga's then this might one possibility [www.fpga4fun.com]
January 23, 2010 08:44AM
Im thinking along the line of buying owon or rigol oscilloscope.

A 50Mhz rigol oscilloscope (true one, not usb scope) costs 408$:
[www.bestofferbuy.com]

Or an 25Mhz Owon one is 197GBP, 40Mhz 270GBP, etc:
[www.rapidonline.com]

Fairly easy to buy an Owon here, there are local stores they are selling too, and no warranty worries. Buying directly from china makes warranty handling extremely difficult.

Mendel build log: [blog.arcol.hu]
January 23, 2010 04:37PM
I have a Tectronix 454A that I use has no storage 25mhz if I remember right.

I also have the Elector Monitor/TV Scope from the 80's.

Im now thinking of recycling the the Elecktor scope.

Using the existing elektor channel amplifiers.. seems like a quick economic solution to get a storage scope. I have some high speed AtoD chips hanging around some place with an Atmega board.

This could provide a storage scope with stand alone LCD or to use with a PC.

The erlier table of Scopes and Open source scopes has some interesting ideas to persue along those lines.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
January 23, 2010 07:21PM
We have an arduino. From what I've read, it may be possible to get the A/D converter up to 200K samples if you don't mind slight resolution inaccuracy (refer to this discussion thread.) Getting them across the serial line might be another issue (8 bit per sample? Compress 8 samples in 10 bytes? What is the max baud rate to host?)

Has anyone built and programmed something like this? It seems that this would work for a poorman reprappers oscilloscope, as we already have the CPU (well, you might need to just buy another arduino, which wouldn't be the end of the world); I may want to try this on my mega when I start playing with my encoders to see what the waveform looks like.. actually, it would be better if that were plural... I think the mega has multiple a/d channels, but I suspect then I may have to reduce the rate. Still might be worth playing with though?
January 24, 2010 07:29AM
I envisage this being more of an AT-mega firmware exercise to achieve the speed required for this kind of application.

Maybe I am under estimating the speed of a compiled sketch.

I think a USB connection has enough speed for Video then it will be fast enough for a scope application.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
January 24, 2010 10:50AM
BodgeIt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe I am under estimating the speed of a
> compiled sketch.

200KHz is ~1000 clock cycles. C instructions aren't optimally compiled to machine code (I've looked at the disassembly), but I think it should be able to manage that. Well, perhaps, I'm not sure the overhead for the arduino library calls ; however, worse case, I believe the underlying GCC engine supports the __asm keyword, allowing critical pieces of code to be written directly in assembly -- using direct port instructions to read the AD converter; I believe that was discussed on the thread I mentioned, or perhaps a related thread.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login