Advanced

smoothie vs duet vs?

Posted by woo 
Re: smoothie vs duet vs?
June 29, 2015 02:23AM
JustAnotherOne
dc42
JustAnotherOne
I did not want to go off topic. But I Dont think that a 32bit Board should have a Ethernet. A web cam is not possible with these boards and the transfer speed and features of the Web interface are limited due to the limited processing power.

I disagree strongly. The Duet web interface provides fantastic functionality. Upload speed is in excess of 170kbytes/sec, which I find adequate.

So for a normal g-Code file of 9MB that would be one minute and 10 Seconds at 127kb/s. Or about 8 seconds per MB. I don't think that that is adequate.

But we can agree to disagree here. So whoever wants to wait a minute to transfere a normal file to his printer and even longer for big files can go with Ethernet on an 32bit ARM Cortex based controller board.

Who thinks that that is too slow and / or wants to also have a Web cam should add a RasPi or BBB or another 32bit ARM A* based Board.

@woo: for my board see here : [forums.reprap.org]

Only if we assume that an RPi can upload to SD card faster. It would be nice to have some measurements.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 29, 2015 05:35PM
dc42
JustAnotherOne
dc42
JustAnotherOne
I did not want to go off topic. But I Dont think that a 32bit Board should have a Ethernet. A web cam is not possible with these boards and the transfer speed and features of the Web interface are limited due to the limited processing power.

I disagree strongly. The Duet web interface provides fantastic functionality. Upload speed is in excess of 170kbytes/sec, which I find adequate.

So for a normal g-Code file of 9MB that would be one minute and 10 Seconds at 127kb/s. Or about 8 seconds per MB. I don't think that that is adequate.

But we can agree to disagree here. So whoever wants to wait a minute to transfere a normal file to his printer and even longer for big files can go with Ethernet on an 32bit ARM Cortex based controller board.

Who thinks that that is too slow and / or wants to also have a Web cam should add a RasPi or BBB or another 32bit ARM A* based Board.

@woo: for my board see here : [forums.reprap.org]

Only if we assume that an RPi can upload to SD card faster. It would be nice to have some measurements.

I just did a quick and really dirty measurement. RapberyPi1(not 2) coonected to PC over WLAN and Home network. I uploaded a G-Code file that was shown in octoprint to have 22.2 MB. It took me 68 seconds. That was manually meassured with a stop watch, so not to exact.

These values would result in 334.3 kB/sec that would be 2.6 times the speed of the ARM Controller board (127kB/sec).

The RasPi2 is repoted to have 4 times the computing power of the normal RasPi. My guess would be that that would allow even faster uploads.

Using the Ethernet instead of the Wifi might have an impact. (More CPU load caused by Wifi than Ethernet)

Then doing measurements of upload speeds during ongoing prints might also produce interesting numbers,..
July 14, 2015 07:25AM
I just noticed that Replikeo has reduced the price of the Duet to $59.99 + shipping. IMO that's amazingly good value for a 32-bit board with Ethernet, Digital stepper motor current control, and SDHC card. There is very little that costs less apart from Arduino/RAMPS. I can't think of any good reason to use anything else for single-extrusion printers. If you want dual extrusion, then the MKS SBASE works out cheaper because it has 5 stepper drivers on board; but unlike the Duet, it's not open source.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

woo
July 16, 2015 09:00AM
heloo, well i have purchased board,Rambo from reprapelectro.

let me explain. i have raspberry, and i will dual x carriages. so it is easier to do it with marlin that have it implemented.

but i will also buy duet as soon as reprappro make fisher opensource. i really like that small printer.

thank you!
July 16, 2015 03:45PM
woo
but i will also buy duet as soon as reprappro make fisher opensource. i really like that small printer.

thank you!

It appears that the first Fisher kits have already been shipped, because users are reporting build experiences in this thread [forums.reprap.org].

woo
July 16, 2015 05:09PM
Yes, but printer is still closed source.
July 16, 2015 05:32PM
woo
Yes, but printer is still closed source.

True, but they have said in that thread that they will open source it. I guess they are trying to get a head start over the Chinese clone makers, which is understandable. The electronics and firmware are already open source - the Duet has been open source for more than 18 months, and the Fischer commissioning instructions point to a copy of the latest release of my RepRapFirmware fork.

VDX
July 16, 2015 06:17PM
... they released the files recently, so heading to OS - [github.com]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
woo
July 16, 2015 06:21PM
Haha..well then i need to order duet also lol
August 02, 2015 09:55AM
Well, the Duet also supports Telnet and my latest firmware even emulates Marlin on that line. I for one get ~190-200kb/s for file upload (both for HTTP and FTP transfers), but when I eventually find the limiting bottleneck in the firmware, I hope I can increase the transfer speeds a bit more. But overall I must say that I've been very happy with the Duet considering the progress we've accomplished over the last 1 1/2 years, and I can promise there are still a lot of new features to come!
August 02, 2015 10:06AM
zombiepantslol
I for one get ~190-200kb/s for file upload (both for HTTP and FTP transfers), but when I eventually find the limiting bottleneck in the firmware

I don't know is Far Manager showing right speeds, but there is 280-300 kilobytes/second in my setup with Duet and latest dc42 firmware branch. I'm using 8GB microSD card.
August 02, 2015 10:18AM
roboprint
zombiepantslol
I for one get ~190-200kb/s for file upload (both for HTTP and FTP transfers), but when I eventually find the limiting bottleneck in the firmware

I don't know is Far Manager showing right speeds, but there is 280-300 kilobytes/second in my setup with Duet and latest dc42 firmware branch. I'm using 8GB microSD card.

Interesting! It may have something to do with the cluster size. I get 170 Kbytes/sec (not 127 as JustAnotherOne incorrectly quoted) upload speed to my 4Gb Class 10 card using the web interface. Your 8Gb card may have a larger cluster size, and larger cluster sizes speed up writing because fewer physical access are needed.

August 02, 2015 10:40AM
I apologize for what I said is not very accurate.

My microSD HC card is class 6 and card size is 4GB (not 8GB as I said before). Cluster size is 32 KB (according to chkdisk and diskpart), filesystem is FAT32.

I have uploaded 14173184 bytes of python-2.6.msi distro for 47.42 seconds via FTP plugin. So average speed is about 298 886 bytes/second. Far manager showing right speed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2015 10:41AM by roboprint.
December 20, 2015 07:33PM
dc42
roboprint
zombiepantslol

Interesting! It may have something to do with the cluster size. I get 170 Kbytes/sec (not 127 as JustAnotherOne incorrectly quoted) upload speed to my 4Gb Class 10 card using the web interface. Your 8Gb card may have a larger cluster size, and larger cluster sizes speed up writing because fewer physical access are needed.

Hello,

sorry for reanimating this thead but it seems appropriate. I am currently getting ~6kb/s with a Duet 0.6 and your current firmware 1.09m... while i think 200kb/s is not appropriate at all for modern hardware - 6kb/s is really really annoying and it would be great if someone could point out a way to increase the speed (if there is one.. i bought the duet from replikeo - maybe i just got one from a bad batch?)

On a sidenote: Today i finished (well not really. but it works now.) my Delta printer which i built with your blogposts as a manual (I deviated here and there). HUGE thanks. smiling smiley If you want images - take a look: [goo.gl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2015 07:36PM by Karatektus.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login