Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet v0.6- non-ATX PSU wiring ?

Posted by Epop 
Duet v0.6- non-ATX PSU wiring ?
November 22, 2015 06:50PM
Hi,

I purchased a "Mean Well SP-480-24 " It has standard screw terminals and a plug in addition for a remote.

The terminal is labeled
+S , RC+, NC
-S , RC- , GND

So... Would there be a reasonable way to, instead of using the RRP 5v regulator PCB, knock down the 24v supplied @S+- to 5v and use RC+- to provide the same functionality as an ATX PSU?

Thanks,
Re: Duet v0.6- non-ATX PSU wiring ?
November 23, 2015 04:38AM
If you don't want to use the 5V regulator PCB, why not enable the switching regulator on the Duet instead, by putting a jumper across the 5VEN pins and removing the one from the ATX5VEN pins?

I didn't find any information on how the RC pins are used on the Meanwell datasheet you linked to.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 23, 2015 04:50AM
My 5V regulator board that came with the replikeo Duet0.6 passed out at 27V ( thermal shoutdown ).
The 7805 is poorly cooled so running it at 24V might not be stable.
-Olaf
November 23, 2015 10:28PM
Sorry I made a poor choice of links, and Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up Olaf.

Mean Well Report
Bottom of pg3.
""
remote control
"Specication"
Rc+/Rc-
0v~0.8 V Power On
4v~10 V Power Off
""
though that's not much practical info. I could try calling them since I've failed to find more useful information online...

I don't have anything against the RRP 5v Reg. board but if I don't need it... I don't need it. that being said I probably could have made a more appropriate choice of PSU in the first place.

I keep reading that the buck converter on my version of the board has inherent problems and the RRP comment is that by using the 5v regulator PCB it will be 'powered correctly'... so then providing 5v directly to begin with would power it correctly... but by not supplying 5v directly it ~works... is how I've interpreted it.

Thanks,
November 24, 2015 05:25AM
Epop
I keep reading that the buck converter on my version of the board has inherent problems and the RRP comment is that by using the 5v regulator PCB it will be 'powered correctly'

The only "inherent problem" I am aware of is that the buck converter on the Duet 0.6 generates too much EMI for RRP to certify the kit to CE standards when the buck regulator is used. They still use the buck converter in the Fisher kit.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login