Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is my duet dead?

Posted by Trix 
Is my duet dead?
June 27, 2015 02:34AM
Hi,
So i got my first duet board 3 weeks ago and the usb port broke off first time i plugged in the cable so emailed Replikeo and the sent me a replacement which i got today. Now my problem is when i plug the usb in i get the red light on the board next to the usb but my PC does not detect the board nor does it show up in device manager and the end stops do not light up when triggered. I have tried 2 cables and 2 computers with no luck. Did a erase and reset still nothing, Tried diffrent versions drivers nothing, checked to see if any chips get hot by leaving it plugged into the usb for few hours to check for a short everything was nice and cool. So is it broken or am i just missing something?

Update checked pin 1&3 for 5v / 3.3v and im getting 0v on both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2015 03:23AM by Trix.
Re: Is my duet dead?
June 27, 2015 04:34AM
Trix
Hi,
So i got my first duet board 3 weeks ago and the usb port broke off first time i plugged in the cable so emailed Replikeo and the sent me a replacement which i got today. Now my problem is when i plug the usb in i get the red light on the board next to the usb but my PC does not detect the board nor does it show up in device manager and the end stops do not light up when triggered. I have tried 2 cables and 2 computers with no luck. Did a erase and reset still nothing, Tried diffrent versions drivers nothing, checked to see if any chips get hot by leaving it plugged into the usb for few hours to check for a short everything was nice and cool. So is it broken or am i just missing something?

Update checked pin 1&3 for 5v / 3.3v and im getting 0v on both.

If the red light next to the USB port is on, that means 5V power is getting to the board from the USB port.

The endstop lights should illuminate when the endstop switches are closed. For normally-closed endstop switches (which is the norm for repraps, and is recommended), this is when they are NOT triggered.

Check that you have the endstop switch connectors wired correctly. On the Duet, endstop switches use the outer 2 pins of the 3 pin connector, which is not the same as for RAMPS.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 27, 2015 04:37AM
PS - 5V power from USB is fed to the board through D13. Relative to ground, you should have 5V on one side of it, and 4.5V or more on the other side.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 27, 2015 12:31PM
dc42

If the red light next to the USB port is on, that means 5V power is getting to the board from the USB project e endstop lights should illuminate when the endstop switches are closed. For normally-closed endstop switches (which is the norm for repraps, and is recommended), this is when they are NOT triggered.

Check that you have the endstop switch connectors wired correctly. On the Duet, endstop switches use the outer 2 pins of the 3 pin connector, which is not the same as for RAMPS.

Yes the end stops are wired right i used your blog and commissioning guide on Reprappro. the real problem is i can not connect to the duet. the pc never finds it. tried 1.6.1 and 1.6.0 driver's
June 27, 2015 07:12PM
If you reckon that the +5V and +3.3V are not present (which sounds plausible if the endstop switch LEDs won't light up), then I suggest you check that diode D13 is present and fitted the right way round (cathode facing away from the USB port), and measure the voltage on each end as I suggested before. You will find D13 to the left of the bottom of the USB connector, next to D3 (the led that indicates USB power) and C13.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2015 07:37PM by dc42.

June 27, 2015 07:35PM
will check that after work tonight.
June 27, 2015 11:33PM
Looks like i am missing d13.
Attachments:
open | download - Duet (2).jpg (391.3 KB)
June 28, 2015 03:58AM
Trix
Looks like i am missing d13.

That explains why you can't connect to the board when it has USB power only. Whatever testing Replikeo does, it evidently doesn't include any testing with the board powered from USB only.

You could try it with 12V power, however after doing any wiring changes it is good to check the board out with USB power only applied first. I guess you need to tell Replikeo about the problem, then either get them to send you a replacement board, or else get their agreement for you or a friend to add that diode yourself without affecting the warranty. Just about any Schottky diode rated 1A or more should be OK in that position.

June 28, 2015 04:07AM
Aye, I sent them a email with pictures. Im sure i won't hear back till Monday and yes thier Q&A needs some work. So far they have had good custumer service, but 2 boards in row and 4 weeks later and still dont have a working board....

Oh, thank you for the help dc it is much appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2015 04:08AM by Trix.
July 10, 2015 03:29PM
Are you in the US? Curious what the shipping was if you were. Also, would you mind posting photos of the whole board if you have time?

Looks like it has been a couple weeks now, still happy with the customer service? Ever get the diode issue resolved?
July 10, 2015 04:32PM
Yes i am in the US on the west coast, shipping was 30$ and i got it in 1 1/2 weeks.don't have the two boards as they ask me to ship them back at there expense and have not received my replacement board yet so i don't have any pictures of the whole board, not thier fault i ask the if they could get somethings for me and just ship everything at once. They have great customer service, they have done everything they can to make it right. I would buy from them again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2015 04:47PM by Trix.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login