Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RADDS work now stable with RepRap Firmware

Posted by angelo 
Re: RADDS work now stable with RepRap Firmware
February 07, 2018 05:03PM
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the pin connections on RADDS.

The 1.21RC1 build of RRF for RADDS has been available for some time in the usual EdgeRelease folder on github.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 08, 2018 08:46PM
Oh no problem, just wondering if anyone here knows cause I can't seem to find stuff about it. Great I'll download it then!
February 08, 2018 08:59PM
eh sorry dc42, but I can't seem to find it on google, is it possibly to direct link me to it? The 1.21RC release, thank you very much.
February 09, 2018 03:17AM
[github.com]

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 09, 2018 08:27PM
thank you very much! grinning smiley
February 23, 2018 02:41PM
What do i have to do to make this work with TMC2130 stepper drivers? i know how to hook it up, but seems like it might not be as easy as a few configuration changes/pin mapping... recompiling firmware isn't an issue if there needs to be changes.
February 23, 2018 03:08PM
RepRapFirmware has support code for TMC2660, TMC2208 and TMC2224 drivers, but currently not TMC2130. The TMC2660 has the same stallguard 2 feature and high microstepping as the 2130 but handles nearly twice as much current - which is why we chose it for the Duet.

If you want to support the TMC2130, you could adapt the TMC2660 code.

March 31, 2018 07:40AM
There is now a forum at duet3d.com to discuss RepRapFirmware on non-Duet electronics. See [www.duet3d.com]. Feel free to use it, or to continue the discussion here. Or both.

May 05, 2018 04:26PM
I have released a 1.21.1RC1 maintenance release of the RADDS build of RepRapFirmware. See [forum.duet3d.com] for details.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2018 04:26PM by dc42.

May 12, 2018 07:14AM
Hi, thank you for the development of Rerapfirmware. I currently am using Radds with Repetier with no issues. I don't require auto levelling so wondered if I will notice an improvement in print quality if I switch from Repetier.
Or is the RepRap firmware just easier to use? Does it support the LCD display?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 07:19AM by Holy1.
May 12, 2018 12:48PM
Holy1
Hi, thank you for the development of Rerapfirmware. I currently am using Radds with Repetier with no issues. I don't require auto levelling so wondered if I will notice an improvement in print quality if I switch from Repetier.
Or is the RepRap firmware just easier to use? Does it support the LCD display?

It's not possible to generalise. Several users have reported an improvement in print quality when switching to RepRapFirmware from other firmwares - and one user recently reported a reduction in print quality. RRF may be a little less tolerant of bad GCode than other firmwares, because it controls extruder jerk, whereas many other firmwares don't.

Currently the only LCD supported by RepRapFirmware on RADDS is the PanelDue. There is ongoing work to support a 12864-style graphical LCD on the new Duet Maestro and it should be possible to back-port it to RADDS. However, I won't be doing that back-porting because I don't plan to do any more releases for the SAM3X-based boards after the forthcoming 1.21.1 maintenance release. This is because most SAM3X-based boards don't have enough RAM to support the real time operating system (RTOS) that RepRapFirmware version 2.0 uses. The RADDS build could probably support RTOS because it has no networking support (because RADDS has neither WiFi nor Ethernet) so it has more free RAM.

I was hoping that either the manufacturer of RADDS or someone else would take responsibility for the RADDS port of RRF, but that hasn't happened. If anyone does take that on and gets the RTOS build of RRF for RADDS working (which should be easy to do - I can advise if necessary), then I'll accept pull requests so that it can be kept in step with the Duet builds of RRF.

btw I released a RADDS build of RRF 1.21.1RC2a earlier today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 12:48PM by dc42.

LB
July 12, 2018 01:10PM
WOW!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 02:50PM by LB.
July 12, 2018 02:27PM
LB
WOW!

Would you care to elaborate?

LB
July 12, 2018 02:50PM
That must have been quite some work! RTOS! Hope I can get one of those boards in the next month to test it! Thanks for all that work!
July 14, 2018 03:40PM
I have put a new but untested RADDS release of RRF at [github.com].

August 07, 2018 08:40AM
Hey guys, its been a while...

I want to try to pressure feature but im on 1.14 and I hear its bug on this version so im looking to flash the last release I guess but since im coming from 1.14 there are LOT of stuff fix or added . I check the change log quickly but my version is so old and lot of stuff do not apply to us I guess...

Can anyone give me the big change here ? I dont use a lot of feature, I mainly want to know if there something that should be change in my config coming from 1.14 or the way we print.

Also 1.21 release on june 5 is the right one to flash right ? I want a stable release ( dont want to beta test the very last untested one)
August 08, 2018 02:23AM
Nobody has taken on the job of testing RADDS builds of RRF, so I hesitate to call any release stable. The latest build for RADDS is 1.22 at [github.com]. Build 1.22 for Duet is stable.

From memory, the main things you need to be aware of when upgrading from 1.14 are:

- You need to PID-tune your heaters (M303) otherwise you are likely to get heater fault messages
- You won't be able to move axes before homing them unless you put M564 H0 in config,g
- If your printer is a CoreXY then you will need to reverse the Y motor direction (M569)
- The deployprobe.g and retractprobe.g files are run automatically when bed probing, so make sure that you don't have any that you are not using in /sys on the SD card.

There may be other things that I have forgotten. Read the "Upgrade notes" sections of the release notes at [github.com] to check, for all versions after the one you are upgrading from.

August 16, 2018 05:11PM
@dc42 I may have time in the coming months to take it over. Also did you happen to see the issue I opened on GitHub about the MAX endstop pins. Earlier on in this thread you mentioned that you just needed to know where on the Due they were wired to.

[github.com]
August 17, 2018 07:55AM
Yes I saw the issue you raised. However, I have stopped maintaining non-RTOS versions of RepRapFirmware. If you or someone else builds and tests an RTOS configuration of RRF for RADDS, and submits a pull request (which may also include supporting the additional endstop inputs), then I will consider accepting it. You will need to check whether those additional endstop input pins are already assigned to other functions in RRF, for example the Z probe or the fan tacho input.

October 31, 2018 06:56AM
CthulhuLabs
@dc42 I may have time in the coming months to take it over. Also did you happen to see the issue I opened on GitHub about the MAX endstop pins. Earlier on in this thread you mentioned that you just needed to know where on the Due they were wired to.

[github.com]

@CthulhuLabs, are you interested in taking this over? If so then I will do a RADDS-RTOS build of the forthcoming 2.02 release of RRF and hand it over to you for testing.

November 05, 2018 01:51PM
Yes I am interested in taking it over. Please PM me the details.
November 06, 2018 09:59AM
Thanks, PM sent.

December 27, 2018 05:46AM
RepRapFirmware 2.02 was released last Monday, and as before I included an untested RADDS build. A 2.02 release candidate was know to run on RADDS a month ago, so there is a good chance that it will work. You can find it at [github.com].

December 30, 2018 07:52PM
Hi dc42, I'm looking to try out reprap firmware on a delta, mainly very interested the calibration you have in it for delta, is there any tricky bits I need to know, or some walk through, I have googled about it and read thru the installation guide, but a bit confuse as I read here mention radds, there mention duet.

thanks
December 31, 2018 01:54AM
The RepRapFirmware pages at [duet3d.dozuki.com] are independent of board type, except of course any mention of networking or Duet Web Control doesn't apply to RADDS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2019 03:25AM by dc42.

December 31, 2018 09:37AM
Thanks for the link, I have to go get another sdcard then I give it a go
February 03, 2019 12:29AM
So I broke my RADDS board which is why I was not able to help dc42 test the RRF 2.02 build past that RC release. I have moved on to a Duet Wifi.

That being said, I saw something you guys might be interested in. Adafruit has released their Grand Central M4 Express board which is running a ATSAMD51P20 and has the same foot print as the Arduino Mega and Due.

Here is the product page: [www.adafruit.com]

Here is the product overview: [learn.adafruit.com]

It is basically a Due on steroids. It is running at 120Mhz, has 256K RAM, 1M of on uC Flash, 8M of QSPI flash, and a JTAG connector. The only thing I can knock them on it is that the SD card is hooked up exactly like the one on the RADDS.
February 03, 2019 02:42AM
It wouldn't be too difficult to get RRF running on that board, because we already have a partial port running on the related ATSAME51 processor, which is what we use on the Duet 3 prototype expansion board. Shame about the SD card not using the HSMCI pins though. Also a shame that they didn't use the ATSAME51 and use it to provide onboard Ethernet. So the same missed opportunities as on the Due. I guess they prioritised having lots of free GPIO pins over onboard functionality.

VDX
February 03, 2019 04:47AM
... I'm actually changing frm Marlin4Due to Marlin2.0 which has some of the SAM controllers in the list - actually more focusses on the Due, but have some STM32F(x) boards too, what could be the next run ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 14, 2019 12:02PM
I just installed RepRapFirmware 2.02 on my delta. I tried homing the carriages but, after reaching the endstops, the motors made a horrible vibrating noise, like a pneumatic drill and I had to cut the power. I confirmed that all the endstops were working OK with M119. I've gone back to version 1.21 and it's homing normally again. Anyone else tried 2.02?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login