Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet controller - External motor controller

Posted by zitman 
Duet controller - External motor controller
January 05, 2016 03:20AM
Just working on the design for my new printer and was wondering if the Duet controller could control an external stepper controller such as this one:

Stepper Controller

My reason behind this is so I can use a more powerful stepper motor for the Z Axis.

Just thinking at the moment.

Z

My blog: 3DR build and more . . . .
Re: Duet controller - External motor controller
January 05, 2016 03:33AM
There are several people using the Duet with external stepper motors. I added an option to the M569 command in my firmware fork several versions ago to make this easier, by allowing you to switch the drivers for particular motors from the internal drivers on the Duet to the ones on the expansion connector. One issue you could face is that the step pulse width generated by the Duet might be too short for your external driver, but I haven't heard of anyone having this problem.

You don't necessarily need an external driver for a more powerful motor. If you choose a Nema 23 motor with a rated current in the range 1.5 to 1.8A and you use 24 to 30V power, the Duet should be able to drive that, as long as you are not looking for very high speeds.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Duet controller - External motor controller
January 05, 2016 03:40AM
Wow, quick reply! I was thinking of using it for the Z axis so movements would be small and not too rapid.

More food for thought so thanks for that.

Cheers

Z

My blog: 3DR build and more . . . .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login