Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems Programming Extruder

Posted by Gary Riding 
Problems Programming Extruder
July 11, 2010 02:26PM
Hi Guy's

I am wondering if anyone can give me some advise on a problem i am having with one of the boards.. I've got myself a set of Reprap's MIDI Electronics from IPRINT3D , and after having a few problems , I desided i would re-program the motherboard and extruder controller with the latest firmware.

Ive successfully reprogrammed the motherboard , but the only problem i am having is with the extruder controller...

After loading the arduino software and selecting Tools->Board->Arduino Diecimila or Duemilanove w/ ATmega 168 then selecting Sketch->Verify/Compile.

The program compile's without errors.

I then connect the usb to the extruder controller and Select Upload to I/O Board, but i get the following error :

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Ive also tryed holding the reset button and releasing it as soon the Upload to I/O Board button is pressed.. but same error .

Anyone have any ideas how to over come this problem ?

Gary
Re: Problems Programming Extruder
July 11, 2010 02:53PM
There seem to be two different versions of avrdude doing the rounds, one packaged with the arduino code, and the other the generic package.

You need the arduino protocol, not the stk500 protocol, which from the function names I am guessing it is trying to use.

So find the version that comes with the arduino package, and it should work.

David
July 11, 2010 11:19PM
You also get this error if the USB RTS line doesn't reset the extruder controller to get the boot strap loader online.

So your potential problems are:

1. Wrong serial port in use for USB connection.
2. Not resetting board from USB cable (lots of people have this, they learn when to manually push the reset button).
3. IDE enviorment not setup for USB serial connection (sounds wierd if you used standard downloads)
4. Target board doesn't have the boot strap loader loaded into it. (After pressing reset it should blink a number of times, pause and then blink once more).
July 14, 2010 03:52AM
Try letting go of the reset button as soon as the size of the sketch is displayed in the output window of arduino.

Have you connected the USB-TTL cable to the extruder board?
VDX
July 14, 2010 04:02AM
... it's the same with my Arduino Pro Mini and the Boarduino - when the compiled size is displayed in the IDE-window, i press the reset button and it starts uploading ... no real time critical behaviour ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login