Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RADDS work now stable with RepRap Firmware

Posted by angelo 
Re: RADDS work now stable with RepRap Firmware
June 28, 2016 10:01AM
I have a question about the iapadds.bin update method. If something goes wrong with the upgrade process such as a unexpected power failure, is the due bricked or can you just use bossac to reflash it?
June 28, 2016 01:23PM
Awesome detailed explanation! Thank you.
I'll try the same approach using a Y cable, seems to be the fastest and easier method.
June 28, 2016 02:22PM
ICanBeRobot
I have a question about the iapadds.bin update method. If something goes wrong with the upgrade process such as a unexpected power failure, is the due bricked or can you just use bossac to reflash it?

You can press the Erase button and use bossac to reflash it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 28, 2016 02:40PM
Nandox7 - You will want to double check which wires are for which of the two coils on your stepper and make sure you keep the polarity of the coils correct. If you flip the polarity on A coils and the B coils around the stepper will run in reverse. If you flip just the A coils or just the B coils they wont work at all.
June 28, 2016 02:40PM
dc42
You can press the Erase button and use bossac to reflash it.

Excelent
June 28, 2016 06:08PM
ICanBeRobot
Nandox7 - You will want to double check which wires are for which of the two coils on your stepper and make sure you keep the polarity of the coils correct. If you flip the polarity on A coils and the B coils around the stepper will run in reverse. If you flip just the A coils or just the B coils they wont work at all.

Not so. Flipping one pair of phase wires will reverse the direction. Flipping both pairs of phase wires will not. Exchanging the A and B phases will reverse the direction. If you reverse the 4-pin motor connector where it connects to the electronics, it exchanges the phases and flips both of them, so it reverses the direction.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 29, 2016 12:46AM
Question about G1 and extruding filament.

If I from a terminal issue this:
G1 E10 F600
It will spool out 10mm of filament
If I run it again, nothing happens.
If I then do this:
G1 E-10 F600
It will retract 10mm. But then retract no more. However, it'll let me extrude 10mm again. Or even 100mm on the next try. But then I have to retract 100mm before I can extrude again.

This is quite different behavior from what I'm used to in Sailfish\Marlin\Repetier. I've tried both putting it into absolute\relative modes G90\G91 first, but that has no effect on things.
What am I missing here?
Thanks!
June 29, 2016 01:50AM
Hi everyone,

I'm using repetier on RADDS with an LCD screen and Wifi card (ESP8266).
This screen, with this configuration : [github.com]

Can this screen be supported on RRF with this configuration ?
And the wifi card, with this solution for example : [github.com]

Thanks
@++
June 29, 2016 02:02AM
shofman
Hi everyone,

Thanks
@++

Can? Well, it's open source so it can be.... However, RepRapFirmware on RADDS does not presently support networking nor the hardwired LCD display. It does support the standalone touch screen PanelDue which talks over a serial I/O line. The Duet electronics do support networking, the PanelDue, but not a hardwired LCD display.
June 29, 2016 02:47AM
AK_Eric
Question about G1 and extruding filament.

If I from a terminal issue this:
G1 E10 F600
It will spool out 10mm of filament
If I run it again, nothing happens.
If I then do this:
G1 E-10 F600
It will retract 10mm. But then retract no more. However, it'll let me extrude 10mm again. Or even 100mm on the next try. But then I have to retract 100mm before I can extrude again.

This is quite different behavior from what I'm used to in Sailfish\Marlin\Repetier. I've tried both putting it into absolute\relative modes G90\G91 first, but that has no effect on things.
What am I missing here?
Thanks!

Use M83 to put the extruder in relative mode.

June 29, 2016 02:51AM
shofman
Hi everyone,

Thanks
@++

You can connect either a PanelDue or that wifi interface, but not both because they use the same serial interface pins. RRF can support a second serial port, but I think it's disabled in the RADDS build because all the pins that support serial ports are used for other things.

June 29, 2016 04:09AM
Thanks Dnewman & Dc42 for your answers.
As I prefer using the LCD, do you think that hardwired LCD display will be supported in the future (for RADDS) ?

The wifi is optional, another solution is to use octoprint for example.

@++
June 29, 2016 10:39AM
... And Octoprint could be a solution for the LCD too ?
June 29, 2016 10:57AM
I use an Octopi with my RRF on RADDS. Works great. There is a mismatch in SD card file ops between OP and RRF, there being no "standard" for how the gcode/mcode commands work. Earlier in this thread AK_Eric worked with the OP folks -- Mark Walker namely -- to get OP updated to be able to work with RRF correctly. (OP was, for instance, forcing SD card file paths to have a leading "/" in their name which actually has meaning to RRF.)
June 29, 2016 01:20PM
I'd like to use a cheap 7" tablet PC as display with RADDS. I'd have to use pronterface then or is there a chance to communicate with the Web UI?
June 29, 2016 05:35PM
I use my tablet to print all the time via an octorprint app or via the browser , the thing is you kinda need an octorpint or a pc hook up to the radds, then you control that octoprint/pc with the tablet... unless of course you can hook a 8266 wifi and mod the radds firmware to allow duet web UI, then you wont need a octoprint or pc.
June 29, 2016 10:44PM
Thanks dc42, that did the trick!
dc42
June 30, 2016 02:36AM
AK_Eric
dc42

Or... not:
So when I first turn on the machine, before doing a print doing a M83 lets me extrude \ retract as much as I need, no problem.
However, I start a print off the SD:
Pause via M25.
During the Pause, I enter a M83 again : Retract a bunch of filament. Then extrude some back in.
Unpause the print: Immediately the extruder retracts as fast as it possibly can (picture a stepper whirring as fast as it possibly can), for a good 10+ seconds, either divoting the line due to the extreme speed, or just snapping it.
I've tried this a couple times now, thinking I need to enter a M82 before I unpause, but it's the same result.
Now what am I doing wrong?
Thanks
VDX
June 30, 2016 04:02AM
... it's the difference between absolute and relative positioning of the extruder-movement.

When in relative mode, then it's only moving the value/distance given in the last G-code line.

When in absolute mode, then it accumulates the distances ... so, if you have some meters extruded and send something like "G1 E-1.0" to retract one mm, then it 'winds' all this meters back, before retracting this single Millimeter ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 30, 2016 04:57AM
dnewman
I use an Octopi with my RRF on RADDS. Works great. There is a mismatch in SD card file ops between OP and RRF, there being no "standard" for how the gcode/mcode commands work. Earlier in this thread AK_Eric worked with the OP folks -- Mark Walker namely -- to get OP updated to be able to work with RRF correctly. (OP was, for instance, forcing SD card file paths to have a leading "/" in their name which actually has meaning to RRF.)

Pi3 and 4'' LCD bought from aliexpress.... I have to wait for now !

I've switched from Repetier to RRF yesterday, and... it's great !
The printer is stil under construction, but the configuration seems to be easier.
500 lines in Repetier vs 200 on RRF...

i've lost the screen, and I'm very happy now.Thanks !!!

The LCD is still connected, and I have two interesting things : the SDCard reader works, and the stop button (ie emergency) works too.
I will search an hardware solution to keep this 2 things.

Question about octoprint with RRF : is it possible to update the configuration file on the SD card from it ?

@++

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2016 05:15AM by shofman.
June 30, 2016 09:23AM
AK_Eric
AK_Eric
dc42

Or... not:
So when I first turn on the machine, before doing a print doing a M83 lets me extrude \ retract as much as I need, no problem.
Pause via M25.
During the Pause, I enter a M83 again : Retract a bunch of filament. Then extrude some back in.
Unpause the print: Immediately the extruder retracts as fast as it possibly can (picture a stepper whirring as fast as it possibly can), for a good 10+ seconds, either divoting the line due to the extreme speed, or just snapping it.
I've tried this a couple times now, thinking I need to enter a M82 before I unpause, but it's the same result.
Thanks

If your gcode file was sliced using absolute extruder coordinates, then yes you do need to enter M82 before resuming, if you sent M83 when paused other than in a macro file.

With RepRapFirmware, we recommend you slice using relative extruder coordinates. All slicers that I know of except Cura can do this.

June 30, 2016 12:53PM
dc42
AK_Eric
AK_Eric
dc42

Or... not:
Pause via M25.
Thanks

If your gcode file was sliced using absolute extruder coordinates, then yes you do need to enter M82 before resuming, if you sent M83 when paused other than in a macro file.

With RepRapFirmware, we recommend you slice using relative extruder coordinates. All slicers that I know of except Cura can do this.

That makes complete sense: I guess with firmware of the past this wasn't an issue for me (for whatever reason) : I found the 'relative extruder moves' setting in Simplify3D's slicer: It's now checked on. Thanks!
July 01, 2016 09:37AM
shofman
dnewman

Question about octoprint with RRF : is it possible to update the configuration file on the SD card from it ?

@++

Nope, but once set you dont change the config all the time, plus you can enter the change you need in terminal and it will apply but will reset to the config.g on sd card once you reboot the radds, its useful to change thing on the fly or try need setting.

ps: Je croit que tu parle francais ( Les Anglais ne disent pas @+ smiling smiley), si tu as besoin d'info ou besoin d'explication en francais sur RRF n'hesite pas a me PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2016 09:43AM by GroupB.
July 01, 2016 06:49PM
GroupB

ps: Je croit que tu parle francais ( Les Anglais ne disent pas @+ smiling smiley), si tu as besoin d'info ou besoin d'explication en francais sur RRF n'hesite pas a me PM

Ah je suis démasqué !!!
Et oui tu as gagné GroupB, je suis Français... Je te contacterai en PM si besoin. revenons à l'anglais pour ne pas pourrir le topic avec notre langue à nous spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

For our english friends : I'm agree that I will not change the configuration files all the time... As i said before, my printer is still under developpement. And the mini SDcard port is not well placed in my build... (under the glass/ aluminium / hotbed / cork board). So I'm searching a simple solution to do the job...

maybe an hardware solution like this :
[fr.aliexpress.com]

If someone has an idea, I wil take it smileys with beer
July 02, 2016 02:06AM
That exactly my problem with the sd card too and im not enclose yet but I plan to wire a sd card module to the outside, similar to the one you link , it should work.
July 02, 2016 04:56AM
There are MicroSD_to_USB adapters, but I'm not sure if we could use the programming port for this purpose?
Best way will be to extend the external SD_card port to the outside of the enclosure and also wire the reset pin to a panel.

My Due/RADDS/RAPS128 stack is a pretty tight fit under the bed of my delta, so I've chosen to put it outside the frame.
This was one of the advantages of the Duet 0.6, I had earlier. It fits nicely under the bed and the relevant ports/buttons were accessible from between the vertical extrusions...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2016 05:01AM by o_lampe.
July 02, 2016 08:13AM
Where would I put my z-probe connectors? On a duet it'd be the E0 endstop, but I've found no dokumentation about it on doku.radds.....
Searching the forum for [radds z-probe (all words)] showed each comment where radds was included. eye rolling smiley
WTF does all words mean then?
July 02, 2016 08:44AM
The RADDS version of the config.g has a non defined parameter:
M574 X2 Y2 Z2 P1
I guess it should be S1 or S0?

But either way, I can't make my endstops talk to RRF. Defined as S1 they always show " at max endstop"; defined as S0 they always show "not triggered " when I send M119 command.
July 02, 2016 09:11AM
o_lampe
Where would I put my z-probe connectors? On a duet it'd be the E0 endstop, but I've found no dokumentation about it on doku.radds.....
Searching the forum for [radds z-probe (all words)] showed each comment where radds was included. eye rolling smiley
WTF does all words mean then?

Hi, you can use the PWM3 port for the Z-probe.
then confiure the Line M558 P4 X0 Y0 Z1 H3 F300 T12000
[reprap.org]
Nothing else to do

@++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2016 09:12AM by shofman.
July 02, 2016 09:14AM
o_lampe

Best way will be to extend the external SD_card port to the outside of the enclosure and also wire the reset pin to a panel.

I will do this... and it will do the job.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login