Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Powering my makerbot Gen 3 electronics...

Posted by AgeingHippy 
Powering my makerbot Gen 3 electronics...
October 19, 2010 08:21AM
Hi All

I have the pre-assembled Makerbot Gen 3 boards and am applying minimum modifications as applicable, BUT I am planning on replacing the Molex connectors on the Stepper drivers with the two-way 5.08mm-pitch screw connector as found on the Reprap version. (This is to avoid interfering with the bed movement).

Looking at the pinout of the ATX Molex power supply as found here it seems the plug supplies both 5V and 12V power but the Reprap modification only takes 12V power supply according to the reprap mods age (scroll down a bit).

Where does the 5V supplied to the opto-switches come from?

If I am powering my motherboard using the ATX power supply then do I need the 4 pin supply to the stepper drivers or is it OK not to provide the 5V? Does the Makerbot configuration just use this connector because it is standard on the ATX even though it does not need the 5V supply?

Thanks
Re: Powering my makerbot Gen 3 electronics...
October 19, 2010 08:32AM
YES, only the 12v is used on the Mendel, BUT the Motherboard needs a modification for 3.3v.
See the Replacing the connectors on the Motherboard wiki page.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
October 19, 2010 10:49AM
Hi Bob

Before I get too confused, I am planning on only adding the reset jumper and the heared for the SDA/SCL connection to the extruder controller onto the motherboard and connecting my ATX power supply 20(24?) pin plug directly onto the motherboard.

It was the power supply to the extruder controller and the stepper controllers that were/are confusing me.

If I make no other mods to the motherboard above what I have mentioned here, is it still adequate to only provide the 12V supply to the stepper drivers.

Having said that, I may get some 90 degree molex connectors and use them instead. this chap uses them in a non reprap situation and ithey seem to tidy things up a bit. If anyone knows whether these 90 degree molex pins will (or will not) interfere with the bed please let me know.
October 19, 2010 11:04AM
YES, the stepper controllers only use the 12v!
The 90° molex connectors should work fine.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
October 19, 2010 01:47PM
Thanks again Bob.

Another question (I typed in final but I doubt that lol) regarding powering the boards.

Am I right in understanding that if I connect the motherboard to the extruder controller using a CAT5 cable and RJ45 connectors the power is provided over the cat5 cable?

this page seems to tell me this smiling smiley

Now to get my motherboard firmware compiled and uploaded....
October 19, 2010 05:22PM
YES, that is correct.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login