Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gen7-ARM released!

Posted by Traumflug 
VDX
Re: Gen7-ARM released!
February 23, 2016 04:51PM
... I have some bad experiences with software-set pots, currents and such - especially with digi-pots, which are set per I2C or SPI at boot-time eye rolling smiley

While a discrete pot can be secured with a droplet of glue, software current controls can misread/write or go bad without forewarnings ... had two occasions, where pretty expensive hardware started to fume, because a (high-quality) digipot caught a wrong setting at startup sad smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 24, 2016 04:22AM
If I 'm not wrong, this thread is about a DIY board which is obviously of interest to people that, to put it politely, have the necessary knowledge required to adjust a little pot.
This feature is a nice-tho-have-but-wont-be-missed type of thing in this context, at least that's how I see it smiling smiley

Nice design, well done @Traumflug.
February 24, 2016 06:18AM
I believe it's in all best interest to learn a bit about electronics while working on their printer. I know nothing about electronics but with all the chinese part i've orded for my build I included a multimeter and a gas soldering pen. I adjusted the pots with the help of the multimeter in minutes and used the formula on the polulu website for the kind of motor I had. It was really piece of cake.

I would guess that having the option for both would be even better but only if the firmware knows what to do with it and wouldn't hurt more, as VDX mentioned.

And @Traumflug" this is not becoming FUD. Having two guys of your caliber is only increasing the interest for your board. If you reach an common ground, the better for us but if not, I am planning to wet my fingers and try to get all the parts to build one. I believe in open source so I'd first consider OS option, then, if no choice, resentfully, closed source.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 06:23AM by realthor.

RepRap Lander concept on Concept Forge
RepRap Lander concept on RepRap Forums
My Things, mostly experimental stuff
March 03, 2016 01:50PM
This version again with picture-by-picture assembly instructions: [reprap-diy.com]

May everybody capable of holding a soldering iron also be able to solder a Gen7!

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 11, 2016 12:29AM
The fault imo belongs with the producers of each of the little stepper drivers carrier boards. All of them should of used pots type of 3296 multiturn, simply because those are so much better than the cheap standard carbon track type of pots. With 3296 types the ppls burning their tracks would of been avoided in the first place.
March 11, 2016 12:31PM
That's not good for business smiling smiley ... designed obsolescence brings money in today's economic model.

RepRap Lander concept on Concept Forge
RepRap Lander concept on RepRap Forums
My Things, mostly experimental stuff
March 12, 2016 07:39AM
NoobMan
All of them should of used pots type of 3296 multiturn

If this makes such a stepper driver just $0.50 more expensive, they don't have a chance. Most RepRappers are extremely price sensitive ... and many of them don't mind to buy two or three controllers to have one working specimen. That's logic :-)

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 13, 2016 08:03PM
Traumflug - Thank you for the update, and support.

dc42
...... or standard drivers modified by removing the pot and connecting the 9th pin to where the slider was, or the new drivers that I was going to have manufactured. ......

Why design a board for options that are either not available, nor std?

Frankly, I wouldn't spend 20 minutes per driver to modify & solder an additional line. I'm not likely to damage driver by turning a screw, and much faster. I can use drivers I already have. The MKS Sbase and Replikeo Duet boards that you refer to on an earlier post have built in drivers, so the board is trashed if a driver blows. Same with Rambo board, I've replaced one for a local HS, $100+ week of downtime instead of a $2 module.

Any thoughts on adding an additional driver for a second extruder?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2016 08:03PM by Dad911.

Thingiverse ID Alan1279
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login