Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Little help matching wires up from these steppers....

Posted by coogrrr 
Little help matching wires up from these steppers....
October 28, 2015 11:02PM
Hey everyone I need a quick hand on this one..... I have the Duet with expansion board. I am wiring these steppers to it - [www.wayengineer.com] and though the colors match its all A and B rather than Step and Dir...... So based on this image - [reprap.org] Can anyone tell me what wires match up to which pins on the the board please.

If you explain 1 I will replicate to the other steppers. Yes I am doing 4 extruders on this build "PrusaKrakken" yes I'll be doing a write up and pics soon!

Thanks in advance!
James
Re: Little help matching wires up from these steppers....
October 29, 2015 04:17AM
The wiring order is black-green-blue-red or the other way round as in your picture.

These pins are not related to step/dir or whatsoever. Those pins belong to the input side of the Duex4 and are handled by the huge board-to- board connector.
-Olaf
October 29, 2015 12:02PM
O_Lampe - I guess I am not understanding. The Duet as shown in the picture from left to right is re-blue-green-black - are you saying I should just match them? The web page I sent you specifically stats that the Black is A+ Green is A- and Red is B+ and Blue is B-. As far as I know it does matter which wire goes to which pin so that your sending step pulses to the proper pair and direction to the proper pair. So if I can be told that the Duet uses Pins xx and yy as the step or dir pins and that the A+/- pair should go there and the pins for DIR are some other pins I can place the B+/- pair there - that would be what I am looking for.

This is for the extruder steppers by the way.
October 29, 2015 01:56PM
Yes you can just match them. The important thing is that on the Duet 4-pin motor connector, the two A wires are next to each other, and the two B wires are next to each other. If you get that wrong, the motor will just buzz loudly instead of turning.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 29, 2015 03:46PM
and then... BAM!!!! Dave shows up! Thanks again - think were going to become fast friends!

Ok got it - the two A wire next to each other and the 2 B next to each other.... for me if I am wiring my stepper to Extruder 1 on the expansion board it is going to be exactly as the picture shows. My stepper document says Red and Blue are both B and on the wiring diagram this is the first and second pins. Then its Green and Black on pin 3 and 4. I know this is not the actual pin numbers - this is the physical location from left to right as oriented to match the picture.

Red - Blue - Green - Black - 1 2 3 4 rinse repeat for each of the 4 extruders.

No I am not going to hold anyone to anything said here - I do this all of my own accord and accept the responsibilities - but then that's how my parents raised me and how I just raised 5 kids too! Just made it to "Empty Nester" status! ..... time being as precious as it is just became a little more available ... not much... but a little!

Thanks all!
James
October 29, 2015 04:02PM
Two tips:

1. If you find that the motors go backwards, then you can correct that either in the corresponding M569 command in config.g, or by reversing the 4-pin motor connector on the Duet. But:

2. Never connect/disconnect motors with any power (even USB power) applied, because doing so may damage the stepper motor driver chips on the Duet. [This applies to other printer electronics too.]

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 29, 2015 07:23PM
Yes on point 1 - and double yeah! on point 2. This is actually my 3rd printer and I have done a CNC prior. So while still a nooblet and student to this Duet and the the expansion I certainly heed those warnings with top priority!

You also made me think about something when you said driver chips.... Did you or do you recommend that I put the heatsink stickum and heatsinks on the duet? I will have it in an enclosure with fan cooling drawing ambient room air over it just wondered if the sinks are required or optional or simply not needed.

Thanks as always
James
October 30, 2015 12:12AM
Modern stepper driver chips are designed to be cooled through the PCB. So I recommend that the Duet either be mounted vertically so that it will be cooled by convection, or you use a fan near the edge of the board to blow air over both sides of the board, preferably along the row of driver chips. Stick on heatsinks may do more harm than good because they are likely to reduce the air flow in contact with the top surface of the PCB.

October 30, 2015 04:27PM
Awesome information - I can set it up so that the fan will blow directly across the chips in my design.

Much appreciated.
James
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login